Dreaded cyclists

:unsure: Good lord, now you're just baiting desperately. Sorry, I'm not falling for that...

No, actually, I'm not. These are just a couple examples from my own personal helmet cameras.

As I put it in my comment to the second video, "At first I thought I'd found the first totally law-abiding pedalbikist in Dallas. But then... well, watch the video." I have never come to an intersection and seen an adult bicyclist obeying the intersection controls in the last decade. That last video was shot in downtown Dallas at a major surface street intersection (albeit late-ish at night) and you can see that there is traffic... yet, characteristically the bicyclist decides his primacy is enough to protect him from cross traffic and he blows the red light. This is so common that I stopped posting cyclist stupidity to YouTube back in 2012-2013.

I can pull any amount of helmet cam and dash cam footage you would like and you can peruse it for adult bicyclists. You won't find them obeying such basic things as traffic lights or stop signs. You will be hard pressed to find car drivers doing the same thing.

Last edited:
Well, exactly the same goes for car drivers and pedestrians - Most people just concentrate harder to find idiots in/on other means of transport to get their bias confirmed so people behaving normally/not stupid get blended out. In addition to that, many cyclists know the rules of the road better than car drivers since they just have those rules to protect them, not a metal box with ABS, ESP, airbags and whatnot.
I've had so many people in cars telling me to cycle on sidewalks where cycling is not even permitted, let alone mandatory it's not funny anymore...

One example: how many people in cars are using mobile phones but don't get caught/prosecuted? That's as bad as those people on bicycles, if not worse since they pose a serious threat to pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists, but most car drivers don't care about that since they do it themselves.
Another example is speeding: for most people it's normal to do 60-65 kph in cities even though the energy adds up exponentially, thus posing a much bigger threat than at the speed limit of 50 kph. That's the same thing as that guy pulling out without looking at all - 95% of the time it might work, the other 5% of the time other people have to compensate for that.
The next example is cars parking on sidewalks, bicycle tracks, crosswalks or at corners - many people who park like that are overly aggressive when you point out that people in wheelchairs or with baby strollers (on the sidewalks) or people on cargo bikes (on bicycle tracks) just aren't able to pass there safely anymore. They only care about walking as little as possible to their destination, even if it means obstructing and endangering countless other people.

I'm just as annoyed by those people on bicycles since they give the whole group of cyclists a bad name. That way people like me who do stick to the law are treated exactly like those who break the law.

TL;DR: assholes are assholes, it doesn't matter which means of transport they use. If you concentrate on picking out the assholes in a specific group you'll just get your bias confirmed.
Things I see cyclists do constantly and drivers rarely:
  • Ignore lights/stop signs
  • Fail to signal maneuvers
  • Go wrong way on streets
  • Ride on cross walks just to beat a light (they are supposed to get off the bike)

In addition here is safety equipment that all
motorcycles have to be sold with and none of the bicycles:
  • Tail and headlights
  • Turn signals
  • Rear view mirrors
  • Helmets are optional in my state for cycles but mandatory for motorbikes

I am aware of people ignoring lights and stop signs, fail to signal maneuvers, once again I despise people for that, but that's neither limited to cyclists nor a bigger danger than RLJ car drivers, car drivers on the phone or car drivers on the friggin' sidewalk. Search youtube for "Stop a douchebag" to see many examples from predominantly Russia.

(the cyclist stated that the truck driver didn't even look once in the cyclist's direction)

These tweets are just from Hamburg from the last three days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDXduEZ_QsE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHkKPipp1ac

I could show just as many cyclists RLJing, salmoning and whatnot, but with this post I just want to show that your statements of "car drivers rarely do anything wrong" is false, nothing more nothing less.

I could show just as many cyclists RLJing, salmoning and whatnot, but with this post I just want to show that your statements of "car drivers rarely do anything wrong" is false, nothing more nothing less.

Mmm-hmm. But I am commenting on events in my country. Again, the US and Europe are different driving/riding environments with different rules. Over here, it's rare enough to find car drivers running red lights that (to cite one example) many cities (including Dallas) turned off their red light cameras at some point as they cost too much to run and weren't catching any cars running lights. (Of course, a lot of cities then decided to shorten the yellow beyond legal minimum and turned the cameras back on just to generate revenue, leading to this year's outright ban of red light cameras in the state of Texas.)

