Dumbest thing you've done in a car.

I was 17 and rolled a Toyota pickup about 6 or so times at 65mph while not wearing a seat belt and extremely high. Flew out the side window and had my spine/lungs/ribs crushed as the truck rolled over me. Spent the next three months in the hospital and almost died on the operating table from respiratory arrest. I haven't walked since that day, nor can I feel or move anything from the chest down to my feet. That was 10 years ago, and though life as a paraplegic in a wheelchair isn't the end of the world (I thank God I even made it through alive), I'm still amazed at how just a few seconds can change your life so dramatically. My life since has been good, all things considered; I just have to take it one day at a time.

Sorry if that's too heavy for some, but that was certainly the dumbest thing I've ever done in a car :)

i dont want to be mean or anything. but do you think they put seat belts in cars for the lols. why the hell were you not wearing a seatbelt :blink:

this is what my mom does EVERY time :mad:
MOTHER the stoplight is 3 cars lengths ahead!

duct-tape.jpg

Not had a chance to do anything dumb yet, although I did follow a van turning right across traffic and nearly collected a Fiesta. Luckily I was going very slow, still locked the front wheels up though. :D

Last edited:
Not had a chance to do anything dumb yet, although I did follow a van turning right across traffic and nearly collected a Fiesta. Luckily I was going very slow, still locked the front wheels up though. :D

Oh that actually reminds me.... I was driving a friend home and for some reason thought I had to go left so I got into the left lane and was about to get into the left turn lane when I come up on the intersection he tells me I need to go right so I made a sharp right in front of a work van. Good thing only one of us had a turbo :)

That actually sounds AWESOME

Yea it was usually 4 on 4 in two different cars. That was back when we all had crappy rust buckets. Not like the paint balls did any damage anyway. We'd just slowly drive around random neighborhoods at night with our lights off looking for each other. :lol:

the internet, the only place where suggesting to gag one's mother with gaffer tape is considered funny.:lol:

I wish I could say that my dumbest thing involved a bit of speed, then I would have a decent excuse. But no, it does not. Rather than starting my brother' car and reversing it, I decided to just open the door, reach in to the steering wheel and push it backwards. Unfortunately, I caught the door in a tree branch and pushed the door out further than it should go, stretching the hinges. Luckily, I did have a panel beater that owed me a favour at the time.

i dont want to be mean or anything. but do you think they put seat belts in cars for the lols. why the hell were you not wearing a seatbelt :blink:

Actually, at that time, back in the 90's, none of my friends/family wore seatbelts. It just wasn't emphasized as something as important as it is now, so it just wasn't something we really thought much about. Yeah, I know it was stupid, but we were young and didn't really care at the time. Of course I know better now. Trust me, I wish I knew better then........Sometimes you learn things the hard way.

Last edited:
I wish I could say that my dumbest thing involved a bit of speed, then I would have a decent excuse. But no, it does not. Rather than starting my brother' car and reversing it, I decided to just open the door, reach in to the steering wheel and push it backwards. Unfortunately, I caught the door in a tree branch and pushed the door out further than it should go, stretching the hinges. Luckily, I did have a panel beater that owed me a favour at the time.

Technically you weren't in the car though were you? :mrgreen:

The most stupid thing i've done was misjudging how much time i had to overtake a lorry. There was a car coming against us a long way down the road, and i thought i could easily make it. Turns out i couldn't (damn 1.3), but luckily the oncoming car turned off the road just before we would have "met".

I doubt there would ever have been a collision (the road was wide enough to avoid that), but nedless to say my heart was racing like crazy.
This was only a couple of months after getting my license. I sure hope i'd be better at judging those things today.

The most stupid thing i've done was misjudging how much time i had to overtake a lorry. There was a car coming against us a long way down the road, and i thought i could easily make it. Turns out i couldn't (damn 1.3), but luckily the oncoming car turned off the road just before we would have "met".

I doubt there would ever have been a collision (the road was wide enough to avoid that), but nedless to say my heart was racing like crazy.
This was only a couple of months after getting my license. I sure hope i'd be better at judging those things today.

