Dreaded cyclists

you all seem to think bicycles are a problem?
i think they're the solution!
everytime you see someone on a bicycle, it's one less loser in a car!
and the less losers in cars, the more fluid the traffic will be!

same with old people on bicycles...i stop, i give way, i even wave if they want!
if they're getting afraid, or don't feel safe on their bicycle, they'll get back into their car, and we all want to prevent that!
Unfortunately it rarely works that way, more often then not other drivers are too hesitant to overtake cyclists, especially on narrow roads like in pics 2&3 of Lev’s post so traffic ends up going at the speed of bicycles.

you all seem to think bicycles are a problem?
i think they're the solution!
everytime you see someone on a bicycle, it's one less loser in a car!
and the less losers in cars, the more fluid the traffic will be!

That works very well when they have (and exclusively use) dedicated lanes and routes. Fewer cars, safer cyclists with routes that are nicer and probably quicker than the roads.

They're definitely a problem when I'm stuck behind one for several miles because he's riding in the middle of a narrow road - I want to go 40mph, not 10mph. They're also a problem when there's a group of ten taking up the entire road and, once again, I can't safely pass them. This morning's committee was nice though because there wasn't a single cyclist on the road - guess the cycling "solution" doesn't work in the rain :D

My main problem right now with most of the cyclists I encounter is their attitude towards the law; they only follow when it suits them. They take up space, inconvenience others and break the law with little or no consequence. This seems to be more of a problem with the affluent areas and in-town.

My main problem right now with most of the cyclists people I encounter is their attitude towards the law; they only follow when it suits them. They take up space, inconvenience others and break the law with little or no consequence. This seems to be more of a problem with the affluent areas and in-town.
FTFY - As I stated earlier the issue is mostly people who think their personal benefit is worth the (pretty slim) risk of getting a fine. That applies to almost everything nowadays, from not following the law while cycling or driving (especially parking wherever it suits, ignoring sidewalks, cycle paths, emergency access and whatnot) to littering or the bigger things like diverting money offshore.

I think the problem is mainly "group X of people do something wrong so group Y is entitled to do something else wrong", but I don't know how to break this cycle. :(

i don't agree with your last claim...

when i'm a pedestrian i'm not waiting for the light to turn green when crossing the road, if no car is comming i will cross! even if i'm not allowed by law...and that's not because someone else has parked illegal

FTFY - As I stated earlier the issue is mostly people who think their personal benefit is worth the (pretty slim) risk of getting a fine. That applies to almost everything nowadays, from not following the law while cycling or driving (especially parking wherever it suits, ignoring sidewalks, cycle paths, emergency access and whatnot) to littering or the bigger things like diverting money offshore.

I think the problem is mainly "group X of people do something wrong so group Y is entitled to do something else wrong", but I don't know how to break this cycle. :(
It’s really down to the impact of broken laws to me. Like @bone I don’t wait for a walk signal if I don’t have to (no one does in NYC really) but there isn’t any real impact to anyone. Same goes with say speeding (as long as you aren’t trying to Wangan Midnight around cars) or parking where you aren’t supposed for a couple of mins (depending on why you can’t park there of course).

When it comes to cyclists a lot of broken rules have negative impact on others, either slowing down traffic or creating dangerous situations for cars/pedestrians.

That is not to say that drivers don’t break rules in ways that cause disruption to others but we mostly tend to pan them for that, cyclists have a very vocal apologists that will excuse basically any behavior.

Yeah the difference isn't driving vs biking vs walking as much as "who is actually going to get in trouble". Police target mostly cars so drivers usually obey the rules better, not because they are better people, just more afraid of tickets. The solution is obviously enforce bicycle law breaking more so it's fair and that should fix the behavior issues.

One thing I like about this state is people seem to reasonably allow wiggle room for legality based on the situation. Most people seem to prioritize not disrupting traffic flow which I think works pretty well.

Yeah the difference isn't driving vs biking vs walking as much as "who is actually going to get in trouble". Police target mostly cars so drivers usually obey the rules better, not because they are better people, just more afraid of tickets. The solution is obviously enforce bicycle law breaking more so it's fair and that should fix the behavior issues.
The big difference, at least here, is the fact that aside from fines there isn’t much that happens when a cyclists breaks laws. Drivers can lose their license, we get points, our insurance goes up, etc...

The big difference, at least here, is the fact that aside from fines there isn’t much that happens when a cyclists breaks laws. Drivers can lose their license, we get points, our insurance goes up, etc...
Yeah there needs to be some kind of consequences. Like maybe allow bikes to slowly travel on sidewalks as pedestrians but once you want to go like 20mph on the actual road you need some sort of basic license that has it's own test for road laws.

I would not be terribly surprised if some places already have stuff like that but given I live on a giant hill I never stuck with biking long enough to find out how common it is.

Yeah there needs to be some kind of consequences. Like maybe allow bikes to slowly travel on sidewalks as pedestrians but once you want to go like 20mph on the actual road you need some sort of basic license that has it's own test for road laws.

I would not be terribly surprised if some places already have stuff like that but given I live on a giant hill I never stuck with biking long enough to find out how common it is.
Far as I’m aware in the US there are no licensing requirements. I think one of our EU members (maybe German) mentioned that biking offenses go on your drivers license there, but can’t remember for sure.

and if you don't have one, they keep hoovering over your head until you get one

get caught drunk rididing your bicycle when 16, and first thing you can do when getting your license on your 18th birthday, is go hand it it for a few weeks
(but when you kill someone as a minor, all is cleared the day you turn 18)

That would be nice to have here, however when it comes to the States there is no legal duty to carry identification at all times.

Here neither - you have to have an ID, but not carry it. ;)
Of you don't carry it and the police wants to identify you because you did something illegal, they will drive you home so you can get it though, or something. :D

Here neither - you have to have an ID, but not carry it. ;)
Of you don't carry it and the police wants to identify you because you did something illegal, they will drive you home so you can get it though, or something. :D
You pretty much don't have to provide any ID unless you are actually arrested. In some states the cops have the right to try and establish your identity without an arrest if they think you did something illegal but even then it doesn't require actual identification.*

You are also basically not required to have any form of photo ID whatsoever, you get an SS card and a birth certificate issued at birth** and that's your ID.

*Theoretically they can hold you for 48 hours or something like that without charging you with a crime but for something like a cycling offense likelihood of that is pretty low.
**If you are a legal resident you get a photo ID card proving that you are a legal resident but you only really ever need it if traveling abroad.

One exception I can think of is that I do have to carry my gun license and I do have to present it when asked by the police even if I'm not being detained and there's no suspicion of a crime.
But you only need it if you are carrying your weapon correct?

Yep. So basically always :LOL:
Right but you have to produce a license to prove that you are legally engaging in the licensed activity, which is no different than having to produce a driver’s license when you driving.