FG Automotive Design Challenge #1

FG Automotive Design Challenge #1

• Total voters
If you think a beetle is an easy redesign you should see the utter crap that people are comming up with :p

Um, that's because the only people who would bother doing such a thing are Beetle enthusiasts, and we all know what a bright lot they are... :p

If we had some sort of computer racing game with a track designer, that would be fun for a one off "Design the Official Final Gear Track" competition.

TrackMania Nations Forever. Not realistic at all but with good track design it's super super super super fast and mega awesome fun, also free. Also you can host servers on your own computer no problem since lag just means that other people's cars jump around, but it doesn't affect you at all. FG TMNF server with FG tracks, anyone?

Um, that's because the only people who would bother doing such a thing are Beetle enthusiasts, and we all know what a bright lot they are... :p

No actually, these are the "possibly official ones" and it makes the beetle enthusiast want to barf.

So who's gonna post first? :lol:

I have a few preliminary sketches/rough ideas.

We don't have to do interiors do we? Because if we do mine will end up looking like Jeremy's S-class cottage!

I'm seeing this as more or less a 'ideas on paper' kind of thing, not a "completely design a Jaguar XJ" type situtation. To me, the most important part of a Jaguar is the front. It has to look like a Jag which is where the current fleet fails sooo hard. They have absolutely no heritage and they're just horrible. Secondly, a Jag has to be, as its name suggests, low and muscular but at the same time lean and taught, with considerable presence. You never see bulky lines on the good Jaguars (anything pre-callum essentially) The latest XJ, and its predecessor miss the point entirely. As does the XF and XK. They simply don't look Jaguar enough.

So here is my first sketch, just a simple ink on paper of what I think the front end should look like. Its more of a refined gesture than anything, so don't take it as more than that:

I'll do more body-oriented pens later.

Last edited:
I'm seeing this as more or less a 'ideas on paper' kind of thing, not a "completely design a Jaguar XJ" type situtation. To me, the most important part of a Jaguar is the front. It has to look like a Jag which is where the current fleet fails sooo hard. They have absolutely no heritage and they're just horrible. Secondly, a Jag has to be, as its name suggests, low and muscular but at the same time lean and taught, with considerable presence. You never see bulky lines on the good Jaguars (anything pre-callum essentially) The latest XJ, and its predecessor miss the point entirely. As does the XF and XK. They simply don't look Jaguar enough.

Well, I think the latest gen models fit fine in the Jaguar line-up. It's time they moved out of the 18th century and into the 21st :p

But there, people will have different opinions which should make this competition interesting.

I'll think about it, I'm more on the reproducing side of drawing, I rarely have the inspiration to think of new ideas.

Well, I think the latest gen models fit fine in the Jaguar line-up. It's time they moved out of the 18th century and into the 21st :p

But there, people will have different opinions which should make this competition interesting.

I'll think about it, I'm more on the reproducing side of drawing, I rarely have the inspiration to think of new ideas.

Well thats fine. But do it in a way that is distinctly Jaguar. Make it at least something beautiful. I'm not saying copy all the design elements, merely embrace the design philosophy that the original cars had. They are not doing this in the slightest with the XF and XJ. They look like an awkward hybrid between current German and French design.

So here is my first sketch, just a simple ink on paper of what I think the front end should look like. Its more of a refined gesture than anything, so don't take it as more than that:

I'll do more body-oriented pens later.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e1/UK_Stop_sign.gif

Like the Photoshop game, sharing previews and ideas is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN. Thanks!

Submit your final entry to me in a PM.

Last edited:
I'll give it a go. I'm genuinely interested in the direction that other people will take in this challenge. Besides, car design, how hard can it be?

LOL this is actually quite a bit of good fun! Unfortunately, I just sort of ended up with something that liiks a lot like the new production XJ with a different front end <_<

:lol: Same thing happened to me on my first go. I think I was trying too hard to keep some aspects of the current Jag line.

I can kinda sorta maybe draw. Count me in.

Well I finished the first rendition of mine. I may have unintentionally drawn a Bentley Continental though.

PM sent.

oh crap deadlines today? ah well I'll try to pump sth out by 1 or so