Earthquake hits Italy (6.3)

Jmiller

Car(s)
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5
:(

EQ's are never fun, especially in the old brick stuff that Italy is stereotypically composed of.

:(

EQ's are never fun, especially in the old brick stuff that Italy is stereotypically composed of.

From what i've read most of the old buildings are fine it's the new appartment blocks that have crumpled because of unsafe materials for building in a earthquakezone.

The news reports are saying some historical monuments/buildings have been destroyed too. :|

Well, Avanti lives in Milan, so he should be fine.

Sad to see :(

Italy is a glorious place.

Really? New buildings built with unsafe materials for an earthquake zone? That's.. just so backwards @_@

6+ earthquakes are not fun.

We had one in January, wiped out a whole town (6.2), about three weeks ago we had a 6.3 that didn't cause any damage....

All? I can only think of 1 :rolleyes:

I guess the rest of the Italians is too busy with driving nice cars, eating great food, doing their hair, checking out the ladies, going for a tan... :cry: OMG it's such a great country

Also, I was pretty shocked that an earthquake of "only" 6.2 could cause so much damage and deaths... IIRC 40 people killed already ... RIP.

I thought it was a 5.8 mag. I heard some prof. warned it was coming and was ignored. Conspiracy? Unlikely although you never know these days :/ :p I wonder when some religous crazy will blame sin or on the gay and lesbian communitie.

I heard that within 6 hours there were so many rescue parties and army/police helping out, a lot were getting in the way more than helping. How many days did it take for Katrina?

</troll>

RIP, neighbours.

Is there a tally of survivors found and pulled from the rubble?

California has a strong-enough-to-do-damage earthquake quite frequently. This one in Italy was the strongest in over 30 years, if I heard right. California has very strict seismic codes in place that Italy, for whatever reason, has never enacted (or at least, not very stringent or enforced ones) from what I understand.

Horrible tragedy.

Not to play devil's advocate, IceBone, but an earthquake usually hits a localized area, and many people's homes were safe, and many roads clear.

Hurricane Katrina drowned almost half the entire gulf coast, for miles inland; the only way in was by aircraft or boats from miles away. Katrina didn't just hit New Orleans.

Nothing is getting anywhere:
http://img518.imageshack.**/img518/7544/60py.jpg
http://img225.imageshack.**/img225/7053/cityflooded1rv.jpg

Note: I'm not defending, however, the absolute humiliating response even after things were set in motion.

Last edited:
Jeez, still the death toll is rising... terrible

RIP

I?d really like to feel an earthquake once in my life. I mean, just the feeling of everything shaking. Of course earthquakes suck, but a mild one can't be that bad? Damn you Finland for having no seismic activity whatsoever..

I?d really like to feel an earthquake once in my life. I mean, just the feeling of everything shaking. Of course earthquakes suck, but a mild one can't be that bad? Damn you Finland for having no seismic activity whatsoever..
Maybe, maybe, a 4.5-5 is *fun* when in a secure building and you know your loved ones are in secure buildings too. You start talking 6, 7 and fun goes out the window.

I've only felt two earthquakes since I moved here 7 1/2 years ago...but there have been a lot more. Either I was sleeping, or driving (you don't feel them when you've driving unless is a HUGE one). In both instances, it just feels kinda like...ever been in stopped-traffic on an overpass, and something like a garbage truck drives past you? The bridge kinda bounces a bit. The two I felt, that's what they felt like. The 2nd one I felt though, I wasn't on a bridge, or in my 2nd floor apartment. I was in a basement of a mall built in the 50's with concrete floors probably no less than 2 feet thick. That's not supposed to move.

Also, I didn't want my last post to come across as a "our disaster was worse" scenario. I merely meant to show how the scenarios are DIFFERENT. Probably should have been a PM to Ice.