Does anyone still have 56k on here? [Speed Test Thread]

h-p

Car(s)
Mazda 3
I can, actually. But yeah, cable plans are ridiculous, this is 100/2 on paper.

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
4x4 diesel barge
Wow. I thought the 100/5 I had was ridiculous.

Cellos88GT

DONOR
Car(s)
2 Fox Mustangs and a '00 VFR

good god... I'm going to be subjected to this for 3 months. I didn't even know internet this slow still existed in urban environments.

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
4x4 diesel barge
I got this over LTE a couple of weeks ago:

Mitchi

Sierras für alle!
DONOR

This would be good. In the 60s.

And no, I can't do anything about it.. old telephone lines...

Mitchi

Sierras für alle!
DONOR
I wish I could ... Where I live, it's nearly impossible to find an affordable flat for a single person, even shared flats would be right on my limit.

rickhamilton620

has a fetish for terrible cars
Car(s)
2012 Kia Forte EX

good god... I'm going to be subjected to this for 3 months. I didn't even know internet this slow still existed in urban environments.
Do you know what tier you're subscribed to?

What speed do you get when you run a test from the CenturyLink support site?

http://speedtest.centurylink.net/

Do this test hardwired to your modem/wireless gateway.

Yes...I used to work in CL tech support...

Last edited:

Nabster

Has Slutty Mustangs
DONOR
Car(s)
1969 Mustang Coupe, 2019 Mustang GT, 2011 F150
Upload seems sorta low in comparison, but I guess I can live with this as a free upgrade over the old 100/5. :lol:

Mitchi

Sierras für alle!
DONOR
I was lucky enough that my Internet was stable enough to not crash and let me do the test.
What makes it really hardcore, especially for gaming, are the ping spikes, anything from 100-800 is possible. I feel like crying right now, you can't do anything

Last edited:

rickhamilton620

Car(s)
2012 Kia Forte EX
I was lucky enough that my Internet was stable enough to not crash and let me do the test.
What makes it really hardcore, especially for gaming, are the ping spikes, anything from 100-800 is possible. I feel like crying right now, you can't do anything

What kind of service is this, DSL?

IceBone

Blue Wheel Hipster
DONOR
Car(s)
Audi A5 Quattro
Tried testing the beach internet I have here. It returned 350ms ping and it managed to get through half of the download test at 3.5 mbps, before timing out (which is quite indicative of the connection).

rickhamilton620

Car(s)
2012 Kia Forte EX
Yes. Through a 60 year old telephone line.

:(
Darn. I was gonna say, you could try connecting the modem directly to the demarcation point and seeing if the speeds improve from there...if not, it means that the issue is outside your house and, at least here, the ISP/utility is required to fix at their expense.

Do O2 offer something like "Inside Wire Maintenance"? Where I worked, you could add IWM during your tech support call and the field tech would then take care of getting your inside wire working properly for your internet service. You could then just call back after the field visit and take it off so you're only charged once.

It may be something to look into.

Tried testing the beach internet I have here. It returned 350ms ping and it managed to get through half of the download test at 3.5 mbps, before timing out (which is quite indicative of the connection).
:(

Mitchi

Sierras für alle!
DONOR
Darn. I was gonna say, you could try connecting the modem directly to the demarcation point and seeing if the speeds improve from there...if not, it means that the issue is outside your house and, at least here, the ISP/utility is required to fix at their expense.

Do O2 offer something like "Inside Wire Maintenance"? Where I worked, you could add IWM during your tech support call and the field tech would then take care of getting your inside wire working properly for your internet service. You could then just call back after the field visit and take it off so you're only charged once.

It may be something to look into.
Yes, it's the ISP's fault - the lines shoddy and are way over their capacity, a good mixture. Thing is, since two weeks now the telephone is dead, well, not the phone itself but the line as it seems. Phone itself seems to work, also tried it with a different one.

I'll probably call them although I know I'll spend at least 20 minutes in a queue paying half a Euro per minute. :| my mobile phone bill is gonna love me

rickhamilton620

Car(s)
2012 Kia Forte EX
Yes, it's the ISP's fault - the lines shoddy and are way over their capacity, a good mixture. Thing is, since two weeks now the telephone is dead, well, not the phone itself but the line as it seems. Phone itself seems to work, also tried it with a different one.

I'll probably call them although I know I'll spend at least 20 minutes in a queue paying half a Euro per minute. :| my mobile phone bill is gonna love me
You still have a plan....with minutes o_O.

But yeah, bad lines and overcapacity will do it for sure. Explaining the latter to someone, esp. with no end date available was always fun

Last edited: