Ownership Verified: E30 BMW 316i

Polkky

Car(s)
Eunos Roadster 1991, Renault Clio 2014
We started looking for a winter beater during the end of the past summer. First it was going to be an older 3-series, then a Merc, then a Volvo 240 and then again a 3-series when we found this black E30. R.A. and I bought it as a joint venture: he'll use it as a DD and I'll use it as a toy and whenever I feel like driving something from the 80's :p

What does it have?
-RWD
-eight black and round rubber things, four of which have studs on them
-a rear spoiler (+30hp)
-a "new" gear box and the cambelt has just been done
-authentic fake BBS rims

What doesn't it have?
-limited slip diff :lol:

What does it need?
-MOT in a few weeks
-the basic problem of these is a worn camshaft / stuck lifters. We're trying to help the situation with a few short interval oil changes and other tricks, but new parts can be sourced and changed if necessary.

IMG_4690i.JPG

IMG_4691i.JPG

IMG_4694.JPG

IMG_4702i.JPG

IMG_4704i.JPG

IMG_4706i.JPG

IMG_4713i.JPG

After getting the car a few weeks back, the first thing we did was cleaning the interior. The seat covers were filthy, I'm sure they were filled with various STD's and the car itself smelled like a brothel. We went full el cheapo amish with the new covers.

IMG_4695.JPG

IMG_4696.JPG

IMG_4697.JPG

IMG_4698.JPG

IMG_4699.JPG

IMG_4700.JPG

That took care of the worst, but it still smells funny inside. Now we're in the process of flushing the engine. We also changed the coolant just to be sure. If the cambelt has indeed been recently changed, they definitely did not touch the water pump. The old coolant was :sick:

R.A. also tried his hands at buffing. It didn't go worse, that's a win.

IMG_4734.JPG

IMG_4735.JPG

Proof pic will follow shortly.

Very nice, very nice!

Now if it only had six cylinders... :tease:
Someone had to say it, now we got it done and out of the way

Those seats are really interesting, I wonder what car they are from. Not stock E30 by any means.

As for the rest of the car, good buy! :)

Yeah, there was indeed a K?nig badge if I'm not fully mistaken. The seats are very supportive despite their poor state.

Looks really clean, at least in the pictures. :burnrubber:

Last edited:
Looks really clean, at least in the pictures. :burnrubber:

Well, it's okay for a car which is one year younger than me and Polkky are ;)

Should change differential oil and wax the car this weekend. And I should do the buffing again to the trunk and roof...

We took a look at the front brakes to see if there's a reason why the wear sensor light is on all the time.

The left side looked like this:
WP_20151021_19_03_44_Pro.jpg

New pads, cut sensor cable and an oddly worn disc. The right side also had new pads, but the disc was completely clear of any rust. It was, however, just 7mm thick, so I think we have to do some brake work this weekend.

Random photo from underneath the car:
WP_20151021_19_04_25_Pro.jpg

The gear box is wet. R.A. said that it's always been like that, so I hope it's only spillage from filling the gear box with new oil.

Last but not least, proof picture!

WP_20151021_19_41_06_Pro.jpg

The gear box is wet. R.A. said that it's always been like that, so I hope it's only spillage from filling the gear box with new oil.

I can assure you it's not. What it is, is a BMW feature. :lol: I think I've never witnessed a dry gearbox on any BMW

Looks absolutely correct for the job. I have to ask how much did it cost? I've really been feeling like jumping on the winter beater bandwagon lately.. It's after all been 1 winter without one for me.. :p

It was just a tad over the four figure tonnin seteli-limit. The price was right with all of its pros and cons.

R.A. acquired the brake parts yesterday and will put them on tomorrow while I'm :cheers: elsewhere.

It was just a tad over the four figure tonnin seteli-limit. The price was right with all of its pros and cons.

R.A. acquired the brake parts yesterday and will put them on tomorrow while I'm :cheers: elsewhere.

Brake parts - check! Yes, this car was cheap but still it runs okay despite the, err, interesting sound of slightly worn M40B16. Camshaft and hydraulic lifters I assume.
We did RVS-treatment for the engine (half out of pure curiosity) and the sound softened a bit but it's still veerry recognisable.

