EA's President: single-player games are "finished"

Mitlov

Car(s)
2011 Civic Si, 2002 SV650
EA Games president Frank Gibeau's philosophy about the future of the games industry will probably come as a disappointment to everyone waiting on bated breath for Mirror's Edge 2: Even Edgier. Gibeau recently explained to Develop that EA is "very comfortable moving the discussion towards how we make connected gameplay ? be it co-operative or multiplayer or online services ? as opposed to fire-and-forget, packaged goods only, single-player, 25-hours-and you're out." He added, "I think that model is finished."

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/08/eas-gibeau-single-player-game-model-is-finished-online-is-t/

Because we all know that nobody liked Mass Effect 2 or Fallout 3 :blink:

I'd say "Looks like EA just doesn't want my money", but then I realized that I haven't bought an EA title in a very long time.

Seriously, I understand the appeal of multiplayer, but my favorite thing about games is a feeling of progression towards an ultimate goal and end point, which multiplayer simply doesn't give me.

Clearly EA's president has never used any of his products. He has also clearly never played a shooter on XboxLive. Games like Modern Warfare and Halo are strong cases for and again multiplayer online games. If you have ever played with a group of 13 yr olds, you will understand why the Single player game will always been in relevant.

Both types of games have their place. That's like saying movies will disappear because of games.

You beat Mass Effect 2 on 5 or 6 hours??
Kudos to you but I'm pretty sure you missed half the content and got all your squad killed in the last mission.

Anyway, no, single player and multiplayer have lived together since gaming became this expanding business that it is today, and they've gone hand in hand.
I like my single players, games are many times an interactive story, and that just doesn't work too well with multiplayers...

Because we all want our games to be spoiled by an 8-year old calling you a dickwad asshole <_<.

If you excuse me, I'll go hug my NFS6: HP2 disc, aka. The last EA game i shelled money for.

You beat Mass Effect 2 on 5 or 6 hours??
Kudos to you but I'm pretty sure you missed half the content and got all your squad killed in the last mission.

Never mind ME2, I'd like to know how someone finished Dragon Age: Origins in less than a bazillion hours.

Because we all want our games to be spoiled by an 8-year old calling you a dickwad asshole <_<.

If you excuse me, I'll go hug my NFS6: HP2 disc, aka. The last EA game i shelled money for.

I bought Mirror's Edge a few days ago for $5 on the EA store. It's actually pretty fun and its refreshingly different.

This won't affect Bioware, don't worry. If EA planned on fucking up Bioware they would've done so long ago, they've only strengthened Bioware.

He isn't completely wrong though. Good single player games tend to last 25 hours at a minimum, any less and most of the time it's kind of like why bother (unless it's super awesome like Mirror's Edge)

Definitely has something to do with the industry's desire to start charging significantly more for online interaction and multiplayer modes.

I'm not worried about BioWare changing, they won't. They do one thing and they do it the best in the business. I'm just worried about other EA properties and what this means for them.

Erm. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't The Sims
a) the best selling PC game
b) single player
c) published by EA

Sorry Valve, better stop development of HL2:EP3... we have it on good authority no one will buy it.