Does anyone actually like Sony?

How do you compare those two phones? I have a W810i and I a planning on replacing it this year.

I love the w595, except for the battery life issue, but not many people I have spoken to online have that problem. I'm thinking it's a dodgy batch of them. w810i was awesome for me, so that was my main reason to choose this. My uncle had the w810i as well and upgraded to the w595 with me and he loves it too (except his battery is shite as well). My aunty hates hers (w595 again also with the bad battery), but she's used to motorolas.

that is the problem of 3g-phones "bad battery life" if you don't use the 3g for anything you should consider putting the 3g off and use the gsm only.
With that i knowlegde i did it to my moms nokia 6151, full battery = 1 day
was replaced to 6 days of the same usage as your. But not with 3g.
Maybe the problem is the "high" frequency (2100Mhz in finland, 900Mhz coming) that 3g uses.

3g life for it is quoted as 15 days, most people online I have asked are getting a week (as my mum is with her phone, which is a nokia n-series with the same type of battery that gets used 10 times more than mine does) out of it. This is just weird.

On a side note, Viilaagaa you pay that much for those speeds? I would have thought anywhere in Europe would have had decent inet for reasonable prices.

Yes they just raised the fee like 9 euros/monht :p and i live 3km away from the excange in a building builded 1987, so only telephone jack everywhere in my home :( (and no upgrading in sight like in 10 to 15 years).

Besides its because isp's want to enhance the "3g" or mobile broadband, but not implement fibers (i have heard some rumor that 1 isp had 6monht old fiber somewhere and then ripped it off there. Firtsly they they didn't give better speed to anyone, but only started 1m/0,5M, and when other isp's saw the pricing of the 1/0,5 they dropped their lines althogether. After that the shitty isp raised its prices and then wanted everyone that used its services to start using 3g /mobile broadband, the customers were fucked as there wasn't 3g-station in sight for like 20km. And if the customer compalined the speed, the isp just sayd "then use other isp's service".)

Some study 5years ago listed finland (where i live) 2 of 60 (or something like it), but last year we dropped to 15, as isp's don't implement fivers.

lets see how far the goverments 200 million "100Mbit lines fo 90% of population, by the year 2010/12".

On a Vaio laptop right now. Generally like Sony stuff, very few problems with anything. As far as this laptop, the only problem I have is sucky battery life, though I'm probably to blame with that for speccing this laptop to the second most powerful one they offered at the time (only option I didn't get was blu-ray because it was still up in the air with hd-dvd). I get maybe 2 1/2 hours if I turn the brightness down and wireless off.

You think you're unlucky? My craptop gets 1 hour, max, and that's without any gpu running. And the battery is still f***ing huge. :p

Clarkson mode ON (from the Maserati episode, 6x02):

These are some of the speakers from the company's long and illustrious history. A pair of 6.5" three way "premium" speakers called the XS-R1610.

IMG_3380.JPG

IMG_3381.JPG

Only these are no ordinary XS-R1610 speakers. They're mine. I'd just bought them with my truck, and this is what I think of them.

IMG_3384.JPG

IMG_3385.JPG

Clarkson mode OFF.

:D

You think you're unlucky? My craptop gets 1 hour, max, and that's without any gpu running. And the battery is still f***ing huge. :p

I should have mentioned, that battery life is with the double cell high capacity battery that sticks out the back like a cancerous lump. :lol:

I do like the way it elevates the back of the laptop though, so I can see the keyboard in lower light situations.

*fun with fire*:D

As stated above I have had great luck with Sony, in fact I usually look to buy a sony for everything I buy but I will agree, their car speaker division is just garbage.

There is this "wacky" guy that advertises on TV, "im so crazy look how crazy my prices are" kind of place and I went and bought some $5 no badge speakers and they sound 10x better than the Sony's that came with the car. It currently has a sony 12" sub and the no name $5 speakers have more bass than the sony sub :lol:

It's amazing how bad their car speakers are, really the only time sony's are upgrades are if you have a 2002 or prior hyundai accent.

Oddly I have a "boom box" type thing this one to be exact and it sounds great. It really is shocking how loud and yet clear it is. Shakes the picture off the wall and you can still hear the actual song with the bass. Why they can't put speakers that are 1/10th that in their car department I will never understand.

I actually can't believe this my self, 27 years ago my dad had bought a 14" TV which is currently preserved as an antique, and it's still working perfectly except for the RC!.....But my opinion in Sony is that these days you can hardly find a product that's actually made in Japan, so i start to lose a bit of the trust i had and go buy something else like Samsung for instance!

Eventually all i can say is that Sony isn't as it used to be!

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings, I used to be an utter sony whore but recently their products haven't inspired me much, their laptops are pretty good though, if a bit pricey. I've had mine for nearly three years now and it hasn't skipped a beat. Though, I have formatted like three times.

Sorry to bump this, but I have to reant and change my opinion of Sony:
I have this phone:
http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/corporate/products/phoneportfolio/specification/w595

I love it, it has tons of useful features and it looks much better than my old w810i. Only one issue with it, and it's a biggie- battery life.
It is quoted as having 15 days standby on 3g connectivity. I would not use the phone for calls, (less than 5 mins), sms, etc more ethan once a day, and I would only check its status (and thereofre activate the screen) once an hour. I'm getting 2 days or less out of the battery, and it seems to be getting worse.
The phone and the battery are only 2 months old, it's quite stupid.
My aunt and uncle have this same phone and they have the same problem. It's not a bad signal, we all have great coverage, bluetooth is always off on mine and i have followed every bloody suggestion sony ericcson has (all 3 of them) to no avail.
Even tried the old charging overnight trick (given it's a lithium-polymer battery, it's kinda redundant), no hope.

There has to be a dodgy set of batteries floating around or something- either that or sony can't make them. My old w810i's battery was loose, so every time i put the phone down too firmly on a hard surface or hit it a bit it turned off.

Sorry sony, but if you say 15 days, live up to it. I want a long-lasting 3G phone, so give me one or I'm defecting to an iPhone.

Speaking as a former Verizon Wireless Cellphone Tech (back when we could fix phones not just replace them like they do now) there has never been a phone on the market for any US carrier that lives up to their battery life quote. They come up with the battery life under near perfect situations which you will never ever experience IRL. All that being said 2 days (pretty above avg phone life from my experience) when you "should" be getting 15 seems like a hell of a divation so there could be something fucked up but if you are expecting to ever actually hit 15 days you are going to be dissapointed

I have two Sony TVs in my house.

One is a 18-year-old 32" "tube" TV, and the other is the main one that is used a lot: a 53" Sony Flatscreen TV that's almost 7 years old.

Both of them work perfectly still, so, yes I kinda like Sony. :D