F350 Mileage landmak

JipJopJones

Car(s)
1979 Cressida Wagon, 1981 Corolla Hardtop
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2011/05/retired-ford-f-350-owner-reaches-mileage-landmark.html?

After losing around 70 percent of his ?fun money? savings, former Ford Employee Gary Mueller found a unique way to enjoy his retirement, delivering large recreational camper trailers to their owners across North America.

Mueller bought himself a brand new 2002 Ford F-350 Super Duty and has been performing the task ever since. Today he?s been to all lower 48 states and seven Canadian Provinces, racking up a total of 1,020,000 miles in his truck. Equipped with the 7.3-liter Powerstroke Diesel, Mueller averages between 600 to 800 miles per day of driving, with the trailers weighing 11,000 lbs or more.

People started telling Mueller that once his truck reached the 300,000 mile mark he should consider replacing it, but more than 700,000 miles later, it?s still running strong. To help conserve fuel he drives steadily, avoiding false starts and stops wherever possible and keeping the revs below 2000 rpm on the open road, usually cruising at speeds between 60 and 62 mph. ?I will see the same people pass me two or three times a day,? he says. ?They?re going 70 or 80 mph, and have to keep stopping for fuel.?

Apart from regular oil changes and maintenance, including 10 sets of tires, Mueller has done virtually nothing to his truck and as long as it remains economically viable, he?ll keep on hauling campers with his ?02 Super Duty. ?I don?t think I could be happier with a truck,? he says.

MillionMileSuperDuty1-1024x826.jpg

Pretty impressive if you ask me. Especially considering he's done it in under 10 years.

Bitchin!

wasn't there a thread a while back where some n00b was arguing with me that American trucks don't last very long? IN YOUR FACE!

Probably. That seems to happen a lot around here.

I remember when I first heard about this a while back. His maintenance bills were astronomical. :lol:

After losing around 70 percent of his ?fun money? savings, former Ford Employee Gary Mueller found a unique way to enjoy his retirement, delivering large recreational camper trailers to their owners across North America.

Mueller bought himself a brand new 2002 Ford F-350 Super Duty and has been performing the task ever since. Today he?s been to all lower 48 states and seven Canadian Provinces, racking up a total of 1,020,000 miles in his truck. Equipped with the 7.3-liter Powerstroke Diesel, Mueller averages between 600 to 800 miles per day of driving, with the trailers weighing 11,000 lbs or more.

People started telling Mueller that once his truck reached the 300,000 mile mark he should consider replacing it, but more than 700,000 miles later, it?s still running strong. To help conserve fuel he drives steadily, avoiding false starts and stops wherever possible and keeping the revs below 2000 rpm on the open road, usually cruising at speeds between 60 and 62 mph. ?I will see the same people pass me two or three times a day,? he says. ?They?re going 70 or 80 mph, and have to keep stopping for fuel.?

Apart from regular oil changes and maintenance, including 10 sets of tires, Mueller has done virtually nothing to his truck and as long as it remains economically viable, he?ll keep on hauling campers with his ?02 Super Duty. ?I don?t think I could be happier with a truck,? he says.

the 2 bold parts tie together, i know his point about passing people 2-3 times a day even though they are going 70-80 but damn, i just dont think i could do 60 mph for 600 miles per day. I mean i guess you get used to it but i like cruising with the flow of traffic. anyways, this guy is what its all about. excellent

600-800 miles a day? He's basically doing the Gumball constantly. I know there was that Volvo with over 3 million miles on it, but it's particularly impressive that this is towing loads. My neighbour's BMW X3's shat its entire drivetrain on the road at 40,000 miles from towing caravans.

Last edited:
they are completely different achievements. You cant really compare 2.6 million miles in a car to 1 million miles while hauling 11,000lbs

True. But both are equally impressive. 11,000lbs is a lot, but so is 55 years on public roads.

And let Volvo win?? Screw that, give the man free maintenance, gas, and tires for the life of the truck! :p

I think you're a secret European (you're a peein?), and that you want the Volvo to win!

You misspelled the title. It's "landmaaahk"; at least around here it is.

Truck Yeah!

I can't believe it took 20 posts before someone said that, bunch a secret European communists the lotaya.....:p