Does anyone still have 56k on here? [Speed Test Thread]

4198523444.png

What the actual fuck. The speeds you see before your post cost $14 a month here.

Damn! I pay about 15USD/month for this:

Internet varies wildly here. Remember, the US is bigger than all of Europe.

Even across town my option option would be shitty Comcast. I moved to this suburb just to get fiber.

In Austin, Texas and other Google Fiber cities, you can get gigabit down, gigabit up for $70/mo.

That's not bad, if you compare the average income of a Romanian with that of an American. Plenty of families around here that can't afford those 15USD/month .

Hardwired in this time...

4275299716.png

My ISP decided to give all its users free upgrades. My 100/5 got bumped to 250/20. I can't say I mind. :)

My ISP decided to give all its users free upgrades. My 100/5 got bumped to 250/20. I can't say I mind. :)

Yeah yeah, rub in your insane speeds. :p

Hell, i'm shocked they're only rated 3 stars...speeds like that would make users give em 5 here

I got an update like that too, but it only started free. They waited a few months and then upped the price and don't offer the speeds I was at before. :mad:

Yeah yeah, rub in your insane speeds. :p

Hell, i'm shocked they're only rated 3 stars...speeds like that would make users give em 5 here

Not everyone can get their FTTH or cable though. Many of their customers are out in the boonies and stuck on ADSL. Sometimes in the single digits. They're also the only choice a lot of the time. Guess that's what their low rating comes from.

Don't get me wrong, they're not evil (IMO). Anyone is free to lease their copper and offer competing DSL service, but the competitors typically bother with the profitable (read: densely populated) areas. Anvia offers DSL service in really remote areas where (I'm guessing) there's no way in hell to make an actual profit.

They are giving the law mandatory minimum of net speed which they doubled recently ( from 1 Mbit to 2mbit).
I still hear these 70?/month for 1mbit lines, so its good to have these smaller isp's providing in areas where bigger ones aren't even bothering (or dismantling the copper lines to sell the copper and giving mobile for your internet needs).

The aging copper is a huge problem and providers are obviously not interested in replacing it with fiber for just a few measly consumers. It's easier to just put up a 4G tower and claim it's a decent alternative.

It was different back in the day when the landline network was built out and wireless alternatives didn't exist.

The city is locked to one ISP, so over the past 18 months or so a couple of 'broadband' providers have come-up. Because they can't use the phone lines they use rooftop aerials. From what I can gather they're basically a dongle for your house.

Each company states that you'll get a billion Mbps and most importantly 'not affected by weather' Really? <_<

My friend kept telling me that her mum and dad were thinking about getting it... I said don't bother.

Today they got it installed and it's a 17mbps plan... Nope, they're getting 1.16 mbps and here's the kicker 900ms ping. :S

My 4g and even 3g connection is better. Wired is betterer always.

At my campsite:

1281829674.png

Not bad for normal browsing, but let's just say I won't be doing any torrenting.

4359443873.png

a bit slower upload than usual, but might be because there's about 10 devices sharing the bandwith, and i did the test while streaming full HD video. :p

Edit:
Just tried it on my phone.
1281896759.png

Last edited:
mZf4vzM.jpg

4384822573.png

Same old internet, new price. 19,90?/mo. :) The balance between dl/ul :lol:

Seriously, 100 down and half a meg up? Can you even download at full throttle without saturating the upstream?