F1: Monaco

Driver of the day = Michael Schumacher

Absolutely fantastic drive, just proving he doesn't need cheap tricks to get results. I am now more convinced he made an innocent mistake, and he realises himself he really f**cked up. To quote him from after the race:

"" Those who opened their mouths and made their snappy comments are now certainly too chicken to come to me and talk to me one on one ""

As for Alonso, he had three rivals: MS relegated to the back of the grid, Webber retires, Kimi retires, he once again drives safely to the chequered flag.

No surprises there then.

Well an exciting race which was very unlike Monaco. You have too feel for Webber and Kimmi. And Kimmi he went straight to his boat in the harbour,
he has become so accustomed to these mechanical failures while in a strong position that he no longer shows any emotions. Oh a mechanical failure, just another normal day at the mclaren office. :lol:

One of the best races i have seen in a long time. MC absolutly destroyed everything. The fact that he came from dead last to 5th proves that his skills are real. The last two laps shows alot also. Very fast times. I was impressed.

LoneWolf said:

Absolutely fantastic drive, just proving he doesn't need cheap tricks to get results. I am now more convinced he made an innocent mistake, and he realises himself he really f**cked up. To quote him from after the race:

No one (in their sain mind) has ever questioned Schumis skills. He is a brilliant driver. That however does not mean that he wouldn't be a ruthless man willing to do whatever it takes to win...

After all one of the records he doesn't have is the number of wins in Monaco.

I am more and more convinced that he did do it on purpose... There was a mistake from his part for sure, but he could have continued and not stopped in that corner. He tried to take advantage of the situation in a totally unproper way.

LoneWolf said:

"" Those who opened their mouths and made their snappy comments are now certainly too chicken to come to me and talk to me one on one ""

As for Alonso, he had three rivals: MS relegated to the back of the grid, Webber retires, Kimi retires, he once again drives safely to the chequered flag.

No surprises there then.

couldnt agree more, definately a face rub for all those who called him out.... if he'd of won it would of been the ultimate one over all the finger pointers

kimi was driving like he was on fire though, really stirling drive.

but yeah schumacher was just on it for the whole race.

again alonso, while a very very good driver, seems to get a lot of good fortune. SC mucking up other peoples strategies, restart after the SC giving him 6 back markers cushion to 2nd place etc.

matt_shaw said:
I don't understand why M. Schumacher doesn't drive like this every race? :bangin:

coz hes smart. they all are

if they know they have a chance to leap frog someone in a pitstop, they will stay behind their opponent and do just that, its safer and avoids confrontation...ok its not great racing, but it has more chance of securing points.

otispunkmeyer said:
if they know they have a chance to leap frog someone in a pitstop, they will stay behind their opponent and do just that, its safer and avoids confrontation...ok its not great racing, but it has more chance of securing points.

And thats THE BIGGEST reason why I dislike modern F1. I absolute HATE it that drivers wont even try to pass but will rather hope that the pit strategy will take them to the win.

mmap said:
otispunkmeyer said:

And thats THE BIGGEST reason why I dislike modern F1. I absolute HATE it that drivers wont even try to pass but will rather hope that the pit strategy will take them to the win.

sad i know

which is why i like the mclaren drivers, some times they just get into a zone and start racing without demons

its why i like sato, he was brave enough to have ago no matter who it was, i remember last monaco, he got a wicked start and actually barged shumacher clean out of his lol...it was great.

for me though WRC and BTCC are better to watch sometimes

mmap said:
No one (in their sain mind) has ever questioned Schumis skills. He is a brilliant driver. That however does not mean that he wouldn't be a ruthless man willing to do whatever it takes to win...

After all one of the records he doesn't have is the number of wins in Monaco.

I am more and more convinced that he did do it on purpose... There was a mistake from his part for sure, but he could have continued and not stopped in that corner. He tried to take advantage of the situation in a totally unproper way.

The fact is those drivers who accompany Schumacher on the list of greatest drivers of all time are just as guilty of being ruthless and hungry for success, and it's no surprise since it's almost a pre-requisite, especially in this sport. Biggest example is Senna, he wouldn't have hesitated in being underhanded or even dangerous with any of his rivals, and though I respect him as a great driver, I do believe that if he hadn't died he would one day have ended up running Schumacher of the road. That would have been one heck on an irony! :lol:

Typical MS bullsh*t. I hope Alonso wins the title. Poor Kimi, I really think Ron Dennis's laid back attitude is killing Mclaren. If Ferrari or Renault had these DNF's both Todt and Flavio would explode.
I think Kimi has the highest DNF at Mclaren than any other car/driver combination in F1 since 2002. :x

I ended up watching the rest of the race even though I was disgusted with what happened with Webber...and I'm not just talking about the car blowing up.

I feel for Kimi aswell :comfort:

But hey! At least F1's are getting exciting :)

LoneWolf said:

It was a good drive, no doubt, but the single stop strategy helped quite a bit in my opinion. If he was on a two stop strategy like the rest of the front runners, I would think he would not have made it as far up the points as he did. And in one portion of the race, he was lapped by Alonso but Fred decided to let him and Fisi go by to get back on the lead lap.

