Fiat Chrysler and Peugeot plan to create world's No.4 carmaker

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'13 Moto Guzzi V7, '08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Isn't the Challenger just a 300 chassis with coupe styling? Those things are massive when you get up close.
I'm guessing they are damn profitable because of that. The 300/Charger/Challanger platform has paid off the tooling years ago. It serves a niche that no one else is competing with. You can get an affordable V8 sedan or large coupe without the cost a luxury car entails.

From what I gather, FIAT was in a bad way concerning their small car platforms. The Panda platform is too old for the segment its competing in. PSA gives them that new platform.

Brands will be axed, but the market is too big now anyway. I see Alfa surviving as PSA has no equivalent, Maserati may if they figure what it is suppose to be, FIAT will remain as a badge job for the Italian market, Jeep obviously will live, Dodge will be rebranded European cars with some American muscle added in, and the rest will likely be killed off in favor of Puegeot and Citroen.

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'13 Moto Guzzi V7, '08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
It’s even better than that, 300 was based on E class platform from back in the day so they didn’t even have to design anything.
Knowing Daimler, I bet they still charged that "equal" partner to use it.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
06 Nissan XTerra Off Road, 00 VFR800, 07 ST1300
It’s even better than that, 300 was based on E class platform from back in the day so they didn’t even have to design anything.
Only partially true, as I recall. Chrysler was deep into the design of the 300 and Mercedes forced them to buy tooling and old stock for E-series suspension parts, among other things. The 300 was never intended to use that geometry, but it became part of the design due to the merger.

BerserkerCatSplat

Hormone Induced
Car(s)
The Jeep of Theseus, Angry Wagon
Only partially true, as I recall. Chrysler was deep into the design of the 300 and Mercedes forced them to buy tooling and old stock for E-series suspension parts, among other things. The 300 was never intended to use that geometry, but it became part of the design due to the merger.
Among other things, yeah. The NAG1/722.6 transmission was also a mandated Daimler part and was not an insignificant cost-adder for those cars. Great transmission though.

The Challenger shares a lot of architecture with the LX-cars but its platform is a bit different and shorter, so it's technically an LC-car.