F1: Spain

MercedesAMG

this weekend is the GP in spain at the circuit de catalunya... practice showed that the renaults and the ferrari's are going to be pretty strong with the mclarens showing some pretty slow times...

i'm curious about everyones predictions for the race, and some uptake on why you all think the mclarens are just not performing this year

As much I'd like to see Micheal make it a hatrick, I don't think he'll be able to. The Bridgestones will probably let Ferrari down, so I think a podium will be a good result. I think the Renault's will be hard to beat.

Re: F1: Spain

MercedesAMG said:
...and some uptake on why you all think the mclarens are just not performing this year

Adrian Newey (sp?), or lack there of...

massa did post a 1:15.796 on the first practice session! that's just a few tenths off the track record! :shock: a lot of that credit probably goes to that new super soft rubber compound bridgestone developed for ferrari.

montoya will probably get some sort of penalty for ripping his rear view mirror off and throwing it on the track :lol:

ferrari will most probably make podium on sunday. it's also a safe bet alonso will be on it as well (as he has done so in the last 10-11 consecutive races)

Preety boring race. Alonso just ran the perfect race. And renault seemed to have a better car, but the performance of ferrari was close. I was suprised that Schumi could not close the gap during the second pitstops. He was about 10-12s behind when alonso pitted and after that he could not close the gap in the 5 laps he ran longer, unlike in Nurburgring. I want to see more of Imola, close stuff between alonso and schumi.

SLR said:
Preety boring race...

It was mind numbingly booring, I actually started channel surfing during the race.

Next race isn't actually going to be eventfull either as no one passes anyone at Monaco... Ever!

There was plenty of action in the first few races and as soon as the european races started it has been just dull. Why have tracks where overtaking is pratically impossible. It isn't exactly racing when everyone drives around in a big que and the only, even remote, chance of overtaking is in the pits and with strategy. I don't want to see that. Eliminate the bloody pit stops all together if you are going to race on tracks like this so taht the drivers would HAVE to overtake if they wanted to succeed!!!!

Boring, but you can't not be looking forward to Monaco, that race is f1! No overtaking but you can garuntee a saftey car or two.

The coverage here in the States was WACKED. CBS' crew has no idea what they are talking about. They said BMW dropped a couple of engines at the factory, leading to engine changes. Uh, NO. They have no freakin clue. Speed offers much better coverage, ITV offering even better. Consider yourselves lucky to live on the Continent as far as F1 coverage is concerned. :lol:

Well done by Renault and Alonso.

Fisch., Montoya, and Ralf should not be driving in F1 next year.

Too bad for Kimi as Mclaren again are not competitive :(
Honestly, for Mclaren's budget they should be competitive every year. :x

MercedesAMG said:
very boring race.. and montoya needs to go

He must really have motivation problems as Alonso has already signed and Mclaren has openly admitted wanting Kimi... Really doesn't leave a lot of room for poor old Juan.

Not that his driving in this season would warrant him a spot on a top team anyway.

i doubt kimi will go to mclaren and i think ron dennis agrees with me... but regardless, montoya still wont be part of the team next year, he just isnt consistent enough

Kimi Raikkonen's move from McLaren Mercedes to Ferrari could be formalised as soon as the next stop on the calendar - Monaco.

After Michael Schumacher announced that he can leave it until the end of the season to make his own decision, Ron Dennis added more fuel to the speculative fire by revealing that McLaren's plans for 2007 had now been settled.

The full McLaren Mercedes line-up, with Fernando Alonso in one seat, would be known in 'two or three weeks', Dennis revealed in the Spanish paddock.

Former triple world champion Niki Lauda agreed with F1 gossip that Ferrari almost certainly already has at least one top driver - Raikkonen - ready to race.

He told Express: ?It is inconceivable that a team like Ferrari risks arriving at the end of the year without a top driver under contract. The only potential replacement for 'Schumi' is Raikkonen.?

how boring.

how boring.

so so boring. does anyone pass anymore...
monaco is going to be another parade.

wats even worse are the american commentators from cbs.

"scott speed is having a GREAT race"
actually hes down in 13-15th with a restricted v10.

SLR said:
I was suprised that Schumi could not close the gap during the second pitstops.

my guess would be he had his engine dialed back a bit in the final 10 or so laps to preserve it for the next race. meanwhile, it was all or nothing for alonso!

i've to agree. it was a boring race even though i am an alonso/renault fan! i think the only real overtaking that took place was in turn one after the start.

i think it was mark blundell who said that alonso should be worried that the car he's driving next season finished 56 seconds behind him :lol: and i agree!

POWERRR!! said:
SLR said:
I was suprised that Schumi could not close the gap during the second pitstops.

my guess would be he had his engine dialed back a bit in the final 10 or so laps to preserve it for the next race. meanwhile, it was all or nothing for alonso!

new engines for monaco

Yeah, very boring race, and to think this was the first time I recorded it on my new digital USB reciever, when I was playing it back I was struggling to stay awake! What a waste of 3 Gigs!

Am I the only person who thinks Alonso has the potential to be an even more boring champion then Schumacher? And he also has a potentially bigger ego?

LoneWolf said:
Am I the only person who thinks Alonso has the potential to be an even more boring champion then Schumacher? And he also has a potentially bigger ego?

No, it's not just you - but being boring is a problem with a lot of F1 drivers - Raikkonen is hardly Mr. Excitement. Part of the problem is they're spokesmens for large organisation and big sponsors, so they can be restricted in how they behave and what they say. There's not many of them that actually speak their mind, which is so disappointing.