Someone Else's Problem: EyeMWing's Correct-Wheel-Drive Lesbaru

EyeMWing's Correct-Wheel-Drive Lesbaru

A compressor clutch should be available in the aftermarket, unless they went way overboard and have a completely, totally custom compressor.

As for the relay, they may be using the resistance to give feedback to the system to ensure the relay is in place and not a bypass jumper. It would be stupid, but there you go.

Last edited:
No clutch in the aftermarket anywhere I can find. I suspect it's a new model compressor that hasn't hit critical mass yet (and with the upcoming transition to Fancypants New Refrigerant, may never).

No clutch in the aftermarket anywhere I can find. I suspect it's a new model compressor that hasn't hit critical mass yet (and with the upcoming transition to Fancypants New Refrigerant, may never).

Does it have a maker nameplate on it anywhere? Sanden, Sankyo, Denso?

Last edited:
This post gets a soundtrack:

July 5th, 2014.
914 days, 14 hours ago:
20130705_171748.jpg

Since then....

Obscene quantities of gasoline, tires, 0w20 Mobil 1, Motul RBF600 gear oil and ludicrous hours in the seat.

Snow above the ground clearance, torrential rain, sleet putting down a coat of ice, hail, mountains, beaches, war torn inner cities, rural bumfuckistan, racetracks and cone-strewn parking lots. It's gone everywhere and done everything I've asked of it.

The car is getting ragged cosmetically (though aside from a seat bolster tear, nothing a good detail shouldn't fix), but is still mechanically sound for the foreseeable future.

It is my daily driver.

JoQK-Qb-_4xkpS8bCkLZiPq92I0HCgf4Un1nW2TvjexikMBq2hzJGYoS39Ss_FeMW-B5Y49iGr9Htl6ZWUhIgUew-g7rHWR2Nr3dVxErJ6vKLM0b1oY4htWjEcBPTf5KEB2C66ZrtubJU7isy8i3blE99hYDeMu47gTv6_Q2Gt3qWb  25HPPP0FH5gL0GOgTNaeB41nyEPT5HIQEpsfG78-5mMR2P0_TjLkVkQJGfaJpDU3-NJE4rVwTrftNXtHhBDXJnWp70Vlx3ZGJx-SNAOWK-eoRo_A66GVmpDT7XeEknbswAE56UP7-Vs8-0rmqCDlyG5A_UqgGn-VUSCzJk6U4SeOTmwpyXiRk6A-05UiEJ4IKnt8iYAM081eZSasfVNZ4OpDxxRou1iFIXoBkMtblVnpBLxAAI9I-yPLH-Qou3Rfh34QnPkbYLJ9iCxpgUW6NTxjzMgApqssyYAjx7d8SDDBPZSAFlnTy0y-9cEzG24WPZSSMuAjj4lblYeqYq_pnv0YqT4axfWyvQ-BoJno-BXM4BKxJ-5sKCEKJBmIL3MdbkDPdQ-Aa4lzSr2bCc1JiB=w1481-h1099-no

Last edited:
That might just be me leaving it in 4th or 5th because I'm a giant asshole. You can touch 80 in 3rd. I actually don't recall what proper cruising RPMs are. I'll check on the way to the gym in a bit.

I still owe like $11k on this sucker, but I'm starting to think about what's next. I don't plan on trading this in, at least not immediately.

I am considering a Factory Five 818 kit build, which would relegate this to foul weather duty and truly do me in as permanently single (as of the present day I literally do not own any vehicles with more than one row of seating).

They really wind those engines out at highway speed.

I think that's just typical of 4cyl engines with manual transmissions. In my BRZ, cruising at 70 is about 3200rpm in 6th. My 5spd Prelude cruises at 3600rpm in 5th at 70mph. I always figured it had something to do with 4cyl not having as much torque down low as a V8. My friends z06 vette cruises at about 1700rpm in 6th so it sorta makes sense. Twice the cylinders, half the rpm.

It could be. The Altima is an auto, right? It might have something more to do with the transmission and a manuals "no slipping" nature than the number of cylinders.

I am considering a Factory Five 818 kit build, which would relegate this to foul weather duty and truly do me in as permanently single (as of the present day I literally do not own any vehicles with more than one row of seating).

You need to get motorcycles to fully nuke any pretenses of spawning :p

You need to get motorcycles to fully nuke any pretenses of spawning :p

100+ miles per day in Potholevania with New Jersey and NYC drivers passing through all the time? That's suicide.

Besides, an 818 is the 4-wheeled analog to a motorcycle. Just look at all this luxury and comfort!
CAM10163-694x413.jpg

Do it. Do it without thinking. WRX or STi motor and ALL THE FUN

I think that's just typical of 4cyl engines with manual transmissions. In my BRZ, cruising at 70 is about 3200rpm in 6th. My 5spd Prelude cruises at 3600rpm in 5th at 70mph. I always figured it had something to do with 4cyl not having as much torque down low as a V8. My friends z06 vette cruises at about 1700rpm in 6th so it sorta makes sense. Twice the cylinders, half the rpm.

