Ferrari 355 Burned Down for the Sake of Art

A perfectly good Ferrari destroyed for the sake of Art, why couldn't have they have gone with someone more common and less crappy.

..or use a car that was in an accidental fire, we all know there are plenty to choose from

When you consider the amount of true artistic skill and talent that went into creating the Ferrari 355, it's even funnier imo. He took a true work of art and set it on fire and proclaims himself an artist. I suppose if I stole the Mona Lisa and set it on fire, I can be an arsonist artist too.

?It was meant to signify sacrifice? he told Forbes? Hannah Elliott who interviewed him. ?Ancient Greeks used to sacrifice to Venus in birch forests, so it?s like a temple. And the car was my prized possession, something I?ve always wanted. So I sacrificed it, because I'm an idiot.?

Fixed his quote a bit.

This week on Hipsters With Too Much Money!

I can't say I am particularly bothered, its not a rare car, and with the badge it wears they will survive in large numbers anyway. Still a waste of a perfectly good car though, which is a shame. Also I'm afraid this guy has been beaten to it. Kids on council estates have been making burnt car art for over 40 years. :p
Besides IMO real art requires a degree of skill and effort, torching you expensive possessions takes neither and doesn't make you an artist...

I'm more irritated by the guy who has a wood full of old cars he collects and has no plan to do anything with them apart from watch them rust himself. He did an interview with a magazine I read last year and said how he bought a 48' Buick from the US that had just been fully restored but the owner was going to university or something and sold it and now its just rotting away. :(

His been-on-fire but still on the road Rolls Royce is awesome however. :lol:

I want to see pictures of the installation before giving judgement. It could look really snazzy.

Actually, it looks quite good, when you look at the whole setting of the art piece. His own website (http://www.anthonyjamesstudio.com) says the set is from 2008, though, not sure why the car blogs picked it up only now.

ScreenShot2011-09-09at114941.png

ScreenShot2011-09-09at114710.png

ScreenShot2011-09-09at114700.png

ScreenShot2011-09-09at114647.png

ScreenShot2011-09-09at114737.png

Oh wow, that is amazing. I get it, I totally get what he is doing.

?It was meant to signify sacrifice? he told Forbes? Hannah Elliott who interviewed him. ?Ancient Greeks used to sacrifice to Venus in birch forests, so it?s like a temple. And the car was my prized possession, something I?ve always wanted. So I sacrificed it.?

This guy has just been smoking too much weed.

I don't get art. This is almost as bad as the guy who's letting an entire collection of Corvettes just rot because "he might do something with them someday for ART." I hate when people do stupid things for "art".

QFT

This is why I don't get art and never will. Why is this considered art? This is pure vandalism.

QFT

This is why I don't get art and never will. Why is this considered art? This is pure vandalism.

Well, my point is it seems extremely silly. It's like that guy who ripped a urinal off and hung it up and called it art. The rotting VH-1 Corvettes is terrible because the guy isn't even doing anything with them, but claims that some day he will art...

But they say the point of art is to make you react to it, or discuss it in some way, even if it means offending (though these days it seems offending as many people as possible is the point of most non-traditional art). In that aspect, it's worked.

Oh wow, that is amazing. I get it, I totally get what he is doing.
Agreed. That looks cool, particularly the first shot of it.

Looking at it, it seems that it was crashed before it was torched... Maybe it was an insurance write-off?

Still, it was a 355 Spyder, not a proper 355 Berlinetta...

..or use a car that was in an accidental fire, we all know there are plenty to choose from

Exactly, that makes it ever the more stupid what he did!

This guy has just been smoking too much weed.

I think this is more of an alocohol induced problem.

QFT

You have room to talk?

And art is beyond your grasp anyway, just stick to your reposts and QFT.

To me, using a car as art can be done right.

Like this for example:

mercedes_world_18.jpg

This took a lot of skill and thought, and wasn't just the result of setting fire to something and saying:

"OH SHI..!! I can explain! Really! I didn't mean to..um...er.. Um, wait a sec.. *puts sign on it* Hey! It's 'art!' Yeah, art. I ah, I did that on purpose."