Egyptian Protests

Blind: my mentor would say that anything less is not a photograph at all.

Iran has apparently come out on the side of the protesters.

That is laughable, but I wonder if it is a carefully made decision to keep its own population at ease.

VOA said:
Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah criticized the protesters and expressed support for Mr. Mubarak. The state-run Saudi Press Agency quoted King Abdullah calling the organizers of the demonstrations "infiltrators" and accusing them of trying to destabilize Egypt in the name of freedom of expression. The report said the Saudi king made the comments in a phone call to the Egyptian president.

King Abdullah to the rescue. Freedom, bah says Abdullah. What a numpty.

Iran has apparently come out on the side of the protesters.

That is laughable, but I wonder if it is a carefully made decision to keep its own population at ease.

I think you're right. I'm not sure how affective it will be, they may be fellow Muslims but Persians hate Arabs.

Photographs can be more than photographs, they can embody an idea and ideas are worth dying for.

Exactly.

Burningmonk.jpg

TetOffensive.jpg

Last edited:
The opening was partly based on the images shot by Hungarian photographer Robert Capa. He was in the landing crafts going into Omaha beach on D-day.

That's guts. And stupidity. :)

Do we know what Capa was doing when he walked on a landmine?

Egypt shuts down al-Jazeera operations
Satellite TV channel's Egyptian bureau closed and licenses and accreditation withdrawn from staff

Al-Jazeera journalists gather at the channel's bureau in Cairo Al-Jazeera journalists gather at the channel's bureau in Cairo today. Egypt has ordered a shutdown of al-Jazeera's operations, the country's state broadcaster said. Photograph: Mohammed Abed/AFP/Getty Images

Egypt today shut down the operations of the Arabic satellite TV channel al-Jazeera, blaming it for encouraging the country's uprising ? and demonstrating that the repressive powers of central government are still functioning.

The state-run Mena news agency reported that the information ministry had ordered "suspension of operations of al-Jazeera, cancelling of its licenses and withdrawing accreditation to all its staff, as of today".

The Egyptian government has never made a secret of its dislike for the channel, but the final straw may have been an interview it broadcast yesterday with the popular cleric Yusuf al-Qaradawi, who called on the Egyptian president, Hosni Mubarak, to leave the country immediately.

Al-Jazeera has faced interference with its communications from Egypt since Friday.

The Qatar-based channel immediately denounced the closure, but insisted that it would carry on regardless. "Al-Jazeera sees this as an act designed to stifle and repress the freedom of reporting by the network and its journalists," a statement said.

"In this time of deep turmoil and unrest in Egyptian society it is imperative that voices from all sides be heard. The closing of our bureau by the Egyptian government is aimed at censoring and silencing the voices of the Egyptian people. "

Al-Jazeera correspondents have been reporting round the clock, in Arabic and English, from Cairo, Suez and Alexandria since the unprecedented unrest erupted early last week.

Qaradawi, often described as the spiritual leader of the Muslim Brotherhood ? formally banned but still powerful in Egypt ? addressed the president bluntly, saying: "Go away, Mubarak, leave the people alone. Enough ? you've ruled for 30 years already. Dozens have been killed in one day. You cannot stay."

The Egyptian national, who now lives in Qatar, called on Mubarak to follow the example of the Tunisian president, Zine al-Abidine Bin Ali, and leave honourably.

No country is more important to the Arab world than Egypt, and audiences across the region have been riveted by the unfolding drama on the satellite channel, popular precisely because it is so different from the normal run of self-censoring state media.

It is not the first time Egypt has cracked down on al-Jazeera. The channel came under fire during the Israeli attack on Gaza in late 2008 amid charges that it was lionising the Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas and aggravating the rift between moderate and rejectionist camps in the Arab world.

In 2006, its bureau chief in Cairo was charged with the false reporting of bomb blasts in the Sinai desert. Egypt also came under suspicion of jamming al-Jazeera broadcasts during the football World Cup in South Africa last summer.

Al-Jazeera, which is owned by the emir of Qatar, is often accused of promoting populist and alternative agendas by attacking repressive regimes and supporting Hamas or Hizbullah in Lebanon.

It was blamed for inciting unrest through its vivid coverage of the Tunisian uprising and was attacked by the Palestinian Authority over its recent coverage of the leaked Palestine papers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/30/egypt-shuts-down-al-jazeera-operations

Photographs can be more than photographs, they can embody an idea and ideas are worth dying for.
Indeed they are. Just as good, they can embody emotion, the lives and situations of human beings.

