FG Fitness Challenge

Quite the difference D-fence, congrats!!!

I'm also sorta in. I started road biking last march. Mostly went out alone (bought bikes with my then GF, we split up -> cycling alone :-( ), whenever time and weather permitted. I racked up 2800 kms which I'm quite happy with. Pants that I couldn't wear for years now fit with room to spare. My rather new bavarian leather trousers just fall off without the belt... Also 25-30 mins of floor exercises everyday I'm not hungover help...
I really wanna keep this up, its the first thing that brought my weight down the last 12 years... Before that I was called Adonis on multiple occasions ;-)

So here's my goal: Do another 2500kms on the bike this winter until the spring/summer permits outdoor cycling again! Gonna buy a roller trainer (says google translate. Basically a machine where you put your road bike on. Aiming for a VR one...) next week and start off ;-) Just right for my 30th BDay.

Ran a 5k this morning. Windy, chilly conditions. Did it on woodland trails, with 1,500ft elevation difference (up and down). 28:47 was the total, 8'27"/mi average over the whole course. Slow training, but it sufficed.

My aim is to increase my stamina with the goals of a 26 mile power-walk and 13 mile run in May and Sept next year. My fitness isn't bad (cycle 12 miles daily, can walk at 4-4.5 mph pace easily for a couple of hours) but struggle with running. Can't do more than 3 miles without dying at the moment! Also, my resting pulse rate is abysmal at 85-90. Having said that, after strenuous exercise it returns to normal within 5 mins or so my heart's not in that bad a shape. I don't want to lose any weight - BMI and overall weight distribution is fine (it's all in my boobs!), but I could do with building muscle tone. Here's hoping!

Well I'll post in here at least. I've pretty much not done any exercise since I was about 14, and am incredibly unfit. :( I do think it would be in my benefit to get fit, but am also very lazy. I guess an achievement for me would be to become fitter. I'm not overweight (but not underweight either) so I don't need to loose or gain any weight and any clothes that don't fit me are because I'm too tall. :lol: I'm not a sporty person and never have been, and definitely ain't paying to use the gym at uni (?60 for the year) so there isn't any quantifiable goal for me, other than being able to run any distance. I think one other issue is that I get very hot easily, but aren't as affected by the cold as others, but during winter there is no enthusiasm. :p

I ran 5 minutes or so the other day, and that didn't seem too bad. So maybe I'm fitter than I think but I just don't try. I'll try and get out tomorrow on the first 'session' of that C25K thing :)

I used to run and cycle everywhere but then I got my license and discovered booze and smoking and I haven't really done anything for years.

The other recent changes in my life have led me to the point where I want to do something about things. I have already shifted half of the gut I was beginning to develop and have set a quit date for November 1st for the smoking. There is a gym half a mile away that doesn't cost too much and once I know I am breathing better (probably once I get the expense of Christmas out of the way) I plan to join up there. When I do I'll post my chest/waist/bicep/thigh/calf measurements and then update once a month. Be nice to be back to a 32" waist but get up to a 44" chest with the rest in proportion. And I'll take (somewhat embarassing) pics when I start and update those monthly too.

I realise at my age getting to look like RaptorJesus might be tricky (not least because he is brown and I'm not! :D ) but then I look at what Daniel Craig achieved for Bond and think if I could get halfway to that it would be a major achievement.

But anyway I'll start with the quitting smoking and keep you posted.

And great idea for a thread, Chels et al.

Well I managed to get 1.75 miles in (treadmill), alternating walking and running like the C25k plan. I was planning on going for more and was in the mood, watching NCIS, then suddenly it was decided my family was going out to dinner. Exactly what I didn't want to do.

This sounds interesting, I'm in!

Right now I'm in a decent degree of fitness, I have self-defense classes twice a week for an hour and that's a good workout to begin with. What I really love to do is hiking, and I'm lucky to live in a region with hills and mountains where I can get great views and great exercise at the same time. Sometimes I go out for an hour, other times I can walk walk walk and not return home for 4 or 5 hours. The time to do this has been limited lately for various reasons, but I'd love to get back on it.

The goal:
Transform the largest possible amount of fat weight into muscle weight to look trimmer.

Long goal:
To get gear and do a long distance hike (150+ km over several days)

Also to get back into swimming, there's a pool near here, but I'm a bit short handed with cash (as are all portuguese at the moment :p)

Footnote: here are some pics of my hiking trips around the region:
Walking through a roman road
Cherry blossom season

I'm in. My diet and exercise regime starts tomorrow 17/10/2011. Just hit 150kgs again. To hard to climb towers at this weight. I do it but the stress it must be putting on my body.

I haven't been working out much since I hurt my knees playing ultimate a year ago. I've always been more a sprinter, but I want to get my endurance up a bit. Goal for the next several weeks: get my 5k back in the 20 minute range and shed a few of these spare pounds.

Too much, keep the lifting under 1 hr, any more has no purpose.

Dunno. I had a friend who was absolutely fanatical about being in the gym, and it definitely worked for him (he went on to enter and win some bodybuilding competitions). Everyone's different. But yeah, generally I'd agree.

I'm trying splitting my own lifting into two parts - arms & legs one day, and trunk the other - similar to what LP has done with his, except he's got three, and then spending less time at the gym each session, but going twice as often. I find that easier, because although I'm overall more tired (whih I think is a good sign), I'm not completely fucked two or three evenings per week, so enjoy life a bit more.

Hoping no-one will be at the gym this morning. Gonna crank out bis and tris.

Toying with the idea of walking into work on Tuesday. It's only 5 miles, which I can do no problem, but it means getting up an hour earlier than normal :|

[*]To be able to run a 5k (3mi) in 9 weeks from when you start this challenge!

Ok, I`ll try. The weather will be an issue, but I hope to succeed.

Oh and grats on the weight loss btw D-Fence. Lookin much better! Those are inspirational results right there. I don't know why I didn't see that earlier :?

I'm in :)

Goal: Loose about 10 kg in time for next summer (94 kg --> 84 kg) and maybe get sligtly marked/toned. Next step would be to loose 4 kg more, and maybe gain a bit of it again in muscle, but lets not get ahead of ourselves :)

Method: Crossfit 2? times a week. Crossfit is a way of training that has grown popular here, focusing on core training. With their own words it's based on high intensity training with warried functional movements. Every workout is different.

In practise it's hard as hell. I have been attending 4 times now and I have been sore in all sorts of places I have never been sore before. There is a trainer pacing you, and making sure you are doing the excersices correctly so you don't get injuries. The trainers put together a new set for each workout, so you try something different every time.

I'm doing this with a friend which is also helping. Me and the same friend have been going to the gym once or twice a week for the past couple of years, but it was more to hang out than work out, and that showed... So we decided to step it up.

Since I have been going for 2 weeks now I can make the first update: Lost about 1 kg after the first 4 workouts, but have hat a very unhealthy weekend (junk, candy, chips, soda, alcohol galore) so I have probably put on most of it again:
94 kg --> 93 kg --> 94 kg

Apart from weight being the same I fell more energetic, and I haven't had a sore neck or headaches since I started.

It's cool to see lots of people taking up personal challenges. I'm more excited to see how many achieve their goals. GO TEAM!