Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

After some Googling I found that a lot of people were able to fix a similar problem by changing their PC's sound quality settings. But that didn't work either. :cry:

Maybe it's a mod? Try disabling all of them

Sounds to me like it must be a drivers thing. Try taking out your video card, assuming you're already on the latest drivers.

Too see if it's a video driver issue. You can also try uninstalling current drivers and installing old ones.

To clarify, what smib is saying would only work if you have a desktop with onboard graphics to fall back to when you remove the card...

Was gifted skyrim on steam. Did a couple of choice mods. Here are the results. It's so beautiful. Still getting 40+fps too.

ScreenShot5_zps438e19c3.jpg

ScreenShot6_zps898aa304.jpg

ScreenShot8_zps8ab07f1e.jpg

ScreenShot12_zps5a1b8823.jpg

ScreenShot16_zpse69a0c23.jpg

ScreenShot25_zps8b7d8491.jpg

ScreenShot20_zpsf9e8762c.jpg

ScreenShot28_zpsf2e6fc52.jpg

This one shows you just how 'dark' the night is with the sharpshooter enb + realistic lighting mod.
ScreenShot32_zps26a8c4c3.jpg

ScreenShot34_zpsc530be69.jpg

ScreenShot40_zps74daaed4.jpg

ScreenShot44_zpsc56d2eec.jpg

ScreenShot67_zps5b199096.jpg

And this...was one of the best video game experiences ever. I fought a dragon at night. As above, it's really, really dark. You cannot see the dragon at all when it's flying....really you can only see the dragon when it's throwing flames at you. :lol: It was difficult, but awesome. The pics kind of suck because it was hard to screenshot something you can't see.
ScreenShot68_zps6b0cc9a2.jpg

ScreenShot73_zps691ed87b.jpg

ScreenShot71_zpsc1e4bc40.jpg

ScreenShot74_zps83fa95fc.jpg

And just a close up of a person with these mods installed. This is vanilla skyrim model and textures mind you, only improved lighting and colors.
ScreenShot76_zpsfb79dce8.jpg

Last edited:
What mods are you using? I've wanted to mod my skyrim, but I've never found a good guide describing just a few good graphics mods rather than a list of hundreds.

Sharpshooter ENB is the big one: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/15105/?
(Not the easiest install ever, but not bad if you follow the instructions) Sexiest ENB I've tried. Great sun rays, great colors, great DOF, and fantastic contrast. I would say it's cinematic.

Realistic Flora: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/141/? (I chose regular) This one will hurt your framerate if you're machine is lacking. But it's beautiful, especially around White Run.

Upgraded Riverwood: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/18952/?
Adds quite a lot of trees, makes it feel so much more alive. Very much recommend.

Upgraded Solitude: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/21148/?
Adds more trees into the city. Not as much as Riverwood, but makes the city feel more lush. I like it.

They also have white run and a few others, but it didn't make sense to have a bunch of trees in white run I didn't think, and I don't care for the rest of the cities. I might do Riften.

Enhanced Lighting and FX: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/27043/?
Warning, this makes night time DARK. Most dungeon crawls are pitch black. It is intense. I'm playing as a Khajit, so the night eye power is actually a considerable asset, something you couldn't really claim in the vanilla skyrim. It also makes sneaking more believable because the world is much darker (and realistic, if you are into that sorta thing) overall. Sometimes it can be annoyingly dark in the middle of the day (if there is a storm or something) and most interiors are poorly lit...but then they would be because it's freakin' candles.

I really don't feel I need to do any more modding. The stock characters look damn good, and there is such a vast array of weapons and armor in the stock game, that I don't feel a need to expand it. The ENB and Enhanced Lights + FX really take the immersion up a notch. Night encounters without a torch or night eye or light spell are very spooky (you can see a Drauger's eyes in the dark, creepy!) but also very rewarding for a sneak type character, which I invariably choose. Overall, it makes Skyrim highly enjoyable, feels like a new game with just these few mods.

Last edited:
I recently set up a new lighting mod too and I love it:

jg4thhK.jpg

pjPMc2N.jpg

DlhKKXj.jpg

dbQIq6l.jpg

This last one is Whiterun. Yep, Whiterun. It's soooo much more beautiful with this mod I have.

