Dumbest thing you've done in a car.

Does my ex-wife count?

I was 16 or 17 and out late with my best bud. There were a few beers involved. At that age, I was driving the family "hand-me-down" car, a 1979 Ford LTD Country Squire station wagon (estate for the rest of the world). It was light blue with woody panels on the sides and matching lt. blue vinyl interior... and a 351W V8 under the hood.

Anyway, I had an idea to try something I saw in a movie. The movie was Mad Max. Early in the film, Max comes up to a wreck in the road and stops very quickly. The shot shows his car slowing down but most importantly shows the rear tires were spinning backwards. I thought, "cool! the car's moving forwards but the he's roasting the tires in Reverse!"

So, it's off to the closest high school parking lot to try this. I get her up to 30-40MPH (I think) and slam hard on the brakes (with my left foot) to lock them up. While the car was squealing to a stop I tossed it in Reverse and floored the accelerator. SUCCESS!! The BattleWagon (as we called it) was traveling forward and the tires were spinning madly in reverse! The white smoke was billowing from the tires and the squealing was loud enough to wake anyone with a 1/8 mile!

As soon as forward progress was halted the car got traction and took off in reverse. When the seat of my pants said we were going fast enough I did the procedure again, but this time moving backwards and tossing it in Drive. Again, copious amounts of squealing and tire smoke.

After the 4th or 5th transition, my sobering sanity got the best of me and I decided to get the hell out of Dodge before any police showed up. I probably took a good 1000 miles off the tires and God only knows how many hours off the drivetrain that night! Damn, it was fun though!

^ I've always wanted to try that. Never had the guts though. I can now rest in knowing what would happen.

making out in a car...and accidentily toss it out of gear (E-brake wasn't on, caus the handle was in the way)...not noticing you've started rolling...and ending up in a ditch...

i felt pretty dumb back then :|

^ Are you sure you don't live in some wacky sitcom world? Seriously, that sounds like something that would happen in one of those shows! :lol:

I guess they have to get their real-life inspirations from somewhere!

friend of mine ended in a pond.. :lol:

^ Are you sure you don't live in some wacky sitcom world? Seriously, that sounds like something that would happen in one of those shows! :lol:

I guess they have to get their real-life inspirations from somewhere!

nope, that does happen
I can recommend the backseat though, no gearlevers or handbrakes in the way there :p

You have far more room too...

But I still managed to whack my arm on the ceiling somehow at one point...

Also the tray of of pickup truck / ute isn't so great, especially if you leave the tailgate down and then roll out and fall in mud face-first.

WTF....

Zesty's 'brain': Shut up, you idiot!
Me: I'm sowwy!

I think beer is always the missing ingredient to replace guts.

yeah, it motivated me to try traysliding in my old buick.

except besides the being drunk part, traysliding isn't actually as stupid as many other things...

I felt stupider running out of mary browns with all their trays though :lol:

Put a turbo sticker on the rear windscreen despite not really having any turbo.

I'm very tempted to get a turbo badge for my Volvo...even though it doesn't have a turbo.
But I'm resisting that temptation...for now.

I'm very tempted to get a turbo badge for my Volvo...even though it doesn't have a turbo.
But I'm resisting that temptation...for now.

I will mock you Clarkson style every chance I get if you do. :p

"Is that the turbo?"

How about a "Schr?dinger Turbo" badge? No-one will know for sure before they check.

Hmm, I guess the dumbest thing I have done recently is approaching a busy zebra-crossing, spotting a gap in pedestrians roughly the width of my car and deciding to gun it. Crossed it at 60kph with maybe 30-50cm distance between people to my left and right. It's a miracle nobody died, felt remorse the whole rest of the day.

I will mock you Clarkson style every chance I get if you do. :p

"Is that the turbo?"

In all seriousness - I won't do it.

But I'm seriously considering putting some "Designed by Porsche" stickers.
It really was...a bit.

yeah, it motivated me to try traysliding in my old buick.

except besides the being drunk part, traysliding isn't actually as stupid as many other things...

I felt stupider running out of mary browns with all their trays though :lol:

Me and my buddy did that inhis 323. Fun as hell, we were sober though, and yes, it does feel odd running out of a fast food joint with their treys... best part was, we returned them afterwards... full of holes.

My dumbest thing? Well its also the most embaressing and funny thing, ans some of you will admit, quite stupid. (oh I cant wait for the hail of bad reps :lol: )

Well ok, there was a huge party in Bochum, Germany on a Field with a huge Beer-Tend in Summer 2004, I got there by car -alone!!- got drunk and then discovered I hadnt any money for a Taxi, and more worse, I didnt knew where I was (I was that drunk and was standing in the middle of a field which was the parkinglot), so after I searched for 1 and a half hour my car, found it, got in, and then I somehow fell asleep.

Then I only knew that some policemen woke me up, car was running somehow, I had to go out (it was already daylight) and saw I ditched my car, 10 meters away from where I parked, spinning its wheels in the mud at idle, so the result was, the policemen took me to the office and I lost my driving license for 6 months and had to go to an psychologic test, in german also called "Der Idiotentest!" (idiot-test).

Yeah Yeah dont drink and drive, it does make sense, really somehow.

Last edited:
My dumbest thing? Well its also the most embaressing and funny thing, ans some of you will admit, quite stupid. (oh I cant wait for the hail of bad reps :lol: )

Well ok, there was a huge party in Bochum, Germany on a Field with a huge Beer-Tend in Summer 2004, I got there by car -alone!!- got drunk and then discovered I hadnt any money for a Taxi, and more worse, I didnt knew where I was (I was that drunk and was standing in the middle of a field which was the parkinglot), so after I searched for 1 and a half hour my car, found it, got in, and then I somehow fell asleep.

Then I only knew that some policemen woke me up, car was running somehow, I had to go out (it was already daylight) and saw I ditched my car, 10 meters away from where I parked, spinning its wheels in the mud at idle, so the result was, the policemen took me to the office and I lost my driving license for 6 months and had to go to an psychologic test, in german also called "Der Idiotentest!" (idiot-test).

Yeah Yeah dont drink and drive, it does make sense, really somehow.

i give you rep + because when i get drunk i bearly can walk... and you could even start your car and ditch it while a sleep :D