[F1] Wurz takes Webber's position at Williams

SL65

Ambitious but rubbish!
Car(s)
1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5L
F1.com said:
Williams have announced their race line-up for next season, with third driver Alexander Wurz stepping up to replace Mark Webber as Nico Rosberg?s team mate.

It will be Wurz?s first full campaign as a Formula One race driver since 2000, his last of three seasons with Benetton. He subsequently spent four years as a McLaren tester before joining Williams at the start of 2005.

?My natural habitat is racing, so I couldn?t be happier to have received Williams? vote of confidence for this job next season,? said the Austrian. ?Of course I know the team well having been a part of the race programme at every Grand Prix this season, but now my role takes on additional responsibility and I am really looking forward to this.?

Commenting on the new line-up, team boss Frank Williams said: ?Alex brings us important technical continuity and understanding of the car and as well as being an excellent communicator with our engineers, he is ultra-competitive during the Friday ?full tank? practice sessions. Alex will be a great racing driver for us as he is one of the few men I have seen in a wheel banging confrontation with Michael Schumacher and come out on top!

?Retaining Nico for next year was not a tough decision. He has shown great promise so far in his debut season and I know he will build on this with every race. As much as taking great pleasure in confirming Alex and Nico for next season, I must also commend Mark Webber for his contribution to the team over the past two seasons as he has been a credit to himself and Williams and has never let up in his pursuit of competitive success. I know Mark will give his all until the end of the season and we wish him well in his future arrangements.?

Webber has yet to make any official comment on his future plans.
Source

So any ideas where Webber could go next year?

The majority seems to think Renault, but my money is on McLaren.

Kimi - Ferrari
Kov - Renault
Web - McLaren
Massa - Ferrari tester for a year then take the second Ferrari seat once more

So goes my theory :p

Webber's father expects announcement next week
03 August 2006

On Wednesday the WilliamsF1 team announced that it will be racing with Nico Rosberg and Alexander Wurz in 2007. Mark Webber's contract was not extended and thus the Australian needs to look for a new team. His father expects an announcement about his future as early as next week.
Click here

Alan Webber is not only Mark's father but is also involved in his management. Speaking to AFP he said: "We have another offer, an attractive offer on the table and that will probably be announced possibly next week to the media overseas."

"There were a couple of other teams there in the frame as well, so I am not at liberty to say who it will be with. But rest assured that Mark will be in Formula One driving again next year, but at this stage it's not for me to say who it will be with."

Source

We might not have to wait to long to find out, apparently Kimi may also make an announcement in the next week or so about his future.

There is also this:

In an interview with ITV-F1.com before the French GP, Webber was asked if he would turn down an offer from Renault, to which he replied: ?I would be crazy wouldn?t I?

?They are the strongest team in Formula 1 at the moment along with Ferrari. They are very, very strong.

?But Frank [Williams] has got an option on me, so it?s up to him if he wants me to drive next year,? he added.

?If he doesn?t, then we?ve got to look at what?s best for me in the future.?

Source:iTV

^^ Well there's a big headline in todays paper here that Kimi has a five year deal with Ferrari worth 160million euros...

Haven't read the story so dunno the specifics of the story (knowing the headline policy of the particular paper it is most likely 99% romour though)

I'm expecting Kimi to Ferrari, Webber to Renault or McLaren dependant on whether Renault promote Kovaleinen. Williams not taking up their option on Webber (or perhaps more likely, not being able to afford to take up the option) could be a great thing for Mark.

I said back in February that Mark Webber would drive for Renault next year. I still stand by my prediction.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17276.html

An interesting article on Mark's future. I think all will be revealed the week after the Hungarian GP.

From a differnet article, I found this a little amusing.

Mark Webber, 29, was asked on Thursday whether his team next year begins with the letters 'RE'.

''Clever,'' he laughed. ''That's two teams, isn't it?''

For Aussies:

RPMLive.tv said:
Latest News: Mark Webber

During the week the announcement was made that Mark Webber will not be driving for the Williams F1 Team in 2007. This Sunday, on location at the Hungarian Grand Prix, Peter Windsor presents an exclusive interview with Webber and asks the big questions that have the whole F1 paddock abuzz.