X2 Yours reminded me of a similar occurrence.

(I have plagiarized your post, hope you don?t mind.:))

The most stupid thing I?ve done was misjudging how much time I had to overtake a lorry. There was a car coming against us a long way down the road, and I thought I could easily make it. Turns out I couldn't (damn 1.6), but the other car slowed down and luckily I made it past.

I know there would have been a collision (the road was not wide enough to avoid that), and needless to say my heart was racing like crazy.
This was only a couple of years after getting my license. I am better at judging those things today and have 2.5 liters available.
:?

Trying to peek around a Chevy suburban and stuffing it into the back of a Nissan Altima which was stopped and it crunched a toyota in front of it..

Yeah what a way to have a first accident :rolleyes:

Trying to peek around a Chevy suburban and stuffing it into the back of a Nissan Altima which was stopped and it crunched a toyota in front of it..

Yeah what a way to have a first accident :rolleyes:

LOL that actually sounds pretty damn funny. My friend managed to do something like that on a slippery road, rear ended an SUV causing it to rear end another car.

X2 Yours reminded me of a similar occurrence.

(I have plagiarized your post, hope you don?t mind.:))

The most stupid thing I?ve done was misjudging how much time I had to overtake a lorry. There was a car coming against us a long way down the road, and I thought I could easily make it. Turns out I couldn't (damn 1.6), but the other car slowed down and luckily I made it past.

I know there would have been a collision (the road was not wide enough to avoid that), and needless to say my heart was racing like crazy.
This was only a couple of years after getting my license. I am better at judging those things today and have 2.5 liters available.
:?

I don't mean to be rude, but I think the most stupid part of both your experiences is not having tried to overtake a lorry and misjudged the distance or speed of oncoming car (which can happen, especially to unexperienced drivers), but having decided not to quit the overtaking attempt by braking, letting the lorry pass and get back behind it.

I actually misjudged and tried to overtake when it wasn't possible a couple of time; it just happens, but all you need is to push hard on the brakes and get back where you come from. No harm, apart to one's ego.

I have had to cancel a couple of overtaking attempts due to the Mazda being less punchy than the Bluebird I used to drive. That was during the first months of ownership though, now I've learned how to get the oomph out of it and also how to measure the distance needed to get past. I also overtake a lot less nowadays.

It's always interesting, though :mrgreen: "Ok, here we go. Holy shit, where's the power? Gotta gotta gotta go back, whew."

I don't mean to be rude, but I think the most stupid part of both your experiences is not having tried to overtake a lorry and misjudged the distance or speed of oncoming car (which can happen, especially to unexperienced drivers), but having decided not to quit the overtaking attempt by braking, letting the lorry pass and get back behind it.

I actually misjudged and tried to overtake when it wasn't possible a couple of time; it just happens, but all you need is to push hard on the brakes and get back where you come from. No harm, apart to one's ego.

One thing is theory, another is how it all plays out in the situation. I'm not saying my reaction was in any way clever, but this was one long ass truck. I was quite far into the overtaking when i realised that i wouldn't be able to make it before the other car passed, so i kept on going.

But that happens when you're inexperienced, you make some stupid calls. You feel like you're in total control, but in this kind of situation, more often than not, you just aren't. I've been driving for 1,5 years now, so i'm still not what you would call experienced - at least not compared to people who have had their license for 20-40 years. But i have come to understand my own abilities better, and learned the limits of the car better, so hopefully i take fewer stupid riscs when driving.

It's like that with most people. It takes some time to realize that you're not invulnerable, some never realize it. My friend who has just gotten his license, is always saying "i'm a good driver, better than a lot of others on the road", and i always tell him to wait a year and see if he still says the same thing.

... catch my car on fire, then putting it out and continuing to offroad until it REALLY caught on fire? Yeah, bad decision. Spelled the end to one 97 Ford Explorer.

Other than that, again the Explorer, driving it into a huuuge ditch at the top of a hill I couldn't see (I was going up the hill, angles were bad, ended up at 11pm getting pulled out by a Dodge Ram with pinched U-joints. What a disgrace)