Does anyone still have 56k on here? [Speed Test Thread]

Why do attachments never work? And why do people keep trying to use them?

Since a month or so I have this ...

... this is 1000% of what I had before. Yes, an increase of a thousand percent. And I will get another upgrade to 400 mbit/s next month. Cannot wait! All those sweet 4k YouTube videos with their high bitrate. I went from the website saying it's slower than 99% of Germany to being faster than 99% of Germany. What a nice feeling being in the 21st century after all!

(would've loved to use speedtest.net, but that didn't wanna work)

...and your upload is still less than mine - I have 100/20. ;)

Yeah, I wish I could get wilhelm.tel :(

It's amazing that we now have internet connections with sub 1 ms latency (depending on the server you talk to). Back when I got into this whole internet thing we had dial-up (and not even 56K). When we played CS (the original CS at that) we usually had pings of over 100 ms and it was totally fine. A friend got ISDN and used "channel bonding"* to get his bandwidth into triple digits (still measuring in kbit/s, not Mbit/s). And now we scaled that up by a factor of ~1000, in just 10-20 years. Currently I'm sitting at 60 Mbit/s, but if I wanted to, I could have 1 Gbit/s from Swisscom. However, that would be 3-4 times more expensive than my current connection, and also I don't need that kind of speed. But it's nice to know that I have the option to upgrade (massively) if I ever feel like it.

*according to Wikipedia that's the proper translation, but somehow it seems really weird.

New connection via Wi-Fi at my new apartment (rated 100/6):

I could have gotten 200 or 400 Mbit/s, but I don't see the point. 100 is ample.

Upgraded my internet (funnily enough it's $40 cheaper than my old one)
5700370736.png

Since I learned recently we are in one of the first six areas of the country where FTTP is being rolled out I had a chat with SKY, our TV/phone/internet provider a couple of weeks ago. I was actually able to save us ?18 a month and get upgraded to fibre broadband. We could have paid a bit more and got over double the speed below but since HWF3.0's daughter just went off to Uni and is the main internet user there seemed little point. Just gone from an average of 10MB/s down and 0.75 up to this. It's more than quick enough for our needs, and the huge jump in upload speeds will make a massive difference to her eBay sideline in terms of the length of time it takes to create new listings.

When I moved to the east coast I decided to look for a place that had fiber internet. Verizon FiOS was thankfully available. Coming from 8-16 Mbps (down, up was 1 Mbps) in San Diego I wanted something decently fast and relatively cheap. So I went for 75/75 (Down/Up). It worked well! I was paying about $60/month for it and it was decent. Since parents had moved in temporarily, I got TV for them since Dad loves TV and honestly thats all he has now in his life. The monthly went up and up. It was now at around $160-$180 after tax. I was getting a little upset since I went to India and saw people having 150 Mbps for the equivalent of $20/month. My parents moved back there and so I tried to set them up with that fast internet speed before I left back for the east coast.

So I was like ok I'm going to call Verizon and complain and get either my charges lowered or my speed increased. Without even having to call them they offered it to me. For the same price that I was paying for 75/75 + TV I now get this

and the same TV

Reactions: LP
FTTH is nice to have. This result is as-is, I'm torrenting at ~20MB/s down while running this. Line is gig down 250 up.

hmm... the line I got at home now.

6773687954.png

Since Spectrum took over Time Warner I went from 50/1 to 100/10 which is nice, but the more frequent outages and horribly compressed HD signal are making up for the lack of suck.

6806132237.png

Just tried a SpeedTest on my phone on LTE in the middle of the night. Holly crap :shock:

1Vmrk6i.png

Amazing what difference a new router makes. Having changed nothing else about my internet, these are my new results.

m5V5aBt.png

Not bad considering I pay for 75 down. I wish I had a screenshot of my speed test with my old router, but it would struggle to get 1.5 down. Maybe 2 on a good day, but the majority of the time it would be sitting at <1.