FG Fitness Challenge

Some of my fellow Analgearians have, quite rightly, been on at me to quit smoking for some time now. I went to bed on the night of my birthday (yeah, thanks for the good wishes, you fuckers!) and haven't smoked since. Eleven days and counting.....

I'm also limiting myself to no more than three beers of an evening, no wine or spirits, and today started a nightly regimen of squats, sit-ups and press-ups. Only 10 reps of each to start but ramping up by 5 a week from there.

I've managed to avoid any murder or road rage so far and next time any of you see me I may be a vastly different man. Less vast hopefully.

Don't worry, I'll still be a c**t! ;)

Some of my fellow Analgearians have, quite rightly, been on at me to quit smoking for some time now. I went to bed on the night of my birthday (yeah, thanks for the good wishes, you fuckers!) and haven't smoked since. Eleven days and counting.....

I'm also limiting myself to no more than three beers of an evening, no wine or spirits, and today started a nightly regimen of squats, sit-ups and press-ups. Only 10 reps of each to start but ramping up by 5 a week from there.

I've managed to avoid any murder or road rage so far and next time any of you see me I may be a vastly different man. Less vast hopefully.

Don't worry, I'll still be a c**t! ;)

Yeah but you?ll now hopefully be one that stays around to irritate us a bit longer! :) Good for you! :)

Reactions: MWF
Let's recap last year for me...

I did maintain a jog of 4-5 km once, sometimes twice a week, and since I bought my new bike in late March I cycled about 1800 km. I'm keen on keeping that up so today I jogged a slightly longer route of 5.5 km. :)

I've gone to the gym pretty regularly since a week ago. However, last session was rough. Didn't get to complete what I wanted due to feeling really tight - i realize i'll need to stretch more.

I didn't go yesterday because I wanted to check out these apartments but will probably go today. I'll attempt to incorporate some of the stuff i learned in the getting started session I had with the lead trainer. Hopefully I remember some.

"Regularly since a week ago" is good, but "regularly for a year" (or longer, and by regularly I don't mean once a month :p) is better. ;)

I just found out how long a coin cell (CR2032) lasts in my trip computer: it's just shy of 2000 km or about 107 hours of cycling... :D I have just 42 km left to the 2000 km mark. Let's see - 1000 km on August 28th, 1500 km on November 5th, 2000 km should come up sometime next week which means I'm currently cycling about 240 km per month... :)

I managed to lose around 15 pounds in 2017, would have been 5 more if not for the trend reversal at the end of the year due to a work trip.

NjmlJaq.png

Body fat percentage :

uncAJ5s.png

Let's try doing the same in 2018 :)

Eye-Q;n3543380 said:
I did maintain a jog of 4-5 km once, sometimes twice a week, and since I bought my new bike in late March I cycled about 1800 km. I'm keen on keeping that up so today I jogged a slightly longer route of 5.5 km. :)
Since I jog with some colleagues from work and that route is 6 km I figured that I can do that kind of length on my Sunday jogs as well so today I did 6.3 km. :)

Eye-Q;n3546622 said:
Really? It had to begin to snow last night after two weeks of dry weather? :? I'm usually jogging every Sunday, but with a layer of snow everywhere I can't see the patches of ice in the forest I encountered the last time which still aren't melted since it was constantly below 0°C. I think I'll have to take an alternative route on sidewalks, fortunately the car traffic is rather low on sundays...
It turns out snow on ice atually has more grip than sheer ice so when it stopped snowing I went out and jogged 6.5 km today...

Screw bad grip on compacted earth, today I extended the lap to 7.3 km...

Rode my bike around my block which is probably half a mile. That made me sad. I hadn’t realized how out of shape I’ve gotten. :(

I hope to change that.

93Flareside;n3547157 said:
Rode my bike around my block which is probably half a mile. That made me sad. I hadn’t realized how out of shape I’ve gotten. :(

I hope to change that.
So, did you change that already? ;)

I just jogged my usual Sunday 7 km, but since a colleague of mine lent me his gear for monitoring my heart rate I slowed down considerably since apparently that's more effective. Before that I jogged almost as quickly as possible (about 6:30min per km), but now I try to keep my heart rate below 140 bpm so I slowed down to something between 8:00min and 8:30min, depending on the terrain.

Started doing body-weight workouts and cardio. Looking to trim down and tone, but not really build a ton of large muscles.

Yesterday was day one - 3 reps of 6 proper pushups, one rep of 8. Two pull-ups with our new pull-up bar.
Today will be a 20-minute jog/walk, swapping every 2 minutes.

I'll be doing body weight stuff 2-3 times a week, and cardio at least 3 times a week. Thursday I plan on adding sit-ups to my regimen.

Current readout of the bike computer: 4660 km since April 2017. On August 19th the Cyclassics route went practically through my front yard (the nearest corner was 200m away) so I got out of bed very early (7am) to enjoy absolutely car-free roads. On that Sunday I cycled 45 km, this Sunday I cycled around 80 km on this route:

Eye-Q;n3551371 said:
So, did you change that already? ;)

I have a real lack of motivation.

