Ferrari Leave Formula 1

1. Will FIA sue Ferrari for breaking the agreement to participate in F1 up untill 2012, if they do, who's going to win?
They will sue, and the court will be in favour of the reds.

2. Which of the current FOTA teams, who DID NOT sign a $50 million bond not to apply to F1 (Brawn, Red Bull, Toro Rosso), you suspect will stay in F1?
None of them, maybe Brawn.

3. What would be the name and the basic rulebook of the breakaway series?
GP1 sounds good. Basic Rulebook won't be drastically different to how it was before 09.

4. Can FOTA make the camera-people not show Anthony Hamilton anymore?
No.

5. Will there be a new lower tier racing series, as GP2 and F2 are to F1?
In time.

6. Which "Abandoned by F1" racing circuits will return to Breakaway Series calendar?
Montreal, (soon to be abandoned) Silverstone, Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, maybe renovate Anderstorp

7. Of all the 16 current FOTA drivers, who will seek employment in the 2010 F1?
Anyone who's out of a job. The new teams will be looking for experience.

8. With 8/10 teams gone from F1 next year, what will be the drop "%" in TV ratings and Grand Prix attendance figures next year?
Definite.

EDIT: I just realised I didn't read the question. 60%.

Last edited:
1. Will FIA sue Ferrari for breaking the agreement to participate in F1 up until 2012, if they do, who's going to win?

They probably will, and I think Ferrari might win. If not, then it's game over for FOTA.

2. Which of the current FOTA teams, who DID NOT sign a $50 million bond not to apply to F1 (Brawn, Red Bull, Toro Rosso), you suspect will stay in F1?
Not sure, maybe Red Bull or Toro Rosso

GP Racing, or GP Championship. Rules will be pretty much the same as 2009's rule.

No

Yes

6. Which "Abandoned by F1" racing circuits will return to Breakaway Series calendar?

Silverstone? Montreal? Magny-Cours?

Piquet Jr

8. With 8/10 teams gone from F1 next year, what will be the drop "%" in TV ratings and Grand Prix attendance figures next year?

I don't think anyone would pay much attention to F1 if FOTA packs up and leave.

The breakaway series should be called F-Zero. Because it sounds futuristic and cool, and zero is the only way to sound like you're a higher series than F1.

Bam, someone sign me up as head of marketing on a million a year salary.

1. Will FIA sue Ferrari for breaking the agreement to participate in F1 up until 2012, if they do, who's going to win?

They will sue Ferrari. Ferrari will win, but only after about 6 appeals from each side and after the end of the year 2015.

Toro Rosso under new management.

Grand Prix World Championship. GP1 has been trademarked by Bernie and CVC.

Basic rulebook for 2010 will probably be the same as in 2009, except with clearer regulations regarding the diffusers.

No.

It takes time to set up, so for the moment I'd say no.

Montreal, Zandvoort, Silverstone.

No comment on this one at the moment.

About 85%.

The breakaway series should be called F-Zero. Because it sounds futuristic and cool, and zero is the only way to sound like you're a higher series than F1.

No, that gives the impression that it's like a "Formula One Lite". You know, like "Coke Zero".

http://fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/f1releases/2009/Pages/fia_fota.aspx

I don't know what to make of this, other than the fact that this might be FIA's official "declaration of war" against FOTA.
Despite the fact that I agree with most of FIA's reasons for the budget cap and such, I'd still rather see the FIA disappear.
However, I don't have that much confidence in the FOTA keeping a new series running properly without dying a slow death due to lack of cost containment.
Seeing what happened when IndyCar split (and having nothing but painful memories of that), I think I'd like to vote none of the above.

The new questionnaire:

The FIA would win, but the damages would be minimal as the FIA wouldn't lose much tangibly. FOM could sue them for a lot more but I think their contract is invalid from what I have read.

None, Red Bull seem very against the cap and Brawn will follow what Merc do.

F1000, Formula A, GP1, MotorGP (bit confusing), AutoGP ...
Basic rulebook will be similar to the 2010 budget capped regulations. No rev limits on engines, no refuelling etc etc.

No need.

Montreal

Bourdais, Piquet.

10% at the start of the year, 30% by the end.

Yes, Ferrari will win or they will come to some sort of agreement which involves ferrari leaving for financial compensation.

Toro Rosso, under new ownership.

GPC as in grandprix championship.

I'm not sure if thats scientifically possible.

Maybe, I don't know if they'll need one, they can leech all the talent from GP2 and F2. Unless the FIA introduces FIA specific contracts with drivers or something, which would need a transfer fee.

Montreal (*cheer*), Silverstone, San Marino, Austria, Fuji (as of next year F1 is going back to Suzuka) and MONZA. Monza has no F1 contract after this year and if Ferrari goes, Monza will follow.

