Does anyone still have 56k on here? [Speed Test Thread]

Sir Stiggington

Car(s)
McLaren Mercedes MP4/23 :P
After seeing some more "No 56k" tags I was wondering if anone still has it. For me, it's been since 2003. Which is acutally quite recent. It seems like it's completely gone around here, the last time I saw it was in Egypt, when we had it in 2003. What about you guys? Does anyone still have it? Care to remind us of the torture?

I'm on "broadband", but it's actually 25kbps max download, which I think is about the slowest out of anybody I know. At the moment we are over our monthly download limit (*cough* my fault), which has put is back to dialup quivalent speeds- 7kbps max. It's not horrendous for very light web browsing, but once you open up more than 3 pages, prepare to wait a minute for fully loaded pages. More than 10 (which i can do fairly easy o our regular connection speeds with nobody else online) is just not possible. No more than one person using the internet either- it just dies if more than 2 devices access it. And I am estimating 3 days (so about 45 hours of downlaoding, it has to go off for other family member's needs) of donloading to get my 1.15 GB copy of Doctor Who this week. Yay. Not.

But I daresay some people would still have dialup (some of my friedns had it up until a year ago!), so they are prbably much worse off than me :lol:

It really depends on where I'm at, at home my internet is fast enough, but with some clients I end up sharing a 1Mb connection with 50 others. Comes painfully close to 56k or even less.

We last had dial-up around 1998 or 1999; cable or ADSL ever since.

I used a 56k line when I first connected to the Internet at home way back about 5 years ago; because I hadn't had Internet before, I thought it was pretty quick at the time (lol). Moved house a few months later, had Internet installed there about 3 months afterwards, and it was running at about 128kbps at first. Four years and two provider take-overs later, I'm chugging along at 25 Mbps regularly. :lol:

I have DSL with a 10mbps speed, probably not the greatest but good enough. The shitty part is my computer is so old and fucked up that even with this connection I can't even watch videos, it's so choppy it ends up being a slideshow. my only way yo watch videos is to download them and watch them in windows media player or something.

I don't have it, something close to 1Mbit I believe but it's nice to have the No 56k tags when I'm acquiring lots of files such as F1 and Doctor Who, which is when pages slow down a lot!

Here's what I'm dealing with, and this is during a low-traffic period (3am Sunday morning):

And my ISP has the audacity to call themselves Mediatti Broadband. :glare:

Haven't had 56k since 8th grade, or around 2001.

A slow guy on the slow lane...This test is at 12.15AM!

808261174.png

Kajun stop complaining.....my download speed is less than your upload...:glare:

Dial... up...? What is Dial Up?

808271227.png

*whistles*

Last edited:
At my work.

Without torrents

With torrents

I screwed up my original post with regards to speed.

How are your speeds faster *with* torrents running?

My first internet was 14k, 11 years ago, now I'm on 25M cable :)

8 Mb/s cable here, was originally 5 then my ISP upped all connections a bit. Before that, 56k until ~2002 (we've had internet for as long as I can remember, probably started in the early 90s with AOL).

I get better speeds than some of the "broadband" people here by tethering my cell phone :? No hard download limits either, though I'm sure they'll complain at me if I go really crazy.

Internet in some areas is just a complete ripoff, it seems.

Holy shit all these super high speedtest results! You guys must have giant penises and get laid by supermodels!