PurgeTV said:
It was a good drive, no doubt, but the single stop strategy helped quite a bit in my opinion. If he was on a two stop strategy like the rest of the front runners, I would think he would not have made it as far up the points as he did. And in one portion of the race, he was lapped by Alonso but Fred decided to let him and Fisi go by to get back on the lead lap.

Considering Michael was sent to the back of the grid, it would have been stupid of Ferrari to put him on a two stop strategy, considering all the problems in Monaco of traffic and lack of overtaking.

Even if Alonso didn't let him pass I do think MS would have had a go at to get past Alonso, Michael was driving for points but he was also driving to try to redeem himself for what happened Saturday, and in my eyes and of those that aren't biased against him, he did partially redeem himself.

BTW who's your driver of the day?

LoneWolf said:
PurgeTV said:

Considering Michael was sent to the back of the grid, it would have been stupid of Ferrari to put him on a two stop strategy, considering all the problems in Monaco of traffic and lack of overtaking.

Even if Alonso didn't let him pass I do think MS would have had a go at to get past Alonso, Michael was driving for points but he was also driving to try to redeem himself for what happened Saturday, and in my eyes and of those that aren't biased against him, he did partially redeem himself.

BTW who's your driver of the day?

There's no doubt that Schumacher is a great driver but it's like Barry Bonds... where do you draw the line between greatness and cheating? Although Senna was a phenomenal driver, that incident at Suzuka years back against Prost definitely left an asterisk in my mind. And of course a single stop strategy was the one to take but that did leave him out on the course longer and without an additional time loss for a stop.

As far as the weekend's race is concerned, I think Fisi did a good job being able to pass 4 cars during his race. I wouldn't say the McLarens or Williams cars had particularly spectacular performances. Monaco is less dependent on true overall performance but more on pure mechanical grip over aero grip than anything else. On a more open, faster circuit like Silverstone, Monza and Catalunya, you obviously see the more balanced cars at the front.

With that being said, Mark Webber and Raikkonen do deserve better cars. I'm personally a fan of Mark Webber because he's so down right professional and great during interviews. BTW, Coulthard looked like an idiot with the cape during the trophy presentation. The only reason the Red Bull driver ended up on the podium is due to attrition.

I'll admit Fisi's overtaking was good, but the guy simply falls asleep sometimes during the race. renault really have to give him a good kick up the backside, either over the radio or remind him he may not be driving for them next year. Or of course, the prospect of Alonso lapping does improve his lap times as well as overtaking ability! ;)

As for RBR, average car at best with a lot of luck, it's a team that party's for the sake of partying, and I don't think they realise the effort and hard work required to be succesful in F1. I don't think they'll be around for many years.

After last year, Webber has definitely raised his game, personally I don't think he is a future world champion, but certainly a race winner. I rate him more highly then drivers like Button or Montoya.

There's a difference between Schumacher and Senna. Senna was always upfront about his "dirty" tactics. He made no excuses and publicised exactly what was on his mind. On the other hand, Schumacher lies and makes excuses for his actions.

Senna explained in full detail about that turn one incident at Suzuka. It's also documented by the FIA to be true. Senna was on pole position but he noticed that the grid location for P1 was on the wrong/dirty side of the track. He went to the stewards to have that fixed. They refused so Senna proclaimed that he would not yield to anybody if they came in his way at turn one. And so the incident happened. He said he'll do it and he did.

If you watched the post-qualifying interview, you can see Schumacher studdering and appearing a bit nervous. It's extremely unusualy for somebody of that stature speak in such manner. :thumbsdown: for Schumi for this incident. You should have seen Alonso's face during that interview! He looked very disappointed, not at himself, but at Schumacher.

I can't blame him for trying to push the limits of the sporting rules. However he asked for controversy and he got it! Same went for BAR last year with their secondary fuel tank!

The red bull team are great, they just seem to enjoy f1, keeping it the spectacle it should be. Ok, most of it is sponser driven but it looks good! Coulthard drove a solid monaco race, ok, lucky that so many breakdowns occoured but he did well to keep the times up and stay up there.

But hey! At least F1's are getting exciting

Definately, most exciting it has been in years. Does anybody think this has anything to do with the aerodynamic changes? I've noticed there has been a lot more passing this year, and that's my guess as to why this is so.

I'm gutted for Webber as well, would love to see him in a new team where he could get the most out of his ability (especially renault considering his briatore connection and alonso's upcoming move), however what's the go with his william's contract? i keep reading that it's up this year, but then i also heard that williams have an option to extend it that they can use? is this true?

I felt sorry for Webber. Normally I don't give a hoot but this time he hung around pretty good and deserved the podium. Being fan of Kimi's I hated to see him getting shafted by McLaren ... yet again ... although, can't say I'm surprised. Pretty much all the time he was following Alonzo pretty close and the engine was probably going "Air! Air! I can't f***ing breathe!!!" :lol: I was surprised how few crashes there were and was bracing for that first corner. That was a bit disappointing I must say :lol: though I'm always on the edge of my seat watching Monaco. This is a true and only real driver skill test track.

The only reason the Red Bull driver ended up on the podium is due to attrition.
That is true, but then "survival" is as much a part of Monaco race as racing itself. I'm sure that's not how the drivers like to win, but it is a legitimate win in my book.