F1: San Marino

Schumacher is actually controlling a slide when he is modulating the throttle and brake through a corner. The throttle will increase the angle of the slide while the brakes bring the car back into line. The concept is exactly the same as in rally driving except that the slide angle of F1 cars is much smaller--almost to the point where our amature eyes don't notice.

Schumacher is famous for being able to keep a car at its limits through the entire corner. He also boasts of this talent in many interviews. It makes sense that he may be sliding the car at the verge of a spin on slower corners. On fast corners, aerodynamics don't allow any kind of slide.

Ayrton Senna was also famous for his "Senna foot" technique. He would pulsate the throttle pedal so rapidly that it appeared like a vibrating foot. Nobody really knows what it actually does but it obviously worked well for him! Some say it was to keep the rear tyres spinning to prevent turbo lag accelerating out of a corner. Some say he was modulating the throttle to control sliding.

never heard of 'senna foot', that's an interesting bit of trivia. makes sense as well, especially back in the days of turbos. you'd think someone would use that same technique on the brakes to aid the ABS.

being a renault fan, i am quite frightened with ferrari's performance :lol: especially with fisi on 10th. i only hope they've a pretty good strategy for tomorrow!

fbc said:
Congrats to Michael for getting the pole record - though it's a little hard to compare the pole achievements of he & Senna due to the radically different qualifying systems now in place.

It's not only that. Ayrton only had 164 tries, while Michael has 235 to date.

But it's indeed very hard to compare the two, and impossible to say which is better.

It will be intereting to see how the strategies shape up. In Imola extra fuel in the tank costs relatively lot of time, and the pit lane is short and doesn't include any slow corners. Even if Ferrari are on a three-stopper with short first stint they look very strong indeed, and I won't be at all surprised to see Schuey flying away from the rest of the pack.

It's impressive to see Rubens so high up the grid considering his problems earlier this season. Looks like they have found a way to set the car up for him as well. The problem with Hondas, though, is that they will propably be slow again from the start, and this could give Schumi a big early lead before they get up to speed. And it's hard to pass in Imola, although the GP2 fellas tried to prove otherwise...

If I was in imola, I would slap the honda mechanics - THREE times they screwed up today - it's just fuckin ridiculous.

I don't think button can win in a honda - he can drive the arse off it in qualifying, but come race day, it's just shit.

lol...yeah, I agree. It's just one thing after another for him, despite doing well in qualifying.

It was an interesting race. That crash on the 1st lap was crazy.

Blythy said:
If I was in imola, I would slap the honda mechanics - THREE times they screwed up today - it's just fuckin ridiculous.

Yes, but Button has to take a little of the blame for leaving the pit bay after the lollipop was put back down.

well like he said in the post-race interview - those cars do 0-60 in less than 2 seconds, it's hard to slow it down once you've commited yourself.

^ True - but other drivers have managed to stop in the same circumstances - he just didn't seem to react to it. I'm not saying it's his fault, the lollipop shouldn't have gone up in the first place, but he has to take some of the blame.

he almost got his head sliced clean with that lollipop :lol: ferrari wasn't quick as i expected them to be. this just may be another one-off for them. just like last year's imola.

What is everyone's opinion on the Super Aguri team?
I have watched a couple races this year and they don't seem to be in the same league as the other drivers/teams.

It seems each race I've seen one of the two drivers either makes a mistake that takes out another driver or casues them to take evasive action. There was even a couple times where the presenters were yelling "get out of the way" while they were holding up faster cars.

I was especially dissapointed to see Christian Albers get punted off the track by Ide. :wall:

How did this team even qualify to be in the F1 series???

they got money to put up, that's how! the question is, how is ide able to get an f1 superlicense? i think FIA is a bit less strict now on who gets them. one notable driver who they thought didn't deserve one at the beginning turned out to be a super star (kimi raikkonen)

i think ide is getting the boot soon anyway. to be replaced with another japanese driver who sucks just as hard as he does i bet. it's funny how a country whose chief export is the automobile can't manage to come up with good f1 drivers!

Ide just seems like he's in over his head.
I forget what race it was but I think he spun the car out 3 times in a single lap...actually I think it was during qualifying.

I just hope he doesn't cause a death in F1, his or someone else's. :(

Kebab gud said:
lets not flame Ide... its his first year and his car i slower then the rest.. give him a brake..
lets se if he is any better later on in the year when they get a new car

It's not really about the car being crap either. It's more down to the fact that he has effectively not driven the car outside GP weekends. He was supposed to have a test last week prior to San Marino, but technical problems meant that only Sato actually got to drive the car. Combine that with the facts that the car seems to be a real handful anyway and all the tracks are new to him, it's not surprising at all that he is struggling.

It's not Ide's fault, but I would hope that he would get more miles under his belt. At present he's not doing anyone any good being on the track, apart from SA:s sponsors.

CBs coverage sucks!! :x

i watched CBS' pre-race coverage and tuned off the moment the race started because i was pretty sure they'd drop the ball on that. i downloaded a torrent of ITV's race coverage instead.

anyway, who was that guy with the accent along with the american? from what i've gathered from listening to their commentary for bout 15mins, i've kind of thought he said he was keke rosberg's teammate from the 80's or something.

Hazardous said:
<snip>

It's not Ide's fault, but I would hope that he would get more miles under his belt. At present he's not doing anyone any good being on the track, apart from SA:s sponsors.

Thanks Hazardous...I guess that's closer to my point.
Ide is probably a great driver considering he is even in F1 but when you compare him to the other F1 drivers....he just appears to be really struggling to control the car and making a lot of mistakes.
Mistakes that I really don't see other drivers making....at least not as often or blatent. I truly do hope he improves throughout the season for his sake and the other drivers.

Kebab qud said:
ohh and if you watch the fotage from the race you can se that Ide didnt crash into Klien.. Klien crashed into Ide..
(Ide had the inside track.. )

I don't remember Klien's involvement? I'll have to watch it again once I get it downloaded but it appeared to me to totally be Ide's fault. Ide had the inside line but was well behind Albers going into the corner. If they were side-by-side that would be different but Albers never even knew what hit him. Ide should have braked and let Albers have the corner. In my opinion it was just bad judgement on Ide's part especially since it was only the first lap. Why take that kind of chance so early in the race if your not one of the front runners?

Sirocco said:
Kebab qud said:
ohh and if you watch the fotage from the race you can se that Ide didnt crash into Klien.. Klien crashed into Ide..
(Ide had the inside track.. )

I don't remember Klien's involvement? I'll have to watch it again once I get it downloaded but it appeared to me to totally be Ide's fault. Ide had the inside line but was well behind Albers going into the corner. If they were side-by-side that would be different but Albers never even knew what hit him. Ide should have braked and let Albers have the corner. In my opinion it was just bad judgement on Ide's part especially since it was only the first lap. Why take that kind of chance so early in the race if your not one of the front runners?

My thoughts exactly - though my guess is Kebab qud has Klien and Albers confused.