Other people in this thread have been telling you that in the US, we're seeing most cyclists being entitled asshats and most car drivers at least obeying traffic lights, stop signs, etc. - not just prizrak and myself, either. Just to remind you, US bicyclists' behavior is not and cannot be linked to their car driving license in any way and no education is required before they are allowed on the roads. I'm perfectly willing to accept that conditions are different in Europe, why aren't you willing to accept that things are different in the US?

It's good to know how easy @Spectre and @prizrak are triggered into a rant.
Want me to stop ranting about children's toys in traffic? Elevate those toys to the level of actual vehicles by requiring same safety equipment along with education, registration, insurance and licensure.

So, we're ranting and Eye-Q somehow isn't? :unsure:
Of course we are, because we are daring to call out a group for shitty behavior.
I am aware of people ignoring lights and stop signs, fail to signal maneuvers, once again I despise people for that, but that's neither limited to cyclists nor a bigger danger than RLJ car drivers, car drivers on the phone or car drivers on the friggin' sidewalk. Search youtube for "Stop a douchebag" to see many examples from predominantly Russia.
@Spectre and myself aren't talking about Russia, Germany or Tanzania we are talking about shit we see in our daily lives in the US. We are all aware of drivers being dicks, there is even the stereotype of BMW drivers not using turn signals. What we keep trying to tell you is that there is a difference in volume. I see more cars on the daily basis than I do cyclists and yet I see certain specific behavior mostly from cyclists.

There are other behaviors I see mostly from cars as well but they are typically something a cyclists couldn't do in the first place, left lane hogs are a perfect example.

You also need to keep in mind that there are very little repercussions for cyclists breaking the law, there is no insurance that could go up, there is no driver's license that could get points or be taken away. The most you will get is a fine and even then as you are not required to carry or present ID when stopped by the police you can simply tell them your name is "John Smith" and fuck off (I actually know people who successfully done that).

red light cameras
And that's another thing, car drivers can and do get caught with red light or speed cameras and depending on municipality either have to pay a fine or can actually get demerit points on their license. There is no such mechanism for cyclists as they are not registered and don't display any kind of license plate.

Like it or not, a bicycle is a proper piece of transportation of you can used it.

:roll:

So, we're ranting and Eye-Q somehow isn't? :unsure:
Yes. Someone posts a story of a single incident and, like clockwork, you react by posting that this is typical behaviour of <member of group that is at odds with your personal opinion> and, after being challenged just a little, go further by wall-of-texting everything to death with irrelevant things. Using insulting language against the opposing group to underline that your opinion is the holy grail of truth and everyone who disagrees is a total moron, of course.
Similar with @prizrak, only he is usually even more rude and doesn't bother so much to pretend having of actual argument.

It's so fucking tiring that you two (among, erm, one other) poison the discussion forum culture so much it's practically dead. In case you didn't notice, the lack of opposition you get is not because people agree with you. We're just tired to talk against a wall.

No, don't bother to answer, especially not by posting something to the effect that you must be right because no one replies to you proving your arguments wrong.

Aww someone got their little panties in a twist because they can't handle someone disagreeing with their opinion. I sure hope the heatwave is over in Germany so our little snowflake doesn't get melted.

It is in the name, sidewalks are for walking.

It is in the name, sidewalks are for walking.

On a whim, I went to go look up Texas bicycle regulations and found a few interesting things. Direct from the Texas Department of Transportation: https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/modes-of-travel/bicycle/know/laws.html (I also copied a few other points from their FAQ because apparently some people in this thread don't get that laws and behaviors aren't the same around the world.)

What traffic laws apply to cyclists? What traffic laws do not?

