Fiat 500 revealed in internet leak

araracd

Car(s)
Mini-Saab 900 T Cab.-Panda 4x4-Punto JTD-Megane ST
Don't think this is a repost, so here goes:
http://www.autocarmagazine.com/news_article.asp?na_id=223528

Fiat 500 revealed in internet leak

Fiat?s new 500 supermini has been exposed in production-ready detail in pictures leaked by one of the company?s accessory suppliers. The pictures you?re looking at were discovered circulating the internet earlier this week, and they show ahead of Turin?s official unveiling that the reinterpreted Italian classic will be a close match for the Trepiuno concept that proved so popular at the Geneva motor show two years ago.

Fiat will position the new 500 as a value-for-money model to make it much more affordable than the new Mini, according to commercial director Luca de Meo. ?We start with a totally different perspective to the Mini,? says de Meo, ?the history of the 500 is very different. It was much more a car of the people and cheap transport for Italian families, more than the chic, swinging-60s image of the Mini.?

Although Fiat has yet to reveal pricing ahead of the sales launch at Frankfurt next September, de Mayo said the 500 would be priced between the Panda and Grande Punto. That suggests a starting price of around ?8000, rising to at least ?11,000 for higher spec versions, but much cheaper than the Mini.

De Meo also hinted at an Abarth version, a hot-hatch model likely to undercut the Mini Cooper S by several thousand pounds.

Despite such keen pricing, de Meo is promising a high quality interior with strong design features. ?You will see the link with the original 500, but much better execution.?

At launch the 500 will have a full range of engines, including a diesel, but the body variants will be limited to a three-door only.

Younger buyers hold the secret of success for the 500, so the focus will be on late-teens and early-20s. ?The old car means a lot to older buyers, but the car went out of production in the early 1970s and means little to those under 22,? says Meo, ?so we have to make a connection with them.?

Fiat was marketing the old car and the 500 name at last week?s Bologna motor show using the same futuristic Barbarella-style display that appeared at Geneva last year, and targeting the 1.2m Italian visitors expected at the show.

Julian Rendell

8126631370.jpg

81266315280.jpg

81266310390.jpg

Props to them for going with a "radical" design, but it's still ugly as hell. :barf:

quite nice looking considering that most cars on the roads are designed by horses

Just does not have the charm of the original. Maybe I just need time to warm up to it. I do give credit to Fiat for being a bit radical, and not making a car that looks like a Yaris or Polo.

I might be alone but I like the way it looks... Can't wait to see it on the roads.

Much better than the Nissan Micra... I allso like that it looks alot like the first Fiat 500... it will be 3 times bigger ofcourse but it looks like the first 500. :) Kudos.

Is it just me or does it seem to take a few notes from the Mini Cooper?

doesnt look too much like the original except from the front

I would like this one:

http://img95.imageshack.**/img95/2636/500rp9.jpg

or this one:

http://img221.imageshack.**/img221/4406/copyof500bb4.jpg

:D

Hoping to see one on the road soon!

I wouldn't exactly go calling it a radical design. All they've done is drawn design themes for a car that was a huge success for them in the 50s 60s and 70s. Just like the Mini Cooper, Ford Thunderbird and countless other stuff that gets carted around.

It's a sad state of affairs when proper radical cars are being overlooked and designs that make people feel 'safe' or 'nostalgic' are de rigeur

Is it just me or does it seem to take a few notes from the Mini Cooper?

x2

And what's that stripe on the hood intended to be? I think it lost quite a bit of the charme it had as a prototype version but am looking forward to take a closer look at it at the IAA in Frankfurt next year.

I agree with Mautzel, also on the IAA thing, but you have to consider that in that class really nicely styled cars aren't that common. Look at it next to a Micra and its fantastic. And I bet it will be a hell of a lot cheaper than a Mini.

I think I liked the original concept better, too. I think it looks worse than a Micra or a Yaris, simply because it looks old-fashioned instead of retro. And I don't think that's a good thing, considering Fiat was clearly aiming at the Mini. Still, I think until I see one in person I won't be able to judge properly.