Doom 3 Blows...I uninstalled it already...

Raider

It's way too dark, gets repetitive and seems to have no depth.
The path seems to be simple, just one route with a few alternatives but because the game is so dark, you feel like you're walking in circles...I've used the flashlight more than any weapon...

It does feel like doom but only with enhanced graphic detail and maybe good sound effects. They were shooting for cinematic horror and to be honest, it only scared me at the beginning, once you start to get into the game, you expect too start looking in the shadows and shooting...

Hell, it's Doom, what can you do. They have perfectly redesigned the game but c'mon, it's 2004. How 'bout some outdoor areas, physics or destructable objects? IMO they tried to hard to make the game pretty. Should have focused more on gameplay elements. Did I mention that every room/area in the game is square? no diagnals to be found...

What I'm interested in seeing is how these lightning effects prove themself in LIGHTED outdoor areas. I'm sure the engine has HUGE potential and I'm looking forward to more games using the same engine. Oh yea, mods for D3 would be cool too but I hope they move away from this dark-ish crap. It ruined it for me.

If you want the same old walk around and shoot stuff repeatively in dark areas....then this is the game for you...only good thing about this game is the audio and the graphics...but to appreciate the graphics you need to speed $400 on a graphics card for it too look pretty and run smoothly...i don't think so...

it's uninstalled already...

Leak on SuprNova or something? [edit] "Aquiring" now.... [/edit]

And I just cancelled my order of it off Amazon 'cause of your post. We'll see how it is before I buy it. Still keeping my 18-month old order on HL2 though. :D

Viper007Bond said:
Leak on SuprNova or something? [edit] "Aquiring" now.... [/edit]

And I just cancelled my order of it off Amazon 'cause of your post. We'll see how it is before I buy it. Still keeping my 18-month old order on HL2 though. :D

I would wait for the demo, that's what I am doing :D

Pfft, gotta use my new Internet for something. Plus, my new computer arrives Wednesday or so and I gotta do something with it. :p

based on what i'm reading on other message boards...it's not just me either that's not too pleased with this game...

it's one of those you'll love it because it's doom, or you're hate it because you realize all it is is a tech demo for id's new engine (which does look pretty...when you can actually see it because you're in the dark 90% of the time).

good things: graphics (if you can see), and audio (which is awesome)
bad things: dark, repetitive game play, i think there is a story (?), dark, repetitive game play, dark.

Damn!
I hope that it isn't all inside levels because the engine can't handle outdoor scenes (like FarCry can), because that would limit the type of game that you can base on that engine.

I'll tell ya what I think of it in about 4 hours. ;)

I've just plyed it too, excellent graphics, but the darkness can get annoying sometimes.

The atmosphere is real spooky.

And, ps, its all over suprnova, i got the first link.

Yeah, I played the leaked alpha over a year ago and that scared the shit outta me at points. :lol: Was soooo bad FPS wise though as it was an alpha.

ESPNSTI said:
Damn!
I hope that it isn't all inside levels because the engine can't handle outdoor scenes (like FarCry can), because that would limit the type of game that you can base on that engine.

the only outdoor level/area that I saw after playing it for like 4-5 hours, was crossing a bridge for like 30 seconds...and it wasn't that great...you need like a special suit or something to be outdoors for a long period of time, the suit that you start the game off with allows you like 60 seconds then you're out of air...

The shit thing is that sometimes the levels are so dark that you have to use your flashlight, but when a monster jumps out, u have to quickly switch to a gun, but without your flashlight u don't see anything, so your like shooting all over the place and takeing damage because u have nfi where the monster is :twisted: .

Kip_6666 said:
The shit thing is that sometimes the levels are so dark that you have to use your flashlight, but when a monster jumps out, u have to quickly switch to a gun, but without your flashlight u don't see anything, so your like shooting all over the place and takeing damage because u have nfi where the monster is :twisted: .

and when there are 2 things coming at you in the dark and you're getting hit so your screen turns red and you become all disoriented...that's awesome... :twisted: :twisted:

i wish you could use the flashlight and the weapons at the same time...that would help alot...but it's uninstalled so oh well...

Wow, this was supposed to be a highly anticipated game and it sounds like crap, come on Doom 3! what have they done.

Well, I like it so far. It's definetly one path'ed and predicatable, but it's still fun. I'll probably buy it 'cause I'm enjoying playing it and I like the graphics.

But without a doubt, no one will play D3 once HL2 comes out except those that can't run HL2. :lol:

Raider007 said:
Kip_6666 said:

and when there are 2 things coming at you in the dark and you're getting hit so your screen turns red and you become all disoriented...that's awesome... :twisted: :twisted:

i wish you could use the flashlight and the weapons at the same time...that would help alot...but it's uninstalled so oh well...
I like the FAQ that covers that for the #doom3 channel on GameSurge which states something like this:

"You're not on the LAPD SWAT team, so no. Just switch to you damn gun and use it."

Found it kinda funny. Anyway, yeah, but the trick is to just bludgeon the enemy to death WITH the flashlight! :p

I got Doom 3 yesterday and played it for 5-6 hours or so, and I quite like it.

To me it seems to have the simple gameplay and boatloads of atmosphere like classic Doom.
A good sound system and switching the lights off is a must though.

I especially liked the bit where you look into the mirror in the bathroom when you get back to Mars City after you have found the missing guy.

I do agree that more outdoor areas would have been nice.

I played Doom 3 the other day and was extremely impressed. The graphics are pertty incredible, and what they've done in terms of lighting effects is amazing. The gameplay was pretty good, but I got a bit tired of switching back and forth from flashlight to gun. I think it was someone on Penny-Arcade who said the game was basically a revolutionary flashlight simulator - seems pretty accurate to me. :p

It does seem like it would be a lot of fun, but I'm not willing to shell out the ammount of money it would take in upgrades to have my computer do the game justice. I'll just wait for Quake4. :D

PA talked about it some today plus a comic:

20040811l.jpg

Tycho also linked to this great review (scroll down a bit):

http://www.machall.com/index.php?strip_id=290