Does anyone know much about Niva's?

You may have wanted to make sure parts were available before you bought the car... glad it (mostly) worked out, though. Despite being relatively close to Canada and having gone there before I have never seen a Lada. Good luck getting it going.

:lol: No kidding eh, oh well. I found a parts dealer, so it all worked out. May have been a bit careless on my part :)

I was looking at that Niva too, but didn't get my truck sold quick enough to buy it. What was the seller like? He seemed like a bit of a goof when I Emailed him.

He was a bit strange. It was the owner of Payless towing that was selling the truck. He helped me out a lot though, he gave me some replacment seats and went out of his way to locate the keys for me.

Thats cool. Not sure if it's the parts place you're dealing with, but we've got the Courtenay car centre here on the island that still specializes in Ladas and seems to have a wealth of parts.

Ya, I've talked to them, and I'm going to order some parts from them when the times comes. I have to take the head off first though.

As far as I know Nivas are pretty reliable and probably offroadier than most offroaders (read: capable). The only thing with russian cars is you have to check each and every bolt and fitting RIGHT after you buy it. I've read about a guy who didnt even make it home from a garage, something or other had happened to either valves or one of the belts, don't quite remember. When you make sure every nut is tightened and it doesnt leak oil by gallons, it should be a tough 4x4.
As with all reasonably priced products tho, I wouldnt be surprised if a minor thing failed one day, like some of the wiring or the heater :p

Head over to the Post Your Car section to see some pics!