Doctor Who

Though somebody's gonna have to explain the Beethoven thing. Is Doctor Who Beethoven?

Well he told you that it wasn't a true story at the start, but we keep being told and know that he lies. It's up to you, do you think he's Beethoven? :p

OK, so that was the worst of the year so far, which is surprising given how much I enjoyed last week's. Some nice dialogue moments, but the plot was too thin to hold it together. I don't think Maisie Williams pulled off being 600yo either.

Quite the opposite experience for me. While I have not been enjoying this season very much, E5+6 was a delight.
Ashildr character as a sweet and innocent girl as well as the bitter and callous woman were both absolutely brilliantly acted and written.

In fact, I think I shall re-watch both episodes back to back right now.

I have to agree with S?dschleife. The second half of this two-parter was brilliant after several episodes of Clara basically playing a clich? damsel in distress. Maybe I am a victim of feminist propaganda, but I really liked Clara taking a more active part than just standing around looking amazed in the last season and especially when teamed up with Missy in the opener. Dialing her back to damsel in distress is not only boring but does not really fit her established character development. So not having her around was actually better for me than having her waxing on and on about how the Doctor will save all.

To me, Clara feels more naturally written this year. Last year, it felt like they were pouring character development down her throat to make up for S7. I agree that she's not been given much to do lately, but she hasn't been coming across as more damsel-in-distress than any other companion IMO.

Anyhow, latest episode:

What the hell is Turmezistan? Use a real place FFS.

It was decent. If they were going for a topical political thriller though, they should've forgotten about writing for a family show for a while. The church scene was silly.

No need to spoiler that, it's hardly a major plot point.

I'm wondering if every plot in this run will be a two parter and if this is what they will be doing from now on. I think it really works and makes each story about the same length as the old ones before the relaunch which were usually 4 x 25 minutes.

For me this story is too heavy handed an allergy. It's hurting the fantasy of it. I don't watch Doctor Who for commentary on current events.

Many dutch! Much tilt! I haven't seen more dutch angles since the 60s Batman series! I also really liked how they distinguished evil Clara from normal Clara through light and make-up. Evil Clara looks hotter, as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWF
That... was basically just the Russian Sleep Experiment, but sillier and more Doctor Who-ified. The ending was the most quintessentially creepypasta thing I've ever seen.

Not sure about the
sentient sleep dust
, but apart from that I really enjoyed it.

It completely lost me, I'm still not sure what was going on. Maybe I'm being a bit thick and missing the point though. I like stand-alone DW episodes but this isn't one I'll be going back to watch any time soon.

I found myself asking the same.

I liked it. Can't claim to have made sense of it, but was entertained.

So, next week Clara will be killed off?

I liked it. Can't claim to have made sense of it, but was entertained.

So, next week Clara will be killed off?

Literally? :cry:

Damn that was a good one. Now wishing I had a Tardis so I could jump ahead to see the last two of this run right now.

Damn that was a good one. Now wishing I had a Tardis so I could jump ahead to see the last two of this run right now.

The episode really caught me out. was expecting the usual Doctor turn it around in the last minute and save Clara.

Given the names of the next episodes I thought those would be how Jenna leaves the show, but didn't expect her to go this week

I hope they don't ruin the great ending with some fix everything and everyone's alive and happy crap in the next 2 episodes. If I remember correctly since Doctor Who returns this is the first companion he's properly lost, I know Donna lost all her memories

Last edited:
I think we are safe on that front. Next week only has one acting credit and I reckon it is going to be a cracker. What happens the following week is going to be interesting.