BgFifL4.jpg

I also have a few texture and terrain mods that change the look of many areas. The second to last image is just outside Whiterun, where it's normally a brown, dead tundra-like place.

(Also, yes I know you can turn off your UI. I wasn't planning on using these for anything but personal enjoyment so I didn't bother.)

While they are indeed beautiful, I disagree with your last two mods. It is a Tundra, it should look like one! And if there are no trees around White Run, why would there be trees in White Run? I only say this because I considered both of those mods, but decided it would feel to strange.

White Run, I think, was very obviously inspired by Edoras from LOTR:

edoras-1-jpg.19206

Which is wonderful. I didn't want to change it.

Last edited:
True, but I'm not playing Skyrim for the realism. It's a fantasy game and I'd much rather look at pretty things than ugly, accurate things. Plus there are plenty of other brown areas in the game. I found myself staying away from Whiterun and favoring Falkreath even though as a city Falkreath is shit - but it's pretty.

And if there are no trees around White Run, why would there be trees in White Run?

In my Skyrim there are trees around Whiterun. Also, there's a thing called planting trees.

I also have a mod to swap the model for draugr to old people. :lol:

Last edited:
I wish the xbox got a mod to add the adoring fan back in

BY AZURA BY AZURA, IT'S THE GRAND CHAMPION
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S YOU
STANDING HERE
NEXT TO ME

I just completed Dawnguard and Dragonborn and I'm actually very impressed. I had read some reviews when they came out and based on those I thought they were kinda meh. But now that I actually tried them, they were both pretty awesome!

Actually I did it by upgrading to Legendary Edition when it was on sale a few weeks back. Contrary to my fears it was easily enough to make Skyrim feel "new" again and I've sunk a further 35+ hours into it on top of probably 100+ that got me to L47 the first time around. The DLCs easily got me to L50.

I think Dawnguard had the better plot and storytelling. Didn't care so much for the new weapons or armor, but the addition of Serana was just brilliant. I love the way that character is approaching the "immersive AI companion" direction that games never really had before Bioshock Infinite came out. And yes I realize Serana came before B:I, but you can easily see the effect of 2012 release vs. 2013 release too.

Dragonborn was pretty good too. The amount of content is just crazy for "only" a DLC. There were some things I didn't like, such as: the apochryphas / black book dungeons got a little repetitive after the first few, Solstheim wasn't as interestingly varied as the mainland, mostly just barren and/or brown where you do your questing (although that is explained quite throroughly in the backstory). The voice acting was slightly hit-and-miss - almost all Mora lines were painful, the Nord shaman girl was not great, but on the other hand the grand wizard in the south was awesome, and the Raven Rock citizens were better than average.

Some of the Legendary Edition additions were just plain awesome such as the ability to craft arrows. On the other hand, even though they added crafting stuff from firewood, apparently I still can't craft torches..? Still consistently running out.

For the first time ever I'm running a few Skyrim mods from Steamworks: Lush grass, HD plants, Pure weather, Pure waters and Better dynamic snow mods. The GTX980 allows me to run all that plus the base highest settings at 4K without a hitch. It looks great. Trouble is, mechanically Skyrim just shows its age now in 2014. In 2011 when I played the vanilla game it was awesome and I was willfully blind to its issues. But looking at it now, it has an incredible amount of immersion-breaking scripting and AI self-controlling behavioral bugs when you compare it to something like B:I. Characters running against walls, running into you, getting stuck on terrain and objects, animation issues, stuff like that. It's just showing its age, and also the grand scope, which I guess prevented some of the polish that can be expected from games like B:I.

I've got to say the value I got from a discounted Legendary Edition upgrade was incredible. And most of all it made me dust off Skyrim again. Furthermore, I'm anxiously waiting for Bethesda to make a new single player openworld RPG with modern AI and scripting tech. Generally I think the Skyrim game engine is absolutely ready for making yet another sequel, all it needs is some better textures, lighting effects, maybe some of the modern bolt-on toys like hair and skin effects, and general polish. The big task I think they are facing is with AI and worldbuilding.

Last edited: