Dualscreen vs. different resolutions/ratios

thomas

Grouchy Beemer Owner
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
E39 M5, '94 Cadillac Fleetwood, '21 Focus Wagon
Morning folks!

I got a little issue with my setup here at work and while I keep forgetting to do an extensive search at home, I don't really have the hours to sink into it here at work. And internal IT is just useless anyway.

The issue:
- I got 2 screens on my PC with different native resolutions and aspect ratios
- I can't find a way to use them as two individual screens while maintaining their respective native resolution
- I am currently stuck at it being one extended desktop at 2560x1024, with at least the ability to maximize windows to just one of the screens

The setup:
- Windows XP SP3 (sigh, unchangable)
- nVidia Quadro 600, current driver 307.45, previously tested 320.xx (which did somehow not even made windows maximize to one screen)
- Screen 1: 22" 16:10 (1680x1050) connected via DVI to DVI
- Screen 2: 19" 5:4 (1280x1024) connected via DVI to DP

Any ideas or suggestions how, or even if, I can get both screens to run at their native resolution? I can't really change the hardware and XP is unfortunately a given, but I have basically free reign when it comes to drivers and software.

Cheers
Thomas

I use two screens with two very different resolutions, one Korean 27" at 2560x1440 and one Samsung 22" at 1600x1200. The one software I've used since day one is DisplayFusion. It takes over some of the controls (in W7 at least) and allows smartly maximizing apps as well as locking certain apps to certain displays. Try it out on trial, it should help

Last edited:
DisplayFusion is awesome. Been using it for many years too!

I never had that issue before as I never used different screens in a multi-monitor-setup (that didn't have the same resolution, 19+17" a decade back , both 1280x1024). And because I manually and off the books improved my own work-machine here, I am just happy that there is such a helpful tool! :D I just got sick of single-screen a few days ago and sourced the 19"...

I never had that issue before as I never used different screens in a multi-monitor-setup (that didn't have the same resolution, 19+17" a decade back , both 1280x1024). And because I manually and off the books improved my own work-machine here, I am just happy that there is such a helpful tool! :D I just got sick of single-screen a few days ago and sourced the 19"...

Something is still screwy though. I used to run a 19" CRT next to a 17" CRT on Windows XP with no issues and I wasn't running DisplayFusion. I just went into the settings and set it all up with extend displays mode. XP should do it out of the box.

I haven't run XP in years though so shrug. Just glad you got it working.

Possibly.

I've never had to use third party software to set up multiple monitors with windows. As long as mirroring wasn't turned on, both displays had separate resolutions.