My Miata is over 3,000RPM at 70mph as well. 2.0L 4-cyl.

I want to build an 818R but I will wait until they release a kit that allows you to use an FA20. It's just a much better engine than the EJ-series. Also, i need to wait until i buy a new house in 10 years or so. I just dont have the room at my current house.

I want to build an 818R but I will wait until they release a kit that allows you to use an FA20. It's just a much better engine than the EJ-series. Also, i need to wait until i buy a new house in 10 years or so. I just dont have the room at my current house.

Do the FA and EJ share a bellhousing? If so, balls to waiting for a kit.

FWIW, I'm thinking 818C with an R bent to it. I like roofs.

Edit: Yes. They do. I guess my donor Impreza will live on as the Practical Car.

Last edited:
100+ miles per day in Potholevania with New Jersey and NYC drivers passing through all the time? That's suicide.

Besides, an 818 is the 4-wheeled analog to a motorcycle. Just look at all this luxury and comfort!
CAM10163-694x413.jpg

No one said you had to commute on it, it's just great woman repellent (for the most part) :p

That said, the 818 looks sweet and would fit the bill.

As alluded to in the Random thread, throwout bearing sounds like doom.

So I spent an absurd amount of money to basically redo everything from the throwout bearing to the crankshaft and then some. Parts are on order and the plan is to do this next weekend.

Todo:
"Stage" (HATETHATWORD) 1 Clutch kit (Exedy). Because stock engine and aggressive user.
Chromoly flywheel (Exedy). Stock is 20.2lbs, this is 13.2lbs.
TRD (Sacrelige, I know, but there is no Subaru-side equivalent) short throw shifter conversion
Trans mount isolator - polyurethane. Think I ordered a Whiteline, but it doesn't really matter because they're all the same thing.
Trans mount bushing (Perrin) - the stock bushing leaves some isolator contact area on the table, which allows a bit more driveline roll than I think it should. Bigger one fixes that.
Shifter bushing (Perrin) - Allegedly tightens up some slop in the shifter.
Cabin shifter boot - I'm going to replace the leather boot with alcantara. If I like it, I'll replace moar leather with alcantara later.
A mad sweet JDM surprise (I may have watched too much Mighty Car Mods lately. You're all going to judge me for this when you see it).
Change the coolant (it's time per the schedule)
Revise the clutch pedal assembly to remove the n00b spring: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103157
Do the usual trans/diff fluid change (I'm a bit late, actually)
Change the clutch and brake fluids (I may put this off some and also go to SS brake lines. Or I may spaff the cash on brake lines this week. Who knows.)
Fog light bulbs (they're both out now)

Still off in the future:
Coilovers! I'm already ruining the car and fucking up my autocross class with this transmission business, so I may as well. May adversely affect snow driveability, unless I can find some that allow ride height adjustment right up to stock height. May have to get an account on FT86club to discuss this.
Replacement windshield. This one is cracked, has a zillion chip repairs and is apocalyptically pitted.
Poly diff bushings.
Poly errthing else.
Maybe some wheels at some point. I dunno. I kinda like the stock look.

Last edited:
So I have a giant pile of parts.

There's a bit of a problem with the clutch kit, though....
HTLcZCc.png

Somehow, in transit, the grease packet got wedged in a spot the grease packet should not go. Removal almost succeeded.

Waiting for the manufacturer to tell me if this is an "ignore it, it'll be fine" or a "warranty it" scenario.

Probably not a problem. They'll take it back if I want to, but frankly I'd rather stick the thing in the car and see what happens.

The task for the weekend, laid out on a fantastic shelf:
zbff3et.jpg

Clockwise from the upper left:
Coolant (Subaru Super Coolant)
TRD Scion FR-S Short Shift Kit (There is no STI equivalent)
Trans + Diff oil - Motul Gear 300 75w120 per usual
Fog lamp bulbs (Bog standard Phillips whites)
Motul RBF660 for brake and clutch, because why the hell not
Whiteline transmission mount bushing (Polyurethane)
Perrin Shift Linkage bushing (revised version of the factory part to reduce slop)
Perrin transmission mount bushing (revised version of the factory part to restrict left/right movement as well as up/down)
JDM STI Red Starter Button. Because I watch too much Mighty Car Mods.
Exedy 13lb chromoly flywheel. Factory is 20lbs.
OEM Throwout Bearing Clips
OEM Clutch Fork
Pile of OEM Flywheel bolts
Generic Aftermarket braided stainless/PFTE clutch hose.
Speed Bleeders for brakes (likely won't go on this weekend, I want to get braided stainless hoses for those too)
Dorman branded Speed Bleeders for the clutch MC and SC.
Exedy Stage 1 racing organic clutch
Alcantara shifter boot. Because why not. If it's lame, I'll go back to leather.
The rest of the Exedy clutch kit - pressure plate, pilot bearing, throwout bearing.

Not pictured, I also have an OEM pilot bearing. Just in case.