EU E. Coli scare anyone?

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, Tesla Model Y
Just curious how lucky German forum members are handling the recent fresh produce E. Coli contamination scare. I just heard on NPR that Russia is banning import of vegetables produced in EU nations.

I'm directly in the zone where many people are affected (northern Germany), and I couldn't care less, since in my opinion things like these are widely exaggerated by the media. Just yesterday I had a Subway sandwich with everything except tomatoes (I don't like tomatoes anyway).
Additionally I have faith in my immune system - in the last 20 years I've been ill for about 3 or 4 days altogether.

I'm directly in the zone where many people are affected (northern Germany), and I couldn't care less, since in my opinion things like these are widely exaggerated by the media. Just yesterday I had a Subway sandwich with everything except tomatoes (I don't like tomatoes anyway).
Additionally I have faith in my immune system - in the last 20 years I've been ill for about 3 or 4 days altogether.

It's funny you mention that because I just read the other day that Subway sandwiches has recently beaten out McD's as the most widespread fast food chain in the world.

It all sounds so fishy that it begs to be turned into a conspiracy theory.

The Russians are overreacting or using this as an excuse and our media is hyping it up to no end. As for myself, I don't care.

So the short answer is: No.

The Russians are overreacting or using this as an excuse
Russia use every excuse they can get to stop importing anything from Europe. This is no different.

I mostly feel sorry for the spanish cucumber producers who were falsly accused of being the source. I hear they're going to sue Germany now.

So the short answer is: No.
Yea. Except I don't buy german salad. Not that there ever were german salad to buy anyway.

Last edited:
Several years ago I had a severe case of E. Coli infection. In my case, it attacked my bladder. It took me several months and a lot of medication to put an end to the infection, because it was always coming back a couple of weeks after I was feeling okay. Is this the same E. Coli infection that is scaring everyone right now?

Conspiracy nuts point out the fact that the "unknown, hyper-aggressive subtype" has all hallmarks of bioweapons, but I think that it's this year's swine flu. Much ado about nothing. Anyone remember acrylamide? Two or three years ago we were told that we'll all die from cancer if we continue BBQ'ing. And now? Did anything change? Nothing. People just moved on.

Last edited:
but I think that it's this year's swine flu.

I have to say I feel the same about it at the moment, I'm certainly not going to stop eating salad veg because of it. Not yet anyway.

Several years ago I had a severe case of E. Coli infection. In my case, it attacked my bladder. It took me several months and a lot of medication to put an end to the infection, because it was always coming back a couple of weeks after I was feeling okay. Is this the same E. Coli infection that is scaring everyone right now?

No, scientists have decoded the RNA and it's a completely new strain never seen before. I also think it's no case for huge alarms, just diseases mutating into more aggressive forms and a bit resistant to antibiotics maybe.
I liked how Germany was fast to point the finger at Spain with no grounds whatsoever though, like if spanish cucumbers weren't exported to a wide variety of places and the outbreak was in a specific region of Germany.

I liked how Germany was fast to point the finger at Spain with no grounds whatsoever though, like if spanish cucumbers weren't exported to a wide variety of places and the outbreak was in a specific region of Germany.
There's elections coming up and southern europe is not in the highest regard these days due to the Euro crisis. A classic "blame Canada" move by our government. See, people? That's what you get when you vote conservative.

I blame Canada - what for I do not know though - I have always liked Canada/Canadians. Sort of Americans lite without the anti British element, and they seem to be comfortable with our relationship.

I've just stopped eating vegetables. So now I can eat even more bacon. Win-win.

It all sounds so fishy that it begs to be turned into a conspiracy theory.

The Russians are overreacting or using this as an excuse and our media is hyping it up to no end. As for myself, I don't care.

the russians are overreacting?
the germans killed the spanish famers! oh noes, we have a disease and don't know where it comes from, quickly blame some other country so our farmers aren't hit. germany should be fined so hard for that! that acquisition had no base what so ever

Well, the E. Coli bacterium was found on Spanish cucumbers. It just turned out at a later point in time that this specific stem is not the one currently making people sick.

Last edited:
^ clever :p

I've just stopped eating vegetables. So now I can eat even more bacon. Win-win.

Hiding behind bacon (or other meat products) may not be the answer, if the vectors of similar recently reported outbreaks of verotoxigenic E.coli is anything to go by:

E. coli VTEC non-O157 - Japan: O111, raw beef, 2010
E. coli VTEC non-O157 - USA (07): O26, ground beef, alert, recall
E. coli VTEC non-O157 - USA (06): O145, lettuce
E. coli VTEC non-O157 - USA (03): O145, lettuce, recall
E. coli VTEC non-O157 - USA (02): (OH, MI, NY) O145
E. coli VTEC non-O157 - USA: (MI, OH) 2008
E. coli VTEC non-O157, restaurant - USA (04)

E. coli VTEC non-O157, restaurant - USA

E. coli VTEC non-O157, ice cream, 2007 - Belgium: Antwerp
E. coli VTEC non-O157, beef sausage - Denmark
E. coli VTEC non-O157, 2000-2005 - USA

E. coli VTEC non-O157, lettuce - USA (02)
E. coli VTEC non-O157, lettuce - USA

E. coli VTEC non-O157 - Norway (03)
E. coli VTEC non-O157 - Norway
E. coli VTEC non-O157, minced beef ? Norway 2005
E. coli O145, fatal ? Slovenia 2003
E. coli, VTEC non-O157 - UK (Scotland)
E. coli, VTEC non-O157 - UK (Scotland) 2001
E. coli O26 - South Korea 1999

It's only raw meat that's to worry about. Deliciously crisp bacon should be fine.