F1 2005

One thing worth noting about qualifying.
The first few drivers to go out used wets, then as soon as looked like the weather was fining up the next batch of drivers changed to slicks. If the weather stayed fine and sunny, would McLaren, Ferrari and so forth complained, no, because they would have an advantage of course (spend 300 million on a season you think you might pay a couple of guys to keep on eye on the sky), local knowledge etc. Their gamble didn?t pay off. The Jordan, Minardi drivers didn?t bitch about it being wet at the start, but as soon as a top runner gets wet they cry ?its unfair.? I say, live by the sword, drive by the sword.
Just my 2 cents..
cheers

Malaysian Grand Prix

Good race. Don't want to give anything anyway. Anybody else watched it??

Yeah, it was a good one. It had it all. Good racing, several magnificent passes and lots of drama. Plus, some very unexpected turns of events.

Still hate the qualy system, tho... It has to be gotten rid of A.S.A.P

i dont watch the whole race but, u know how they only allowed 1 set of tires. has n e one ran their thiers so hard it went to the felt and the air leaked out?

jasonchiu said:
i dont watch the whole race but, u know how they only allowed 1 set of tires. has n e one ran their thiers so hard it went to the felt and the air leaked out?

Not so far, but there were plenty of nearly slick tyres in Malaysia.

And Raikkonen did have a pretty scary puncture yesterday, but it was not because of the wear, it was a valve problem.

That's where real drivers and the amateurs separate. Driving with three tyres. He was pushing it to the limit over the whole lap. :thumbsup:

That Fin needs to remember that he's driving in a Formula One race, not a World Rally event. :lol:

they are simply not allowed to... I like the new rules... this really shows a great driver in conserving the engine and the tires and not just flooring it round the race at the cars limit.... btw didn't the tire on Barichello's car got so damaged that he couldn't race anymore?

The new rules are IMO great, the change was the only way to make the races interesting... You can see the results: Michael Schumacher is not in the lead. The last season was a pain in the ass, really. Who wants to look only red cars? I don't.

andyhui01 said:
they are simply not allowed to... I like the new rules... this really shows a great driver in conserving the engine and the tires and not just flooring it round the race at the cars limit.... btw didn't the tire on Barichello's car got so damaged that he couldn't race anymore?

The team said that a piece of rubber got stuck in Rubinho's rear wing and it gave the car some major oversteer, thus eating up the rear tyres. And there was no point in him finishing the race since he was out of points anyway.

I understand your point on the conservation, but it ain't that entertaining. Would we have seen Kimi's great chase to catch Klien and Schumacher if he would've needed to use the engine in the next race?

The tyre rule seems to be, shall we say, less bad than I thought, but the engine rule is still something to be got rid of. Having an engine that lasts one weekend was OK in my opinion, but two weekends... :thumbsdown:

Hazardous said:
Would we have seen Kimi's great chase to catch Klien and Schumacher if he would've needed to use the engine in the next race?

if you were talking about the malaysia Grand Prix... they don't need the engine for the next race... it is the second race ;) ...if I'm not mistaken... they get to change engines every 2 races

It much more fun this year, last year was just watshing two red cars go around the track for 1,5hour, i hope it will stay this way

andyhui01 said:
Hazardous said:
Would we have seen Kimi's great chase to catch Klien and Schumacher if he would've needed to use the engine in the next race?
if you were talking about the malaysia Grand Prix... they don't need the engine for the next race... it is the second race ;) ...if I'm not mistaken... they get to change engines every 2 races

That's my point, which you missed. My point was, would we have seen his great chase if the same engine would have been used in Bahrain. They get to change engines now(unlike from Michael Schumacher and Nick Heidfeld, since their engines were changed prior to Malaysia.

BTW, didn't they change all of Raikkonen's tires when he got to the pits with only three of them left? It would make the car really unbalanced if they just slapped one new one on to replace the one which disintegrated...

It's confusing. If they changed all of them, he would have had better tires than the rest of them and that would be unfair. Maybe that's why he was so fast compared to Klien and Schumacher? If they only replaced the blown off one, that would be unfair to Raikkonen as the car wouldn't be in balance. If there would be some way to increase one tire's pressure just before entering the pits for a normal refueling, the tires could be changed as well because one of them just happened to blow on it's own at the perfect moment. :?

On the other hand, they are not allowed to change tires and refuel at the same pit stop.

They only changed the broken one. Only the broken or dangerously worn-out tire can be changed, not the whole set. And the "new" tire has to belong to the set that has been used while practicing.

I remember one of the ITV commentators saying that they have to use a tire that has had as much or more use than the one that is being replaced.

Therefore my question is, how they measure (and thus enforce) that?

BTW I think the engine rule is a bit silly, I hope they drop it when (if?) they introduce the V8's (I hope they do that too). It's open to a bit of abuse (not that it helps if you drive a BAR) as it seems to rely on some sort of 'Gentleman's Agreement'