Does anyone still have 56k on here? [Speed Test Thread]

20/1 ratio? dafuq?

Pretty common for ADSL2+/cable.. sadly a lot of ISPs have maintained that stupid ratio even while ever more people need faster upload for backup and streaming for example.

EDIT: for reference, PON/GPON/10GPON (the most common FTTH/FTTB tech) is a 10:4 ratio, DOCSIS 3 (current cable) is 4:3 (5:3 for EuroDOCSIS 3) per channel, multiple channels aggregateable, and VDSL from 55:3 in the original spec to symmetric (1:1) for VDSL2.

Who needs upload anyway. I'm not seeding anything to the internetz, and i'm not uploading any content to the youtubes.

Download is where it matters boy.

Upload matters a lot as well due to how the internet is essentially all TCP, which needs to acknowledge every packet sent and received. For example: when I pull down stuff from my server at around 15Mbit/s, I generate about 0.3Mbit/s (about 50:1 ratio) purely out of the ACKs, then pile on my general baseline of 0.1Mbit/s in keeping track of my dropbox-like sync setup and other background services and suddenly I start seeing packet loss from an overloaded 20/1 connection :(

Also, for my sort of backup needs, I'd need around 20Mbit/s upload to properly backup everything.. for now, only 37GB is properly backed up, via my general filesync setup.

There are content creators in Belgium though.

And it has always been like this: high download, low upload. We just don't whine about it.

You should be whining about it, loudly.

So we got a new connection at the office: 1 Gbit/s and below 2 ms ping... fkcing sweet.

I hate you.

Last edited:
Upload matters a lot as well due to how the internet is essentially all TCP, which needs to acknowledge every packet sent and received. For example: when I pull down stuff from my server at around 15Mbit/s, I generate about 0.3Mbit/s (about 50:1 ratio) purely out of the ACKs, then pile on my general baseline of 0.1Mbit/s in keeping track of my dropbox-like sync setup and other background services and suddenly I start seeing packet loss from an overloaded 20/1 connection :(

And now in english?

You should be whining about it, loudly.

No i won't

And now in english?

If you put your upload low enough, your download speed suffers because you can't confirm receiving the data

No i won't

Try uploading 20GB of work data and tell me how you like it then. Or try streaming movies or games from your home computer when you're on the go.

If you put your upload low enough, your download speed suffers because you can't confirm receiving the data

Try uploading 20GB of work data and tell me how you like it then. Or try streaming movies or games from your home computer when you're on the go.

How's that for a ratio

Really doesn't phase me, as I don't do anything upload intensive and you can use all the bandwidth even with overheads no problem.

If I need to do something for work that needs a faster upload I just use LTE

How's that for a ratio

Really doesn't phase me, as I don't do anything upload intensive and you can use all the bandwidth even with overheads no problem.

If I need to do something for work that needs a faster upload I just use LTE

Yeah.. I'm in camp of wanting a shitton more bandwidth, to do such strange things like remote gaming and remote storage. Being able to do a proper, Being able to fully backup of all my crap to a real server would also be nice.. but uploading nearly 13.5TiB of data on 1mbit? Yeahhh...

Yesterday I was paying $120/mo for 100/15.

Today I'm paying $80/mo for 100/100. :D

4887918125.png

Last edited:
Porque?

Por que

OVeUmN5.png

Nice to see we're no.1 at something not to be ashamed of, probably also the cheapest (1Gbit connection is about 15Eur/month)

Nice to see that I'm not even reaching a tenth of the average of my country.

My ?0.02:

- There has to be quite a lot of 100+ Mbit/s connections in Finland because many rural areas are stuck on ADSL.
- How can Italian internet be that bad? Someone should be fired for this.

Upgraded to Virgin Media's 150 service today with a new superhub. It's a modem-router currently just acting as a modem but my TP-Link TP-WRD4300 seems to be dying (WiFi sometimes goes off despite it thinking that it's on and multiple restarts are needed to make it work again) so it might take over, it's also wireless AC where the TP-Link is just N750.

Anyway, the PC downstairs that is connected directly to the router:

5042921257.png

My machine upstairs, connected by a pair of '200Mbps' homeplugs.

5042759026.png

Excellent downstairs, not too shabby upstairs but a cable will be run down in the not too distant future.