Doctor Who

Clara's birthday on the gravestone was 23rd November

Doctor Who's first episode, and next years 50th anniversary air on the 23rd of November

Moffat, sly fucker

Yep.

Edit...already covered. :p

This one kinda screwed with my mind.

Dont keep killing people then bringing it back. It cheapens the death. :-(

Last edited:
Clara keeps dying and yet is brought back from the dead. Who is Clara?
YoSafBridge Clara Oswin Oswald obviously is Rory. Dying again and again, just like him (and Kenny from South Park).
On a slightly more serious note, this was a brilliant episode! While Matt Smith's Han Solo impersonation was, let's say, suboptimal, I liked him coming around to his old, bowtie-wearing self. And I loved how, after the kissing and flirting, Closwin dropped the "I like making souffl?s" bomb on the Doctor.

And I must confess that I did not realize that the Doctor never saw her face in "Asylum" until Moffat pointed it out to me. I guess I'm just too used to Star Trek/Babylon 5/Skype-style video chat.
Moffat once again started the season (or the second part of it) off with a brilliant episode. Let's just hope that, unlike in the first half of the season, he'll keep the standard up for the remainder of it.

And Jenna-Louise Coleman, by the way, is much more attractive to me than Karen Gillan.

Last edited:
Just a few comments:

1) Moffat, where the hell was the fucking plot of this episode? You spent all the time setting up this half-season's arc story and establishing our recurring subsidiary characters. You did a better job staying on topic last year, and that's really saying something, since that was a half-baked mess.

2) Something started nagging me about our villain from moment one, and it wasn't the Voice Of God, aka one I. McKellen, CH, CBE. The moment that Eleven said, "A map of the London Underground, 1967", I stopped it and said to myself, "No, Moffat, you are not serious." I know my Troughtons, you see. And he was serious. And he had the Doctor not remember. He's pissing me off.

3) What a waste of Richard E. Grant, the real Nine.

4) The new intro...well, this episode was right up there with The Leisure Hive, The Twin Dilemma, and Time and the Rani. The existence of Castrovalva does not mitigate against first episodes with the Doctor's face in a starfield/space background (and the closing credits of The Caves Of Androzani doesn't count).

I need a drink.

I have only two things to say about this episode.

1. The new intro - that's what LSD trips must feel like.
  2. ?????

Meh, found it a bit dull to be honest.

Also, Moffat. Is he incapable of writing a companion character that isn't a love interest for the Doctor? Also perhaps a less frenzied pace? They met knew each other through sporadic meetings for a few hours before she wanted in his pants.

Also, when did the Doctor become so bi-polar? At first he is refusing to help anybody and living alone in a cloud because "boo hoo, everything withers and dies one day" and then goes full "I'ma save the world". He lacks the depth of the 9th doctor or the balance of the 10th and just ends up bouncing between two extremes like a sulky teenager who keeps getting dumped.

Also where was the episodes plot? The set up for the next season was there but the snowmen felt tacked on and un-necessary other than to give the Doctor a reason to show up. They weren't exactly threatening, they just stood there and would melt if you thought about it. The Great Intelligence just seemed under used...
Oh, and when it started "raining" even my 12 year old sister thought the tears of the crying family on Christmas Eve melting the snowmen was worth an eye roll or two. That's the problem with Moffat, his stories are far too complex for younger children to understand while seeming incredibly clich? to anybody older.

Perhaps all will become clear throughout the next series

I liked the theme tune/opening though, cool throwback to the classic series, the TARDIS redesign is also pretty snazzy.

Captain, has BBC Alba shown another episode than regular BBC? ;)

Actually, he makes some very valid points. The answer to the question at the beginning of the Captain's second paragraph is "when Matt Smith took over".

About the "love interest" thing: Every single Doctor since the relaunch has kissed every single companion, love-interesty or otherwise. And why do all the girls fall for him? Well, let me bring in an expert on inter-species hookups:
Not James T. Kirk said:
Hey doll, is this guy boring you? Why don't you talk to me instead? I'm from a different planet.
you must admit he did turn out to be from another planet.

Last edited:
Yeah this wasn't too great an episode for me. I liked it, and it was a nice way to introduce the new companion, but otherwise it was useless.

Firstly I really dislike the Victorian era being used so much, especially during Christmas. Or at least some point in history for the Xmas special. Why is everyone so obsesse with it?
Along with this; why is still noone bothered at all by aliens? Sure this is the Doctor Who universe, but still it isn't the case that aliens live among us. If a green thing turned up at my door I would be wtfing my butt somewhere else.

Otherwise a decent enough intro to Clara - interesting to kill her to see where Moffat is taking this whole living on thing.

And yeah the plot was hopeless.

And Jenna-Louise Coleman, by the way, is much more attractive to me than Karen Gillan.

Liking the new companion so far. Seems much more capable than her 1 trick pony predecessor.

Agreed. KG has weird legs for a start with virtually no calves. I know a lot of people raved about her both as an actress and a character but the whole Ponds thing never really worked for me. Jenna Louise is extremely attractive (for those old enough reminds me a Joanne Whalley at the same sort of age), she has a good deal of acting experience under her belt and the character they have created seems to be a really good foil for the Doctor. I'm certainly looking forward to how her character develops.

Speedtouch: Because Dickens, and because that's when most British Christmas traditions originate from, like the Christmas pudding. Also, it has the advantage of being evocative to a worldwide audience. This isn't really the case for, say, the 1970s, although it'd be interesting to see what the Doctor and Companion Du Jour end up doing in between watching Morecambe and Wise.

I'm certainly looking forward to how her character develops.

Since we've now had a little time for a palate cleanser, I'm hoping that Claroswin can develop into a Romana/Martha type, someone who can keep up with the Doctor intellectually. That's what eventually won me over with River, who I absolutely loathed at first. However, if her character development is too subsumed into the arc story, which it's set up to be, that's going to be trouble.

Wouldn't it have been great to see a Christmas special with the Doctor and River working out their mutual loss together in the midst of some new alien threat? Smith and Kingston could have pulled that off really well, and I have a lot more confidence in Moffat writing a script like that than what he's come up with for the last couple of Christmas specials.

Speedtouch: Because Dickens, and because that's when most British Christmas traditions originate from, like the Christmas pudding. Also, it has the advantage of being evocative to a worldwide audience. This isn't really the case for, say, the 1970s, although it'd be interesting to see what the Doctor and Companion Du Jour end up doing in between watching Morecambe and Wise.

Yeah but it's overdone. It's overdone because people are boring and like it, but I'd much rather see the Doctor save Morecambe and Wise's show. :lol:

We have to decide if it's Closwin or Claroswin. :D

I vote for Claroswin.

Have we seen the last of River now that the Ponds are gone? I've not read anything like that, and it would be a shame. I really likve River.

This isn't really the case for, say, the 1970s, although it'd be interesting to see what the Doctor and Companion Du Jour end up doing in between watching Morecambe and Wise.

If I remember correctly, the Doctor is forbidden from the 70s.... Not the whole decade mind you but, somewhere in that time frame...

We have to decide if it's Closwin or Claroswin. :D

I'm going with Claroswin. Closwin sounds too much like one of those stupid fandom smush ship names.

If I remember correctly, the Doctor is forbidden from the 70s.... Not the whole decade mind you but, somewhere in that time frame...

Maybe, maybe not. We're still not sure where Moffat stands on the UNIT Dating Controversy, although given that line in the special, it seems he's going with Contemporaneous With Broadcast...