Piquet, Bourdais, Barachello.

30 at first, 70-80% towards the end.

Last edited:

One of my favourite SNES games.

F-Zero is a futuristic racing video game developed and published by Nintendo for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES). The game was released in Japan on November 21, 1990, in North America on August 13, 1991, and in Europe on June 4, 1992.

256px-F-Zero.jpg

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8fe4I8ZTCE[/YOUTUBE]

1. They will and they will win.
2. None.
3. NFI.
4. Hopefully.
5. probably.
6. Silverstone, Montreal.
7. NFI.
8. 35 %

They will, and Ferrari will win.

None of them.

Formula Awesome

Yes.

No.

Silverstone, Imola and Nordsclife.

No-one.

About 75%.

An official of the famous sports car endurance race has invited Formula One teams to next year's Le Mans.

Ferrari President and FOTA Chairman Luca di Montezemolo was the official starter at the Circuit de la Sarthe last weekend, where he insisted that Le Mans was a serious alternative for the Italian marque.

Ferrari and seven other current F1 teams are threatening to abandon Formula One over its rules and governance dispute with FIA President Max Mosley.

"The more the better. They are welcome here," said Remy Brouard, General Manager of the organising body Automobile Club de l'Ouest (ACO), which also runs the European Le Mans series.

Identifying with the F1 teams' rules dispute, Brouard said the major teams including Ferrari, McLaren, BMW, Renault and Toyota would be welcome to suggest new technical regulations for Le Mans.

"If they want to make proposals, we will listen," he said.

All of the aforementioned F1 manufacturers have contested Le Mans in the past.

Source: GMM
? CAPSIS International

1. They will sue, FIA will win, and Ferrari will have a junior team for a few years or find a way to buy themselves out of the contract. I expect RBR to be gone and STR to stay if the FIA also goes after them.

2. None. If they have no reason to stay, they'll leave. That's why I think Williams might join the spinoff after a year if given the chance. FI would only leave if the spinoff has a race in India, IMO.

3. Formula Utopia, or FU.

4. It's that much of a utopia, so no.

5. Nah, too many of those. GP2, F2, F3, IRL, Indy lights, FPA, Formula Renault, FPA, Atlantic, etc..

6. Silverstone, Magny-Cours, Imola, and Algrave. Hell, why just abandon circuits? Try and get a market F1 doesn't have and have a few US races. FIA rules prohibit Laguna Seca and a few other circuits. Why not? The only thing that will hurt is losing Monaco.

7. Piquet at the most. I see Bourdais heading back to IRL if he loses his seat.

8. Hmm.... This is where it gets interesting. I honestly think that if the spin off was to work, they will probably be worse than F1 their first year. The diehards will follow, but the casual fan will hear F1 and go with that. Also, TV contracts are still bread and butter, and will current F1 carriers carry both, even though this could mean the FIA bites them in the ass later when it comes time to renegotiate for either F1 or another series (WRC?).

One thing to add that all open wheel fans should consider. The American open wheel divorce and remarriage (IRL and CART) was disastrous for both leagues. Yes, Indy came out on "top", but they went from being one of the premier series in the US to second fiddle to an at the time fast growing series from the south, NASCAR. Replace the FIA/F1 with CART, FOTA with IRL, and LMS with NASCAR, and this story is very familiar over here in the states.

My .02.

edit: now looking at MP4/14's post, Formula LeMans? It's kind of looking like my last paragraph is ringing true.

FIA lifts lid on dispute with FOTA
Tuesday 16th June 2009

The FIA has lifted the lid on its feud with the Formula One Teams' Association, deriding as "unacceptable" the body's attempt to take control of the regulations and commercial rights.

Motor sport's world governing body, infuriated by FOTA's stance of late, has decided to go public in an attempt to prove it is the Association, and not the FIA, effectively holding the sport to ransom.

It is the latest shot in the ongoing war that is tearing F1 apart, one that may well now lead to a breakaway series given the growing animosity between the two sides.

In an extraordinarily lengthy statement from the FIA that details the battle that has raged in recent weeks, and with the Federation adopting an unusual hardline position, they make clear they are not about to bow to the demands of the teams.

In a damning riposte, the Federation stated: "The FIA and FOM (Formula One Management) have together spent decades building the FIA Formula One World Championship into the most watched motor sport competition in history.

"In light of the success of the FIA's Championship, FOTA - made up of participants who come and go as it suits them - has set itself two clear objectives: to take over the regulation of Formula One from the FIA, and to expropriate the commercial rights for itself.

"These are not objectives which the FIA can accept."

Highlighting the background to a sorry saga that has unfolded since the FIA announced at the end of April a voluntary ?40million budget cap would come into force from 2010, Ferrari and president Luca di Montezemolo come in for particular condemnation.