Blind: my mentor would say that anything less is not a photograph at all.
Then I think he's too conservative and dogmatic, with all due respect. I'm more of a liberal.

Capa%2C_Death_of_a_Loyalist_Soldier.jpg

It's not technical perfection. But it's perfection none the less.

Do we know what Capa was doing when he walked on a landmine?
Not to my knowledge. I like to think he tried to get closer to a motive. But he was probably just walking around.

BBC News said:
Profile: Omar Suleiman Suleiman: trusted Mubarak associate The new vice-president, Omar Suleiman, has emerged from the shadows in recent years to play an increasingly visible public role.

While few Egyptians know many personal details about the former intelligence chief, he has gained an international reputation as a mediator between Israel and the Palestinians and between rival Palestinian factions.

He is credited with helping to secure the ceasefire that ended the Israeli military offensive in Gaza in 2009.

He has also been trying to secure the release of the captured Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit, currently being held in Gaza by Hamas.

Since Egypt became the first Arab country to make peace with Israel in 1979, its Western allies have seen its involvement in such negotiations as key to its strategic regional importance.

General Suleiman has been a frequent visitor to the United States.

Born in 1935 in Qena in Upper Egypt, Omar Suleiman, joined the army in 1954 and received military training in the former Soviet Union. He also gained a higher degree in political science at university in Cairo.

Afterwards he moved quickly through the ranks of government intelligence. In 1991, he became director of military intelligence and two years later, he was named general intelligence director.

However he has also proven to be a trusted associate of the president, Hosni Mubarak. In 1995 his quick-witted advice may have saved the Egyptian leader's life in an assassination attempt on his motorcade in Ethiopia.

While he has shown little political ambition, General Suleiman has often been mentioned as a possible successor to the 82-year-old Mr Mubarak.

He would continue in the trend of military strongmen who have led Egypt since the 1952 revolution.

The prominent independent journalist, Ibrahim Issa, has previously suggested that the general would be "a compromise candidate for all Egyptian forces".

Last year posters supporting the general mysteriously appeared in central Cairo, only to be swiftly taken down.

In the past, constitutional rules would have posed a problem for any presidential bid. These officially dictate that a contender must have held a senior rank in a political party for at least a year prior to elections. General Suleiman has not been a member of the ruling National Democratic Party.

Now though, with tens of thousands of demonstrators on the streets venting their anger against the NDP, this can only stand in his favour.

Even if he is not the next president, even in a transitional capacity, some experts believe that Omar Suleiman is likely to be a kingmaker.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12319666
Your thoughts? If he becomes president, I think Israel can rest easy. The prospect of a new anti-Israeli Egypt must be making Jerusalem sh*t itself over the past few days.

Last edited:
The prospect of a new anti-Israeli Egypt must be making Jerusalem sh*t itself over the past few days.

It is a prospect that should worry all.

It is a prospect that should worry all.

Perhaps not Hamas, anyway. It's one of those things that we'll have to watch closely if/when the regime falls. If they get el Baradei (I don't know how likely that is), I don't think the official policy of Egypt will change that much. However, you never know, and we'll just have to wait and see.

Wether or not it's something we should all worry about.. well.. that depends. There are lots more important things to worry about, but if you believe Israel should be safe and prosperous, then you should probably worry about it. I do think that, so I do worry. That said, Egypt isn't that big a treat to present day Israel, at least not militarily. It was different in 1967 and 1973, but it's not 1967 or 1973 any longer.

What I think is a bigger, and potentially more dangerous aspect is the Suez canal. Would be rather difficult to run international trade if some less desirable people got control over the canal. I don't think the Yanks will get the Israelis to invade Egypt, so they can move in with, err, "peace keepers", like Britain and France did in 1956, but I'm sure there have at least been jokes in the White House about giving Bibi a call..

Viva La Revolucion

I don't know much about the middle east. only that Egypt was part of the 6 day war, anti isreal sentiments before Sadat took over then mubarak which upheld the peace treaty.

I'm wondering what are the implications of the mess in Egypt in present times. like are there any other parties trying to take control of the country? what are the implications of this to the arab world and the whole world? is there any chance that this might trigger instability in the middle east?

Before the Six Day war, she was also the victim of the Suez war, which didn't exactly relax tensions.

Anyone else running a Tor relay to help out with connectivity for people?

Anyone else running a Tor relay to help out with connectivity for people?

The government cut off the International lines. Tor won't do a thing for them.

Dial-up is apparently still working, especially if you dial up to a foreign ISP, a lot of whom are providing their services free to Egyptians.

In which case Tor is unnecessary.