Generally, bikes are entitled to all rights and obligated to all duties of the road that apply to a motor vehicle. Tex. Transp. Code § 551.101, see also Tex. Transp. Code, Title 7, Subtitle C. Rules of the Road, Chapters 541 - 600.
Unless a specific statutory right or duty is altered by Tex. Transp. Code Chapter 551, or a right or duty applicable to a driver cannot by its nature apply to a person operating a bicycle the same laws that apply to an operator of a motor vehicle apply to a person operating a bicycle.
A person operating a bicycle, if moving slower than traffic, shall ride as near as practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway. Tex. Transp. Code § 551.103.
By definition, roadway does not include the shoulder of the roadway. Tex. Transp. Code § 541.302.
See also generally, Tex. Transp. Code, Chapter 551.
A person operating a bicycle shall ride only on or astride a permanent and regular seat attached to the bicycle.
A person may not use a bicycle to carry more persons than the bicycle is designed or equipped to carry.
A person operating a bicycle, coaster, sled or toy vehicle or using roller skates may not attach either the person or the bicycle, coaster, sled toy vehicle, or roller skates to a streetcar or vehicle on a roadway.
A person operating a bicycle may not carry any object that prevents the operator from keeping a least one hand on the handlebars.
Bicyclists must use hand signals to signal their intent to stop, turn left, or turn right. The bicyclist must use the following signals:
  • Stop – Extend your left hand and turn your forearm downward at a 90-degree angle.
  • Left Turn – Extend your left hand and arm horizontally
  • Right Turn – Extend your left arm to the left and turn your forearm up at a 90-degree angle, or extend the right hand and arm horizontally.
Every bike must be equipped with a brake capable of making a braked wheel skid on dry, level, clean pavement.
A person may not operate a bicycle at nighttime unless the bicycle is equipped with the following:
  • Headlamp – a lamp on the front of the bicycle that emits a white light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet in front of the bicycle.
  • Red Reflector/Red Lamp – A bicycle must be equipped with either a red reflector visible from a distance of 300 feet from the rear of the bicycle, or a red lamp visible from a distance of 500 feet from the rear of the bicycle.

Is there a state law prohibiting riding a bike on sidewalks?

No, however some local governments may have local ordinances prohibiting bicycles on sidewalks. Bicyclists should contact local law enforcement for more information and be aware of posted signs.
Also, a person may stop, stand or park a bicycle on a sidewalk if the bicycle does not impede the normal and reasonable movement of pedestrian or other traffic on the sidewalk. Tex. Transp. Code § 545.302.

Are pedestrians allowed to walk on the roadway? In a bike lane?

A pedestrian may not walk along or on a roadway if an adjacent sidewalk is provided and is accessible.
If a sidewalk is not provided, a pedestrian walking along and on a highway shall if possible walk on: (1) the left side of the roadway; or (2) the shoulder of the highway facing oncoming traffic. Tex. Transp. Code § 552.006.

When is it allowable for a cyclist to "take the lane," and when is it not?
A person operating a bicycle on a roadway who is moving slower than the other traffic on the roadway shall ride as near as practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway. Under the following conditions bicyclists may take the full lane of travel:
  • The person is passing another vehicle moving in the same direction
  • The person is preparing to turn left at an intersection or onto a private road or driveway
  • When there are unsafe conditions on the roadway, including fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, pedestrians, animals or surface hazards that prevents the person from safely riding next to the curb or edge of the roadway
  • The lane is of substandard width (less than 14 feet wide and not having a designated bicycle lane adjacent to that lane) making if unsafe for a bicycle and a motor vehicle to safely travel side by side
Tex. Transp. Code § 551.103.
Note: When on a one-way street, a bicyclist can ride to the far left instead of the far right.
Additionally, persons operating bicycles on a roadway may ride two abreast. Persons riding two abreast on a laned roadway shall ride in a single lane. Persons riding two abreast may not impede the normal and reasonable flow of traffic on the roadway. Also note, bicyclists can't make passage of traffic "unreasonably inconvenient". Tex. Penal Code § 42.03.

So, bicyclists here may not obstruct traffic, must generally stay out of the way of other vehicular traffic, can ride on sidewalks if the municipality doesn't otherwise prohibit it, must signal their turns or stops and must have a headlight at night. Pedestrians may not walk in the roadway if there is an accessible sidewalk (though elsewhere there are obviously exceptions for crossing the street, entering/exiting your parked vehicle, etc.)

I just wish bicyclists used sidewalks instead of being in the road - I don't like doing 10mph behind a man in spandex.

Apparently they can do that quite legally here, per the above. I will admit that I had thought that there was a state law prohibiting it, but evidently not.

Last edited:
I bet most local jurisdictions have laws against it though.