EU E. Coli scare anyone?

Several years ago I had a severe case of E. Coli infection. In my case, it attacked my bladder. It took me several months and a lot of medication to put an end to the infection, because it was always coming back a couple of weeks after I was feeling okay. Is this the same E. Coli infection that is scaring everyone right now?

It's reportedly a new strain that can cause the same syndromes 'Hemolytic uremic syndrome' and 'Thrombocytopenic Thrombotic Purpura'. This is not medical school nor are you medical students so I'm not gonna bother explaining in detail, but if you wiki them, they'll explain pretty well.

Basically the last scare in the US media of this occurance, some presumably pooed in a public pool, contaminated it with a different strain E Coli, several children who swam in that contaminated swimming pool developed acute kidney failure and bleeding issues and some kids died. It looks like in the past, kids and the elderly, basically those with weak immune systems, were at highest risk. Now when elderly die from these complications, ppl get upset but nowhere near as upset when innocently little healthy kids die tragically from this stuff. The media loves to take those events and turn it into a sh**storm (literally). From what I read, this new european strain is putting people in the hospital for the same reasons.

Hence the store card. Records everything. Targets you for advertisement. Edeka doesnt have anything similar?

I value my privacy, thus i don't have such a thing.

What's a salad?

Today, I had a tasty caesar salad for lunch and some raw cucumbers with my dinner, yummy. As far as I can make out, there's a disease "pandemic" that makes headlines every single year, like E.Coli, Bird Flu, Swine Flu, SARS and whatever else that came every year before those.

Last edited:
I would doubt that this outbreak has anything to do with fresh vegetables. Most people wash raw vegetables before they are served and this is usually enough to get the shit (whether it be human, rat or what ever) off them. I suspect it will be processed meat of some sort (salami etc), where the shit is integrated into the very heart of the product, or some sort of prepackaged salad/coleslaw.

Besides the victims, I have to feel sorry for the hospitals dealing with this epidemic. The most common treatment for HUS and TTP (that causes the kidney failure in the 500+ cases reported) is plasmapheresis and most hospitals have no more than 2 or 3 machines able to deliver this treatment at a time. It must be bedlam in the Intensive Care Units in the affected areas, dealing with this influx as well as the usual endemic client?le.

Besides the victims, I have to feel sorry for the hospitals dealing with this epidemic. The most common treatment for HUS and TTP (that causes the kidney failure in the 500+ cases reported) is plasmapheresis and most hospitals have no more than 2 or 3 machines able to deliver this treatment at a time. It must be bedlam in the Intensive Care Units in the affected areas, dealing with this influx as well as the usual endemic client?le.

The UKE in Hamburg alone is treating 82 patients with HUS. They've got more than two or three machines for them.

The UKE in Hamburg alone is treating 82 patients with HUS. They've got more than two or three machines for them.

The UKE is one of the top-five teaching hospitals in Germany, though. Can't do much better than that. I think at your normal small-town Kreiskrankenhaus it's another story.

The UKE is one of the top-five teaching hospitals in Germany, though. Can't do much better than that. I think at your normal small-town Kreiskrankenhaus it's another story.

Those small-town hospitals have fewer cases to deal with.

Those small-town hospitals have fewer cases to deal with.

While that's a valid point, Germany's leading scaremongering magazine is running an article about the strain the outbreak puts on hospitals.

They say EHEC is OMG WORSE THAN SWINE FLU!!!11!!!11! As swine flu was a sad joke, this does not surprise at all.

They also say OMG SOME PEOPLE MIGHT BE EFFECTED WITHOUT EVER DEVELOPING SYMPTOMS!!11!!11! No shit, sherlock! That's what an immune system is for: To get the illness out of the body without symptoms.

I value my privacy, thus i don't have such a thing.

Meh privacy smivacschly. People in the queue and the cashier already know what you buy. Putting it in a database isn't going to hurt anyone.

They ruled out the festival in Hamburg now it seems. I assume they have already ruled out the water supply...?