EPL 2013/14 - The English Premier League Thread

Monaco as well. But he wanted to go to Premier League so they got ruled out pretty quickly. And given the choice its kinda obvious who he would pick between United and Tottenham

For a normal person, I don't think that choice would be that obvious right now. Not with how Moyes was apparently treated.

With Van Gaal however.. His ego is easily big enough to not be deterred by such petty things :)

Monday 28th April 2014

Arsenal 3-0 Newcastle

.. and the last straggler of the weekend, with Arsenal just about securing a UCL place next year over Everton. Ozil was playing again, maybe good news for the German National team.

:smile:

Saturday 3rd May 2014

Aston Villa 3-1 Hull
Everton 2-3 Man City
Man Utd 0-1 Sunderland
Newcastle 3-0 Cardiff

Stoke 4-1 Fulham
Swansea 0-1 Southampton
West Ham 2-0 Tottenham

So it looks like my unlikeliest relegation candidate got relegated <_<. My other two were completely off!

Go figure, football, eh?

The headlines are that Fulham and Cardiff have got themselves relegated. :wave:

Man C played very well to come back against Everton after going one down. Everton did at the time, have a chance of a UCL place, albeit a slim one. Great goal by Berkley, but not good enough to beat City. It looks like their title to loose now.

On the other side of Manchester, United got rather easily beaten by Sunderland, who played like a team with their shit really together. Deserved win and yet again I am very pleased for Gus and the joib he has done there. They are probably safe now, with Norwich having to beat Chelsea today to stay up in the EPL. This loss will, hopefully, silence all the emotive calls for Ryan Giggs to be permanent coach, but van Gaal seems to be the main man in the frame.

Villa played themselves away from the drop zone with a nice win against Hull.

Stoke won easily but didn't play that well, to relegate Fulham who were hopeless. The fight was probably taken from them in the previous game when then lost a two goal lead to only get a draw.

Dunno what was up with Spurs, they should always beat a team like West Ham but didn't. Spurs need a new Coach and some new quality players to go with with Erikesen.

Swansea & Southampton didn't have anything to play for really, then nothing happened for ninety minutes when the Saint's scored the winner. Southampton will do their best to keep their coach and best players at the club, but probably won't suceed. (Pochettino would do nicely for Spurs actually. :think:)

Sunday 4th May 2014
Arsenal 1-0 West Brom
Chelsea 0-0 Norwich

A draw at Chelsea is exactly the result that neither team needed. Chelsea out of the EPL title race. While Norwich are now only numerically still un-relegated, but really are down.

Last edited:
I am praying for Aston Villa to pull one of those random results out against City, while Liverpool can hopefully dodge a potential Tony Pulis banana skin

I am praying for Aston Villa to pull one of those random results out against City, while Liverpool can hopefully dodge a potential Tony Pulis banana skin

I go along with you on that, but Villa are safe now, with most of the squad in a "on the beach" frame of mind. The exceptions being perhaps, any players who may be wanting to show out for the World Cup. All the National team coaches will be watching the live games or videos of the remaining EPL games, I suspect.

I'm hoping, and this specifically towards Villa, that since it's still a young team, they will come out and play to enjoy the game, rather than under pressure, and see what they can do!

*hope cling* haha

Sunderland - OK what's that all about then? From almost certain to go down to 10 pts out of 12pts in the last three games. ...

That was pathetic from Liverpool. Palace were amazing again. Pulis must now be fav for manager of the year.

Well.. At least it wasn't just Gerrards slip-up that cost them the championship now.

Monday 5th May 2014

Crystal Palace 3-3 Liverpool

Unbelievable! *ugh*

Yeah, three up and cruisin'. Sorry man, but still a great season for Liverpool so chin up! Concentration, nerves and silly mistakes, then it all goes to shit.
Football is a cruel mistress for a fan.

In a season where lots of weird results have popped up, Man C look like they should win the EPL title now, barring more weirdness in their last two games.

Sunderland - OK what's that all about then? From almost certain to go down to 10 pts out of 12pts in the last three games. ...

An amazing run and Palace too, your old lot. Both teams are having championship winning form, where as the actual EPL title challengers are slipping up.

Football, eh? :rolleyes:

EDIT: Steven Gerrard's immediate post-match expression pretty much said, "that's it for the title." Sadly, it may well be his last chance for an EPL title at his age.

Last edited:
Tuesday 6th May 2014

Man Utd 3-1 Hull

Wednesday 7th May 2014

Man City 4-0 Aston Villa
Sunderland 2-0 West Brom

The score at City belies the performance as they had to wait in the pouring rain for an hour to get the first. Villa were great up to that point, then the flood gates opened a bit. City pretty much now champions this year, needing only a point.

Sunderland are safe now, a good first half performance but a bit slack in the second, after they had done enough. Who the heck would have thought they'd finish 12th after being bottom for so long?

Giggs played a couple of new kids for Man U and the 18yo Wilson scored twice on his home debut. Janusaz had another excellent performance, I hope they keep hold of him. Vidic's last home game and probably Giggs' last too, but he did sub himself on in the second half. This made him the first player-manager for Man U since 1922! (BBC Stat)

Hoping for Man City and Liverpool to lose this weekend.

It could happen, right? :unsure:

I had really hoped that Liverpool would've pulled this one home, but it sure doesn't look very likely at this point. Still hoping though :)

Premiership is Man Cities' to loose. ...

Most surprising teams of 2014 - Good: Southampton and Crystal Palace.
Bad: Aston Villa, New Castle.
Most disappointing Club of 2014 : Spurs, come on how much did they spend once they sold Bale?
Most unbelievable run : Sunderland's run in under Poyet.

Last edited:
.. and Manchester City are the 2013/14 EPL Champions!

Premiership is Man Cities' to loose. ...

Ccorrectly predicted!

Most surprising teams of 2014 - Good: Southampton and Crystal Palace.

Pulis was outstanding, when he took over.
The Saints may loose their Coach and top players this summer, but make some money.

Bad: Aston Villa, New Castle.
Most disappointing Club of 2014 : Spurs, come on how much did they spend once they sold Bale?

Very disapponting, the strikers let Newcastle and Spurs down.

Most unbelievable run : Sunderland's run in under Poyet.

I was hoping Gus would do it and he has. Norwich are confirmed as relegated because they were crap this year.

Last edited:
What was the first red card against Newcastle for in the Liverpool match? I was watching the game on mute coz I was watching the grand prix at the same time.

Little disappointed Liverpool couldn't pull it off, would've rather them than Man City.