TV: Elementary

Firecat

Politically Charged
A new show that premiered this week. I thought the pilot episode was pretty strong. Anybody watch? It's Sherlock Holmes and Watson, although the latter is played by Lucy Liu. I think it works though!

Elementary-CBS.jpg

It didn't feel like a Sherlock Holmes series, it just felt like a normal crime show like CSI or Bones. The plot, the solution, it was just too simple and predictable.

Then, to compare, I watched A Study in Pink. I know, I know, Elementary is just in its pilot, but still, I feel I might prefer the "original" modern day Sherlock, Sherlock. Won't miss the next episode, though
Also, noticed something.
edTwp.png

And yes, Watson should be a war veteran, not a good-looking asian girl. Who is disgusted when looking to a corpse.

Last edited:
I might give it a go, but because its basically an American rip off on a idea from Moffat, Gatiss and the BBC I doubt I'll stick around.

The amount of hate I have for this show means that when I watch it, I'll probably only see the negative.

I haven't gotten around to seeing the BBC Sherlock. So I have nothing to compare it to really. Yes, so far it's a standard police procedural.

I might give it a go, but because its basically an American rip off on a idea from Moffat, Gatiss and the BBC I doubt I'll stick around.

What? No. No way. The production company behind it only wanted to literally make an American version of Sherlock and were turned down and ended up going ahead anyways and making their own completely unique modernised Sherlock Holmes series. Completely different! :rolleyes: [/sarcasm if anyone didn't catch it somehow]

So will this end up like the U.S. Life on Mars?

I found the U.S. version of The Office to be better than the original (at least until season five or so).

Have now seen this. I will watch the next couple of episodes, but only out of interest. Pilots are supposed to be amazing to make sure people continue watching it. This was bad. Yes they were up against the unstoppably good BBC Drama department, but even so its bad. One factor that I think didn't help at all was that it is half the length of Sherlock (once ads are taken out its 45 mins) and that left absolutely no time for any kind of a plot worthy of Sherlock Holmes to be established. It felt so empty it was horrible.

Episode 2:
Dull. Dull, boring, unmemorable. Didn't watch past 20 minutes. It's basically any other crime show that's ever made in 'murica.

Episode 2; ^ Agree. Although I watched it all.

Jonny Lee Miller isn't a very good actor by any standards, but Lucy Liu takes unresponsive, unimaginative, unexpressed to whole new levels with her 'acting'. And the writing continues to follow exactly zero amounts of good. Yes, the BBC are the best at Drama, but even so the writers of this are terrible; and indeed it is just the same as any other crime show from 'murica. Which is fine if that's what its supposed to be; but Sherlock Holmes deserves nothing less than Sherlock, not Elementary.

'Murica; don't you dare go near the Doctor.

Just watched the first episode. Not impressed with it at all. I knew there was a strong chance I wouldn't like it but its such a horribly bad rip off from Sherlock. Whoever wrote this needs a visit from the weeping angels.
Lucy Liu is a bad choice of Watson. Lacs any real emotion or character. Jonny Lee Miller is ok but he doesn't match Benedicts acting ability.
I may watch a few more episodes to give it a chance to find its feet, but as far as I'm concerned I won't be making the time to watch it.