Does anyone know much about Niva's?

JipJopJones

Car(s)
1979 Cressida Wagon, 1981 Corolla Hardtop
I'm thinking of buying a Lada Niva as a winter vehicle.

What engines do they have and are parts available in Canada? This one needs a new head gasket, is that easy to find? What should I look for as far as common problems?

Thanks.

well they ain't pretty and they don't really move very fast, but AFAIK they are relatively reliable

from a el camino to a civic to Lada, oh, when will the insanity end!? :|

I'm keeping the civic, I just need the Niva for work, I work up a mountain in the snow. The plow drivers blow and don't really plow much, and I can't afford snow tires, so I'm buying a whole new car. Makes sense eh? :lol:

I didn't know you could get a Lada in North America. I'd seen quite a few in South America though.

The Russians bought (or acquired hmmm) all ours up (in the 1990s) and shipped them home, even though they were RHD - how odd.

They sold them in Canada up untill 1998

All I know about the Niva is that it's one fucking cool vehicle.

Very rare here too, I think I've only seen a few in Vancouver. Are they easy to find?

All I know about the Niva is that it's one fucking cool vehicle.

Very rare here too, I think I've only seen a few in Vancouver. Are they easy to find?
I have never seen a surviving example of any Lada here in the Toronto area. The only Ontario example I think that is surviving is the one in Canada's Worst Drivers 3.

I have never seen a surviving example of any Lada here in the Toronto area. The only Ontario example I think that is surviving is the one in Canada's Worst Drivers 3.

I've seen maybe 3 or 4, might have been the same since they're all white.

They were somewhat common in Iran too, so I've known about Niva's for a long time. :)

Well, I bought the car today. So now I'm on a parts search. I found a Lada store... in germany. Apperantly there are a couple colecters in the Van Area, one in North Van and one in Surrey. I'll have to look into it. I'll make a PYC thread on monday.

Well, I bought the car today. So now I'm on a parts search. I found a Lada store... in germany. Apperantly there are a couple colecters in the Van Area, one in North Van and one in Surrey. I'll have to look into it. I'll make a PYC thread on monday.

That's awesome, post some pictures once you get the chance. Also, you need to try this once:

http://englishrussia.com/?p=1566

:D

Wow, that was quick Justin.

That is one badass car though, been one of my favourites for a long time. Eagerly looking forward to pics!

Very cool car. Just so you know, the Mt. Washington ski hill over on the island used them for the longest time for their crew, so there's probably still a bunch on the island. Not too sure if its still there, but there was a Lada/Volvo/Misc. dealer and service place in Courtenay as well.

Here is what I found for a swap vehicle, mate Link . I saw 2 Nivas, here in Calgary. I am not sure about the parts though. The car is tough as hell. Not a luxury one in terms of interior and suspension though. Rough on the bumps.:lol: My father used to have one back in Ukraine.

I used to work at an ex Lada dealership... Nivas are soo cherished. :(

Very cool car. Just so you know, the Mt. Washington ski hill over on the island used them for the longest time for their crew, so there's probably still a bunch on the island. Not too sure if its still there, but there was a Lada/Volvo/Misc. dealer and service place in Courtenay as well.

I tracked them down, and apperently they still carry a bunch of new/used lada parts. I'll be ordering my stuff through them once I get it. I'll try to snap some pics tomorrow, although I've run into some issues with the school. Apperently because I'm not a student there I'm not allowed to use the shop (according to the department head) although my auto teacher said I could still come in, it'd just have to be after hours. :mad: I'm really disapointed too, this put me behind schedule. I was going to have the head off and ready to be machined today. But I was rudley (very rudley actually) inturupted and kicked out by said department jerkwad. So I'll have to see what comes of this.