In responding to FOTA's call for better governance, the FIA retort: "Good governance does not mean that Ferrari should govern."

The FIA also shoot down FOTA's other arguments, that the new rules would dumb down the sport; that two sets of rules will ruin F1, as well as fears regarding the policing of a cap the teams apparently claim would "damage the DNA of Formula One".

When it comes to governance, the Federation points out that F1 is in need of "a strong and impartial regulator because of the nature of the sport, the high stakes and the competitors - people who want to win (literally) at any cost."

With regard to the regulations, they note that FOTA's proposals are even more severe as they "would impose restrictions on activities and minimise the technical challenge".

As for the two sets of rules, the FIA highlight the fact that on May 15 - during a meeting at a Heathrow airport hotel when Toyota Motorsport president John Howett tried to orchestrate a walk-out - it was determined one set of rules would be the way forward.

When it comes to policing, the FIA confirm the finances "will be managed primarily by self-verification by the team's auditors and directors".

The budget cap will now go ahead after a meeting yesterday between financial factions from both sides ended in deadlock days after it appeared significant progress was made involving FIA president Max Mosley and four FOTA representatives.

With the sport, as we know it, heading for the rocks, the FIA add: "If we wish to see innovative technology in Formula One, the only way is to limit expenditure and allow the engineers freedom to do their best within a fixed budget.

"This is exactly what happens in the real world and it is the only way forward for Formula One.

"Without technical innovation, Formula One will wither and die, and without real cost constraints, Formula One will lose its teams.

"This is why the FIA is insisting on cost restraint as part of the Formula One regulations.

"The final and overwhelming advantage is that it will provide technical freedom on a level playing field.

"With a limit on expenditure, the cleverest and most innovative engineering team will win.

"It will no longer be possible to substitute a massive budget for intellectual ability.

"In a technological sporting contest this must surely be the right way."

By way of underlining their stance, that they are not for turning, the Federation concludes: "The FIA remain committed to finding solutions for Formula One and has always been ready to accept reasonable compromise whilst retaining the overall principle that it will continue to lead and regulate the sport for the benefit of all stakeholders.

"Formula One will have a full grid in 2010 with a single set of regulations. It is essential that these include clear and precise financial regulations."

Mustard

:lol: It's too little, too late on the FIA's part. The fans are almost unilaterally on FOTA's side by now.

The desparation is starting to show.

People are saying that if FOTA does break away from the FIA, but Ferrari and Red Bull are still forced to compete in F1, they might run half-hearted efforts, maybe with advertising for the break-away series. For example, if they actually go to Donington, the FOTA teams might run with branding for a race of their series at Silverstone, just to rub it into the FIA's face.

People are saying that if FOTA does break away from the FIA, but Ferrari and Red Bull are still forced to compete in F1, they might run half-hearted efforts, maybe with advertising for the break-away series. For example, if they actually go to Donington, the FOTA teams might run with branding for a race of their series at Silverstone, just to rub it into the FIA's face.
Really? Who?
I think if the unconditional teams lose their individual suits to not have to race, they'll just throw some 10 quid car out with one of the janitors for the team.
:p

I would laugh and laugh and laugh if they just stick a bunch of advertising for the breakaway series on their cars.

I wonder what the BBC think of all this. I would hate for the excellent team they put together for this season to be squandered on whatever the FIA does next year.

The irony

17/06/2009

While many, when observing the current row between the FOTA teams and the FIA, feel they've seen it all before, some are of the opinion that this time it's different.

Last night we received an e-mail from a good friend of the Pitpass team, an F1 insider who has seen action with numerous teams at times when they employed the likes of Senna, Schumacher and Alonso.

"I have to say, it feels to me like the trajectory of all this is leading irrevocably to a parting of the ways," he wrote. "Considering today's lengthy FIA release and having read that tetchy exchange of letters between the legal eagles, it's difficult to see where there might be any common ground between the feuding parties.

"I wonder if there will be a British Grand Prix this weekend," he continues, "or indeed, whether the 2009 FIA Formula One World Championship will run its full 17 rounds."

With just a couple of days before the FIA's second deadline in as many weeks, and with the sport's governing body insisting that it will press ahead with the ?40m budget cap in 2010, there are a growing number of fans and F1 insiders who feel, like our friend, that this time it's for real.

How ironic therefore, that the fate of F1, as we know it, might be decided this weekend at Silverstone, the circuit which hosted the first ever round of the Formula One World Championship, way back in 1950, and which itself looks set to disappear off the F1 map.

And as Ferrari prepares to head off along with the FOTA teams, let's not forget that it was at Silverstone in 1951 that Froilan Gonzalez scored the Maranello outfit's maiden Formula One Grand Prix victory.

All things considered, maybe Silverstone is the ideal place for F1, as we know it, to be finally laid to rest.
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=38200

Talk about depressing...