Should be interesting to watch. I'm so pumped if Webber gets a drive with Renault!! :D

Should be a good interview, but I doubt we'll get an actual answer from Mark.

Webber + Renault/McLaren = good things... better things if the equation ends up being with Renault!

Devon said:
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17276.html

An interesting article on Mark's future. I think all will be revealed the week after the Hungarian GP.

From a differnet article, I found this a little amusing.

Mark Webber, 29, was asked on Thursday whether his team next year begins with the letters 'RE'.

''Clever,'' he laughed. ''That's two teams, isn't it?''

interesting article that, and it makes some very good points. but it's wrong. webber's career is not going to advance if he goes to red bull and he's smart enough to know that. It will be either Renault or McLaren but as the article points out, it would be reasonably unlikely for Flavio to let one of his drivers go to McLaren. Renault makes the most sense, and while i agree that driver swaps in Formula one rarely make a great deal of sense, Webber has always had a very down to earth approach to things. He used to test drive for Benetton back in the Button/Fisichella wide angle V10 backmarking days and could out-lap fisi by 1-2 seconds a lap on tyres that fisi had already shagged the shit out of. The reason he didn't drive for them then was because he couldn't bring enough coin to the table to secure a full time drive. But now he's had his break, he has proved himself and he has experience under his belt, the scene has changed. I think flav would be very happy to see Mark in the blue and yellow cars rather than Kovalainen. Renault will want to blood him first in one of the more lowly teams for at least a season before they consider throwing them in one of thier cars. They're coming off possibly 2 drivers championships and a constructors championship, they won't want to throw that to a rookie.

Theres the chance Webber might go to Red Bull as we all might know. It hasn't been a great team but next year looks good for Red Bull with strong resources behind them.

see that smirk and the glint in his eye when he said that he'd like to tell the aussies something but just couldn't? he's either got a deal signed or close to with one of the big ones. sure of it. that commentator guy stating that timing will be the critical factor i think is bang on if he turns out to be right and flav is still working on kimi. it would make a lot of sense as to why mark won't/can't announce anything right now.

i just hope to god it does work out quickly for mark's sake, Red Bull will not be good for his career, if he wants success, he needs to be in a Renault, a McLaren or even a Ferrari which may even still hold a small piece of the puzzle.

flyingfridge said:
i just hope to god it does work out quickly for mark's sake, Red Bull will not be good for his career, if he wants success, he needs to be in a Renault, a McLaren or even a Ferrari which may even still hold a small piece of the puzzle.
Agreed.

That interviewer seemed pretty certain it was Red Bull. RBR won't do it for him, he needs a Renault IMO.

Anyway - I hope for the rest of the year, he can concerntrate on trying to get his first win. Hopefully that car doesn't kill itself too many times....

^ Don't be too quick to knock Red Bull - remember next year's car will be an Adrian Newey design, that plus either Renault or Ferrari engines could make it a very quick race car.

It's all sorted anyway it seems, just need to wait for the announcement. I reckon Red Bull is a better bet than Williams right now, of course Renault or McLaren would be even better...

Reding Flavio's comments I'm fairly sure Mark has a 99% done deal. With who, I'm not sure on. Yesterday morning it was Mclaren that was considered "certain", now it's Red Bull. I wouldn't put my money on either, but I hope it will be Mclaren.

With luck Red Bull will be very strong indeed next year. They already have a good, experienced car builder in Coulthard, they have Adrian Newey who has a history of making brilliant cars and Renault engines are also something to look forward to. However, it would not be the first time that all the ingredients are right but the result is terrible...

Falvio's comment being that when asked whether he was considering Webber for the second seat, he said that Webber is not available...

fbc said:
^ Don't be too quick to knock Red Bull - remember next year's car will be an Adrian Newey design, that plus either Renault or Ferrari engines could make it a very quick race car.

You must also remember that it would be very embarressing for Renault or Ferrari (who ever supplies the engines) if Red Bull start beating them on the track ! also what type of agreement they they have? will they supply the engines as part of a sponsor deal? or will Red Bull buy them? either way they won't give them the best parts, they will go to the factory teams first.

So on that, Red Bull will be a step back next year if he moves there.
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=36895 << read the last paragragh, I think (and really really hope ) he ends up in a top team and I think that top team will be Renault.