Few rig shots and a new toy!!

Shadowness

Car(s)
Caged Clio 182 Track Car
Went out yesterday to experiment with some rig shots in some potentially good locations, and I also received my new work horse!! :D

We tried some similar shots at different angles, wouldn't mind some feedback as to which you prefer:

DSC_5339.jpg

DSC_5351.jpg

DSC_5405.jpg

DSC_5422.jpg

DSC_5411.jpg

DSC_5378.jpg

DSC_5386.jpg

And my new toy!!
DSC_5434.jpg

I've only been playing with it today (my god it's good!), but Im out of the country for two weeks as of tomorrow, so I will give it a good workout when I get back :)

C+C welcome :)

2,3,4 & 5 are quite uncharacteristically soft for you, were you running with the engine on or are you just getting some flex ? Other than that, great locations and angles ! How are you getting on with the under body mounting system ?

I've no idea about what's what in the Nikon lineup so I'll just smile, nod and say 'coooool' :D

They were all shot with the engine off. They are sharp on the full res shots, I think it's down to the resizing etc.

The undercar rig is amazing! BUT some cars dont have points to clamp it to, then your buggered and have to use the normal suction mount version :(

lol@your Nikon knowledge! ;) I know a little about Canons (I would never get one! ;) :drums: JOKE, soz, couldnt resist!).

I think the D3 is the equivalent of the 1Ds mkIII.

Leave the pesky suction mount version alone ! IF the D3 is full frame what lenses are you using ? I've only recently moved to FF and the widest I have is 24mm, was thinking 17mm should be enough ?

*HUUUGE JEALOUSY* Of your camera, photographic ability, rig and car...

It's the whole 'removing the rig from the shot' thing that makes it even more impressive for me. I suppose an undercar rig makes that much easier, does it?

Just so you know, we all hate you now.

:p

D3 = 1DMkIII, except full frame as opposed to 1.3 crop.

D3X = 1DsMkIII
Well... more like, kind of in between. Nikon and Canon don't usually have absolutely direct competitors (ie.: the D90 is in between the 40D and 50D).

Last edited:
You have inspired me to try and construct my own rig (although not an under-car one - just one with sucker pads - I've discovered that it isn't actually that expensive!) next week (half-term :D). I guess mounting it to the Kangoo's roof will get it a nice high up angle :p Thanks! And one quick question - do you use ND filters for these?

Last edited:
You have inspired me to try and construct my own rig (although not an under-car one - just one with sucker pads - I've discovered that it isn't actually that expensive!) next week (half-term :D). I guess mounting it to the Kangoo's roof will get it a nice high up angle :p Thanks! And one quick question - do you use ND filters for these?

Yeh I use an NDx8 filter and a CPL too. The CPL filter also blocks more light, which is useful, but it's great at controlling the reflections on the car too, especially on the windows which can look horrible.

If you need any help, just ask :)

Well... more like, kind of in between. Nikon and Canon don't usually have absolutely direct competitors (ie.: the D90 is in between the 40D and 50D).
The 1Dmk3 and the D3 competed for exactly the same crowd, ie., the press/sports/advanced&rich amateur-market. Traditionally, the 1D-series could even be called the superior compared to the Dx-series, as the Dx-series had inferior performance on high ISO settings, and was 1.6x crop.

The D3 put superior ISO to the line, and it was full frame, it had more advanced AF.

But it's not like the D3 made the 1D-series redundant. It's a generation issue, the D3 and the 1Dmk3 is competing for the exact same customers. And so will the 1Dmk4 and the D3s do.

-

To the OP, nice photos, grats on your new toy. ;)