231.5 lbs (105 kg) -> 214.5 lbs (97.3 kg)

5 of those lbs (2.3 kg) were lost from going to South India for two weeks, eating the healthiest food, sweating, and shitting myself silly for the last two days of my trip cuz i ate something not healthy.

Officially less weight than when I moved to Baltimore 5 years ago.

Trying to get this down to under 200 to start with. 180 lbs at 15% BF would be ideal.

Current readout of the bike computer: 4660 km since April 2017.
Err, yeah - current readout of the very same bike computer: 9250 km.

Plus about 1500 km on my gravel bike.
Plus about 800 km on a rental cargo bike.
Plus about 1300 km on my own cargo bike.

All in all I did more than 8500 km by bicycle since August 29th 2018 which is almost exactly one year...

Of course that has a pretty profound effect on my fitness and weight: On Sunday I cycled 85 km at 29 kph on average, my body weight dropped from 90 kg (198 lbs) a year ago to currently 80 kg (176 lbs). Oh, and my jogging pace went from something between 8:00min per km and 8:30min per km to something between 6:00min and 6:30min per km. :)

After ten years of not rly giving a shit, I started to do something about myself. Weight has crept on and that in turn causes other problems. I got myself a gym membership(use it too! :D) , started to watch what I eat. Compared to when I started progress has been made. Slow. But progress has been made nonetheless.

It's a lifestyle change, not a short-term project.
Good on you for starting.

It's a lifestyle change, not a short-term project.
Good on you for starting.
Thanks, I do realize that and I'm not doing it pn a whim. Serous though has gone in to this and certain things need to be changed. I used to grab something unhealthy with me at least once a day. I believe I've at least gotten past the cravings.

Oh, I can participate here. :D

Disclaimers: Some preaching ahead, works for me, your mileage may vary, etc.

I made it all the way up to 297.2 lbs earlier this year, and for the first time in my life something really clicked. Getting so close to 300 was something I never thought I'd experience, and I haven't been the same since. After that day I gained no more for the last few weeks at my last job, and got serious the morning after I'd left.

On Saturday, February 9th 2019, I weighed in at 296.2 lbs and got serious.

That day I started keto and upped my consistency at the gym. I went shopping to buy some nice button-down shirts for my new job, and bought them a bit too tight. Tight enough not to be able to wear them right away, but with some aspirations for my first day 10 days later. I suffered through (luckily) just a few days of keto flu and learned how to stop panicking at the first thought of hunger.

I started my new job on Tuesday, February 19th at 282.4 lbs.

I learned how to live on salads (though they're nearly 1,000 Cal with extra fat and protein) while starting my day with a 1000-Cal workout and running on a non-trivial Cal deficit (never more than 2,000 Cal in a day). I eventually added cycling on 3 of my no-gym days and did my second century. I spent 12 days exercising like this and eating around 1,200 Cal until I nearly passed out mid-workout, just to learn where my limits are. I dropped cycling in favor of upping CrossFit and Olympic weightlifting to 5 times per week, and am now looking at adding in one long-ish weekend ride (30–50 miles). I drink only keto-friendly alcohol (whiskey, neat) and eat nothing for the rest of the day once that starts, regardless of the time. I mostly stick to intermittent fasting, with a 12pm–8pm feeding window.

This morning I weighed in at 231 lbs.

That's the least I've measured since high school (class of '04), and 1 lb less than after I shed 32 lbs with Whole Life Challenge in 2013. After a lifetime of XL shirts, I went up to XXL last year and back down to XL a few months ago, with L imminent. I already wear L gym shirts and shorts, and size 36 pants aren't tight at all any more (while size 42 were in February). I'm aiming for L street clothes by the end of the month. When a workout kicks my ass, I kick its ass right back in return.

My goal is not a number.

I just want to be healthy and fit. I don't want heart issues by 40. I want to sleep well. I want to look good naked. I want to feel always the way I feel these days. This is life. My "ideal weight" is probably somewhere in the 180 lb range, but we'll find that out for sure eventually. The only thing that'll change at that point is that I'll add some Calories and variety to my diet. My mindset won't change one bit.

If you're thinking "that's crazy" or "I could never do that", you're wrong.

What you likely can't do is start today with what I do now. You have to add things into your life in a way that makes them stick. For me that's a bit head-first, but I also had a coming-to-Jesus moment standing on my scale in January. And even I added just the diet at first, with a push to slightly improve my exercise consistency. I made new changes as existing ones became effortless habits. It takes time and effort, but if I can do this, anyone can.

You have to actually want it.

You have to want it more than fries or sitting on the couch. You have to want it more than the temptation. You have to want it enough to feel empowered when you say no to dessert. You have to want it enough to embrace the discomfort of feeling hungry, missing the satisfaction of junk food, and strenuous exercise.

But if you want it, you can do it.

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't—you're right.”
―Henry Ford