Does any one smoke here?

Does any one smoke here?

• Total voters
I don't drink much. Drunkards kill people all the time in vehicles. BAN ALL ALCOHOL!!!

That did not work so well the first time they tried it. And the Drug War, prohibition 2.0, has not worked out so well either.

If the statistics are indeed correct and 30% of adults smoke, why would a bar alienate most of the population?
I don't oppose bars having a smoking section, or even if the whole bar is permitted, but as long as there's good ventilation (by law, there should be). Most of the times the ventilation is either inadequate, or turned off (cos it makes the place cold in winter, specially those little fans glued to a hole in the windows).
So yeah it's not really an option to just "go somewhere else".

Then a bar catering to the those in the 70% who hate smoking should do pretty well.

Except they don't. There was a couple of bars that did that in the mid 90s not far from me. They nearly went bankrupt in a short amount of time. In fact, one of them turned into a cigar bar to survive.

I bet they are selling multiple drinks drinks to people too.

For whatever reason I thought you meant banning them. I misread.

Not banning, but a set of rules (that most countries already sort of have but never really follow) where the smoke from those who choose to doesn't affect the health and mood (because sometimes it's plainly annoying) of others who choose not to.

Then a bar catering to the those in the 70% who hate smoking should do pretty well.

70% don't smoke. Doesn't mean they hate smoking. As you might see from this thread most of us who don't smoke don't mind it as long as it's dealt with in some way. Smoke extractors, for example, which are mandatory but often not enforced.

Not banning, but a set of rules (that most countries already sort of have but never really follow) where the smoke from those who choose to doesn't affect the health and mood (because sometimes it's plainly annoying) of others who choose not to.

70% don't smoke. Doesn't mean they hate smoking. As you might see from this thread most of us who don't smoke don't mind it as long as it's dealt with in some way. Smoke extractors, for example, which are mandatory but often not enforced.

Perhaps. And if you could find a way for people around me to smoke, but I wouldn't have to either smell it, or reek of it afterwards, then I wouldn't mind.

But my mom smoked and I still associate that smell with her dying. And even when she went outside to smoke, she reeked of it, and then came inside and sat on my furniture. When I would pick up the phone to use it, it also reeked of stale smoke and just grossed me out.

So, it's not just the second hand smoke, it's also the smell that follows smokers around and lingers everywhere. I still Febreeze the shit out of my car when I get in, because after 3 months of her being gone, I can still smell it in there.

Perhaps. And if you could find a way for people around me to smoke, but I wouldn't have to either smell it, or reek of it afterwards, then I wouldn't mind.
E-cigs don't leave that smoke. They do bug my eyes, but that's only while the person is actually smoking them. If they're not actively smoking, it's gone.

And yes, the lingering smell bothers me more than second-hand-smoke, too.

Here in Illinois there is no smoking in any public or quasi public building (business), and smokers have to stand at least 15 feet from the entrance.

I liked it when I was a smoker, and I like it now when I am not.

Yeah this is true and I mentioned it before where I said smoking not only bugs non smokers in matters of health, but also of mood. There's nothing worse than sitting in a public transport and having someone who was smoking while waiting the bus/train sit next to you. But well, we have to draw the line of tolerance somewhere.

But I'm 100% with you, that lingering smell is terrible. It's just that smokers are so used to it that they don't understand why or how it bothers non smokers so much.

Last edited:
Yep, my mom and my one brother simply could not smell the stink on them. I got to the point that I just carried a small bottle of Febreeze with me. :)