Fake email from youtube?

Homer_Bart

Car(s)
2007 BMW 320i
Hi guys!

Today I received an email from youtube, thinking it was a real one I clicked the link because the accompanying text from the email didn't make proper sense, what does "Your video on the TOP of YouTube" actually mean?

Thinking about it I immediately closed that tab probably half a second after opening it. I moused-over and EVERY single link from the supposed video link to the help center and report spam links all directed to this single site duytanhue.edu.vn/villainous.html

fake.jpg

Site is Vietnamese but I dare not enter the main duytanhue.edu.vn main site. What should I do regarding this? Report to youtube?

Thanks!

Nothing except delete/mark as junk. YouTube has nothing to do with it, and there is nothing they can do. You just need to be aware of what you click and what you don't click.

Similar fauxbook mails exist as well.

Ah, thanks! Will keep a lookout!

Just a standard phishing/spam e-mail. Nothing uncommon about it.

Surprised Yahoo's spam filters didn't catch it. Yet another reason to switch to GMail. :)

Surprised Yahoo's spam filters didn't catch it. Yet another reason to switch to GMail. :)

Yahoo has been catching my "Better Business Bureau Complaint" messages that my girlfriend's Gmail lets through. :)

The actual URLs are hilarious. "Dizzybearcakes.com" was my last one. :p

Last edited:
Ah, never really encountered this before, I usually just use my email for this forum, a few newsletters, and FB, and I don't check my spam box. Thanks for the input guys! :)

For the last unanswered question: regarding "Your video on the TOP of YouTube," I think they're just emphasizing the word "top" i.e. they're claiming to be able to put your video at the top of the main page.

It's just a redirect to a place selling pills. Having clicked the link is nothing to worry about.

The main site seems to be some sort of technical school or something? I don't know, but their website is clearly not finished, so I imagine an attacker found a way to slip that page in.