Earthquake/Tsunami Thread - FG Members Check In.

@thevictor: Most likely.

He was banned for a week, so he probably can't post. If anyone has his email address or phone number, can you let us know if he's ok?

Ok, glad to know he's ok.

My thoughts and prayers are with our cousins over there. I had family living in Japan until recently and seeing these places enveloped by such carnage is jarring beyond words.

Watching those pictures on YouTube and on the news, I am torn between horror and awe about the forces of nature. When I see that flood running over the countryside, I think there must be a tremendous death toll. I mean, there were cars driving on roads right in front of the wave! Many people surely didn't have time to leave their houses.

News about the malfunctioning reactor are still very unsettling. The cooling sytems obviously run on battery power, because the diesel-powered emergency generators failed. Isn't it ironic, that in order to keep a malfunctioning nuclear power plant under control, you need electricity?

People tend to forget, that you can't simply stop a nuclear power plant from one moment to another. There is no emergency switch and when you pull it, all is off. To shut it down properly, it needs a working technical environment. But what if the technical environment fails (which seems to be the case right now in Japan)?

If the worst case scenario becomes reality and they have a core meltdown, the whole catastrophe is catapulted on a completely different level. It makes me wonder again, how someone can be so foolish to build lots of nuclear power plants in the most active earth quake area in the world...

So who lives downwind from Japan?

Last edited:
News from this reached us even at work, where we typically don't exactly follow the news. The pictures and videos are horrifying.

I hope you get your family back together soon, hansvonaxion, and I'm glad that you and KaJuN are okay. All the best wishes to you and all other Japan residents....

The situation at the power plant is getting even more dangerous:

Radiation could already have leaked at nuke plant

TOKYO, March 12, Kyodo

Radioactive substances could already have leaked at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant after a magnitude 8.8 earthquake hit northern Japan, the operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Saturday.

The amount of radiation reached around 1,000 times the normal level in the control room of the No. 1 reactor of the plant, the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency also said. The discovery suggests radioactive steam could spread around the facility.

The agency also said radiation has been more than eight times the normal level at a monitoring post near the main gate of the plant.

The authorities expanded the evacuation area for residents in the vicinity of the plant from a 3-kilometer radius to 10 km on the orders of Prime Minister Naoto Kan, who plans to visit the facility later Saturday.

Last edited:
This is some pretty shocking stuff. Glad to hear that the FG members from the area are doing well.

Vancouver is protected by Vancouver Island, so we haven't had any tsunami warnings, although the west coast of the island probaby did.

Damn Nature, you scary.

But seriously, that's just frightening. My hopes and prayers are with the Nation of Japan and all those effected. :(

To all those hippies abusing this for crying about the evil evil nucular power again now: I want to see how your fucking windmills fare in a 8.9 quake. Grr.

To all those hippies abusing this for crying about the evil evil nucular power again now: I want to see how your fucking windmills fare in a 8.9 quake. Grr.

Yeah but they don't leak radioactive steam when they collapse.

This may not be the time nor the thread, but I'd like to point at the burning oil depots next to the Buddha of Road Safety (my Japanese geography sucks... on the other side of Tokyo bay). Those might be just as hazardous as the nuclear plants.

If the fucking windmills collapse, you just erect them again. Job done. The area won't be contaminated by radioactivity for decades.

I don't want to abuse this thread for a discussion about the pros and cons of nuclear power but I dare saying, that we wouldn't have the same headlines, if some traditional coal-powered power plants had been effected by the quake and the tsunami...