Also we found one rust spot from the right front inside fender. But that is now taken care of, so now car should be ready for MOT test. Time to find out if there's anything else wrong :D

IjTchLlQ7lpZVn0R3DXMJDu70xKMRxHQdSRdh0i_8ut9lb82bjmOXGvfENcz5KKopLpZYTqJvLymM6xX1mpUyCI_jB6vXsaBQpgvyHGNFeqiQ86_b65Gtlk08aI8W10myyEKHSjTjAT4QlOgBoIkbwFm4xqNI-kMpJcZXSJK3A9CXpGi910vpO0liPJwuFixlFgywisIqhmkwKx-dBROEhMJ2B839yCLjeeXRPZljYpZJNhfa7qQB3d-DSOAZpAdXKN8hJiJ-ToZdfChZloK59LFHb7DTlGWE9lsc6abLEBLrt9AgT70aNwtVAT6XLNt_2moOPG_S2YLBz5zgasHb_hyYeeDUZZiODNtghXCQTTCTamsZ5B2hykrW-2kL8cSI-vewWSfRKEe7aDW2qNnZEGoPw4jIGzHqy2_pIPsjhzML-ocpF-ArMN9ihz9SvuntXkBXrtTkUhNf8dNABXwtizDyknhD8vfuZb2iZQc30OTI9kFuifdVONpdAXjhfOnytdu3-L0wKt0KABSSoc1Kz7Pp0IO5ZRRBzsI-Z4t2Eg=w450-h599-no

cDRLH0uTOUEVDsuwWX4GkpLgH8OcKtXJDPypVinUSFke6zadPHKzQIW1-kuUO_S8v-VePnV9GVfaOU10VsuHvMpf8T5AStpYxYZlLk8JyPpnGSKiMXvz3Oke733rtw8JNgTdiXEjH9OCsQTktWYEl5jUDlFr669cn4kWxUovwuy6QbtSJEgpkei70XEcRR91kARttjS6r3zhwhuatHR4t4lujCEfjkvwwJ6OXtQwaEm3bgqoGEwkcQBNDGuMn4OLf9qmzXCZFjU38mkdAedUzRIYLB_3HCtB9mU08wjnjIHRqdjEV4zgqsXTWVZrHvmrS60eLnjrqvBTazXORUALcdfnaWSjyENtqKxZFABs9LxwSicGyaepGW5x6fYq8__2TumWaF5uqdjsnFbM1a0JRgkJZRnTF54BkV8nrqPF9bHdDKkCNWIyP5bzzjPLMks-9ccpenv_lM0K-7r8RFwtRfcjUdct-y52B7bHveYs59Zelo7-DlToF-Rj2imIxhnNsxiLpgEtbTtQbe8NJBgWlfwRMgnZdDjkHW9WN921eTw=w450-h599-no

L9g6cgFkkWF_PXo50hHc9Gpv7XruP1WcXVU0Jj1qToun8PLeIte5dWWLpnqNp-tqdyF91SxMjZr7wChfkQZ90UufyEAsa3A8YH6onE0LeQhe0iAM1yYDrDok2fymFzkgZaK1L3ejJmTWjf4z-3A3IATjceVeCcqnuvPuiA9VS9XRfhDsaKGmkVMSKQnvHYhFXYMmMrVr4g1afCP5IpZ-3ZUaHnBLZvKK3ckVElcEgTZEpUdTivPeNhb8a2TH30stDmwQE0PG0f_Z6hB0KB5a0d0qRqyz8A6bNj2Kdm9L7UlM4o4g3z_q2sJhbdYNjK9eVX4mVD8GNOGsq5m_6tN2HLCuP8tV_hm4pDmau-dbz-irBX92IwlqaFqgumwnojCqimlgvWA417j97SwmkHll_Ji1ao7CoNVTD7fPsNsyYHUGYPEtkaE9ugDLEVvVYcBuu3PaOkARN-IIUB42mYd0CAjYpPXd-knvU4OWa8ODAwt4Y5x0kFeykqGg3uBkkTTocBC1rEvTliqWzMlncyWMnQgVjUqADfSGSOqkuIySIZQ=w799-h599-no

Last edited:
Looks very neat! I was looking at E30s, when browsing for a car on a budget. Came across completely rotten ones, even with acceptable mileage, this looks very clean, congrats!

Also we found one rust spot from the right front inside fender...Time to find out if there's anything else wrong :D

Well, deep in my mind I was quite sure there's going to be something which needs fixing. Of course I hoped it would pass...but it didn't: Two more softened rust spots, rusted rear brake lines, worn rear brake hoses, worn front ball joints and lower control arm bushings, almost all rear bushings worn out too. What that means is 280,87? now spent for new parts...25% from the car's buying price :D

Polkky was almost ready to sell the car away but I thought this to be very normal for a 26 year old car. So we're fixing it :) if the parts arrive on time we'll change parts next weekend.

Looks very neat! I was looking at E30s, when browsing for a car on a budget. Came across completely rotten ones, even with acceptable mileage, this looks very clean, congrats!

Thing with E30s is that even newest of them start to be almost 25 years old. if you find a decent one from which someone has taken care of it will cost quite a lot more than this one did. But with some work and money bad one can be made okay as we are doing. Luckily spare parts for 316 E30 are a lot cheaper than for my other car... :D