e60 530i sport

rootrider

Mr. TDI SportWagen
Car(s)
'14 Panamera Turbo S
in an effort to stave off likely impending repair costs, to save money, and to grow up while still having fun, I am replacing this...

DSC_6048.jpg

with this...

8517323134x640.jpg

The wagon has a little over 140k miles/225k km and is still on almost all original mechanical parts. The car is still running/working great, but I am ready for a change. My 'commute' is much shorter than it used to be (about 10 minutes to the bus station parking garage, compared with a 1 hour drive before), so the diesel engine in the wagon barely has time to warm up. I also just wanted something more comfortable, and something that can be quick and handle well while still maintaining a more normal ride height.

The solution came by way of a manual e60 with the largest available I-6 engine. Manual e60's are rare here.. I know they're rare pretty much everywhere, but they're definitely rare here. I actually wanted an e61 (touring), but with only ~600 manual 530xi tourings sold between US & Canada, this wasn't going to happen. We needed a car that was going to be at the cheap end of the scale, but still in good shape.

8517323172x640.jpg

I searched for about a month.. no manual wagon or sedan was for sale within 1000 - 1500 miles (1600-2400km) most of the time. But then this car popped up. It's a 2004 with 93,904 miles (151,124 km) at the time, and it looked really clean. It's a color combination I'm ok with (especially the black interior) as well. The car has about 50k less miles than the wagon, so this means at least a couple more years before this BMW gets to similar miles as what the wagon is now. We're not even sure if we'll be in the US in a couple years, so this suits us well.

8517323489x640.jpg

This 530i has the sport and premium packages.. so it has dynamic drive (the active sway bars), sport suspension, fully adjustable power leather seats, bi-xenon adaptive headlights, the variable ratio steering, etc. It also has the smokers package (just means it has ash trays.. meh. It doesn't look like anyone has ever smoked in the car), white indicator lights, sunroof, alarm system, type 123 wheels (standard on the 530i), and the dealer installed an auxiliary audio port.

The car had 4 owners before me.. though two of them only owned the car for a short amount of time. So somehow this car had four owners over 90k+ miles that all took very good care of the car. There are a couple of paint scratches and chips, and a few marks on the interior. The leather looks largely unused somehow, and everything still works except, unfortunately, the iDrive menu button on the console (thankfully this isn't a big issue).

So, I contacted the dealer the day the car came in, and was down there two days later to buy the car. These cars hold their value so poorly that it was actually available for less money than what I expect to sell my wagon that is in worse shape and has 50% higher miles.

8517324015x640.jpg

sooo.. it's a 2004 530i sport. It has about 94k miles now. It's Titanium Gray Metallic on the outside, and has the Black Dakota Leather on the inside. It's missing the cold weather package (or at least heated seats).. but I intend to add in heated seats at some point. It has the M54b30 3L I-6 engine with a 6spd manual transmission. I intend to leave the suspension stock, though I do expect to need to replace the dampers at some point. The car will definitely receive new wheels.. if I can find wide 18" concave wheels that I like.

8517323151x640.jpg

so all of the above are dealer photos. I haven't taken many myself yet, but here's a couple from when I picked it up:
10151172_844113455606062_1228363574_n.jpg

10001477_844113465606061_1079345690_n.jpg

and these are from this weekend.. went on a drive:
10153866_10152065207583471_1636943150_n.jpg

DSC_7163.jpg

DSC_7180.jpg

DSC_7181.jpg

DSC_7166.jpg

will have to have my title changed.. no more VW's soon :p

proof pic coming at some point..

New about it, saw it already on FB, now its finally hear. Overall I approve, although the E60 is still not my favourite.. :D

Now this is how you do a 6cyl BMW...not some diseasel auto... :p Shame you couldn't get a wagon though; the E61 is such a nice looking thing.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it too...

Needs some nice BBS LM type wheels, and the M-sport kit would give it fair amount of poise, but on the other hand if you want to keep it as a sleeper, then it's a no-no. On the whole though, BMWgear approves. :thumbup:

Edit: I'm being told that the electronic throttle pedal is something of a weak point with the M54 and something worth investigating how to fix.

Last edited:
it's not fast enough to be a 'sleeper' :p

I'm not sure I like the m-sport bumper much.. plus, everyone does it. Same goes for the LCI tail lights.. I like those, but everyone does it.

I don't mind the current looks too much. I stopped caring a lot about looks a little while ago. Now I just want some wheels that make the car look better, good tires, good brakes, and predictable handling/feel.

I have my '95 M3 for a faster car that sounds awesome :)

Great looking car! Although I'm a bigger fan of the e39 5 series, clean lower milage ones cost nearly as much as an e60 these days. And the e60 on BBS RX II's is a thing of beauty :woot:

RX_II_side.jpg

Now go buy some new shoes!

I very much like the e39 over the e60. I think the e39 is one of the best looking sedans in recent history. But finding one that I can rely on that doesn't cost more than this car did is almost impossible.. and then try to find a manual version :D

This is how you do a BMW, inline-6 with a 6-speed manual. One thing most people don't know, is that after five years BMWs don't hold their value that well. Makes them great deals on the used market. You get an upmarket car at a reasonable price. Colour combo is strong on that one, good choice.

I definitely wanted the largest NA inline 6 possible. It was either going to be an e39 530i or an e60 530i or 530xi. There was occasionally a manual 545i that was cheap enough.. but I didn't/don't want a BMW v8.

Besides.. now I have two BMW NA 3L I-6 engines :D

which also has an NA 3L 24v I-6 ;)

both the US and European cars had 3L and 3.2L versions Thomas ;)

the 3L is arguably better in some ways... both in Europe and in the US.

either way.. this 530i doesn't feel like it has an engine with the same as the M3's :D

Yeah, it still looks fairly modern. Then again, I think the E39 Facelift still looks perfectly good and fits in in modern design. Hell, the E39 for sure looks closer to the F10 than the E60.

It's hard for me, and others who have seen the car, to believe that it's 10 years old

- - - Updated - - -

wood trim may as well be standard on the e60.. they all have it. I'm glad this one has darker wood. I don't really even notice it any more, and it looks impressive to others I guess.

Lovely! I've always liked the E60 bodystyle. It sure has aged well! I'd love to own a remapped 535d m-sport, those things haul ass. Maybe someday :p

I didn't like the E60 when it first came out, but it sure has aged beautifully. I actually prefer it to the new generation by a large margin.

Hope it treats you well!

I specifically thought that the gray e60 was ugly, when they came out. Now I think they look pretty good :confused: