• I don't play anymore.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PacketCollision

Server Admin/Crasher
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
generator on wheels
Our official minecraft server has fallen into complete disrepair, but I have some interest in reviving it. There are a few different possibilities, which one seems best?

1) Vanilla: We could always be on the latest version of Minecraft (or at least within a few days of an update), it would be more stable, it's the game people know. On the other hand, it doesn't have all the fun automation stuff that we've had so much fun with, but people who love Tekkit could use Loose_Unit's server, and I'd be happy to give him access to our server to host it if load or net connection is limiting his server.

2) Tekkit: Has lots of configuration options, but does not update frequently (in fact it will probably stay at 1.2.5 for a long time, because the project that it uses to adapt those mods to work with Bukkit has been abandoned). It has many complex automation and other enhancements, but they mean more to learn and more that can break. Significant tweaking might be necessary to make things properly balanced.

Last edited:
One of the reasons I stopped joining the FG server was all the hoops you had to jump through to make the client compatible. Personally I'd rather just leave it vanilla.

I voted for either. Vanilla would be fine, as long as the mods are in a launcher or are easy to set up. I seemed to have an easy ride setting up the mods for the last server but it was still a pain.

Tekkit on the other hand just works now we have the launcher and has a lot more to do.

Since the poll looks like a small victory for the
Vanilla.

With a few chocolate bits.

I suggest PC does all fg.com banner on the top.

ps. i would also like to see "kill the enderdragon" -night happening on fg's server (hard/hardcore-mode, if you die you must exit server and exit the mumble/teamspeak-server channel).

*Removed because unnecessary*

Last edited:
He's running 2 separate servers. 1 vanilla and 1 tekkit.

Vanilla: mc1.coastingfish.com - Tekkit: mc2.coastingfish.com:25566

He's running 2 separate servers. 1 vanilla and 1 tekkit.

Vanilla: mc1.coastingfish.com - Tekkit: mc2.coastingfish.com:25566

Thanks. :)

I voted for Tekkit, because it's a relatively simple mod that has a lot of options. However, Vanilla is fine for me as well. Either or, without having to install all of those mods I'd probably get back into it.

I prefer Vanilla because my brain always explode when I try on Tekkit. But i'm willing to give it another go :)

OK, it's pretty clear that the official FG server should be Vanilla, both because it got nearly double the votes and because I can keep it running more easily. I'll try to get it working tomorrow.

Thanks to loose_unit for making a Tekkit server where those inclined can play, it's a cool mod and I enjoyed playing with it, but I don't have the time or energy to keep that server working.

Edit: Server is up, I'm working out the kinks still. URL is just finalgear.com

Last edited:
Will be joining as soon as I get my "gaming" computer working again. :)

I've been working on a strip mine and building some roads around spawn. I think I have a nice enough design on the viaduct going.

I'll probably be in there in a bit. Also, letting you guys know, I'm not going to claim any plot of land that I'm working on unless it gets really bad. (Not that I make anything of worth anyway, but yeah.)

We have restarted how many times now...? :p

I'll probably be in there in a bit. Also, letting you guys know, I'm not going to claim any plot of land that I'm working on unless it gets really bad. (Not that I make anything of worth anyway, but yeah.)

You can't place or take water from land you don't claim and the first chest you place is an automatic claim. PC needs to remove that plugin, for seriously... There has to be a simpler way. Or at least something with a GUI, I have to go through 3 pages of /help to find out what the command is to give people access to my chesticles. But I suppose that would make it non-vanilla.

You can't place or take water from land you don't claim and the first chest you place is an automatic claim. PC needs to remove that plugin, for seriously... There has to be a simpler way. Or at least something with a GUI, I have to go through 3 pages of /help to find out what the command is to give people access to my chesticles. But I suppose that would make it non-vanilla.

I turned off the "cannot place/take water on the surface unless in a claim" protection of that plugin. We could also switch to a whitelist, but I prefer running an open server unless it's not practical. Whitelists are annoying when a new player can't find an op, and they don't prevent whitelisted people from doing damage. That said, if the feeling is overwhelmingly that I should switch to a whitelist and no protection plugin, so be it. Start a poll if you want.

How about a semi white list? People on the whitelist have no griefing protection applied, but random people would. That way the regulars/trust people wouldn't be annoyed and it would prevent new people from griefing. Is such a thing possible?

That would be a permissions plug-in, have a builders permission class which new users must be added to from a permission-less or near permission-less class. Most commonly called a grey list.