FIFA 2013 Confederations Cup - 15th to 30th June - Brasil

Well nobody can say it's an unexpected final...

Well nobody can say it's an unexpected final...

Yes, the expected final that the Brazil fans wanted. They think the World Cup (or any other) is "theirs" and do not like that Spain are the champions.

It should be a good final to watch, for us neutrals.

:smile:

If I was pushed to make a bet, I'd back Spain. Like it or not, they look organized and working well, while Brazil has those some moments of brilliance and then do mistakes for 30 minutes.

ET & then pens is not the most satisfactory way to decide the winner, but it is probably the best option.

PKs to decide a winner is the worst. I would like to see keepers lose the option to handle the ball at the start of extra time.

Sunday 30th June 2013
FIFA Confederations Cup - Final

Brazil 3-0 Spain

3rd/4th Play-Offs

Uruguay 2-2 Italy
Italy win 3-2 on penalties

The Final was a very interesting game to watch, seeing a developing Brazil team outplaying the established World Champions.

Brazil worked very hard closing down when Spain were in possesion, especially when Iniesta had the play. They were rewarded very early on by a really messy goal after a couple of minutes, but Brazil didn't let up at all. Two more goals followed, a missed pen and red card for Pique, then Spain knew it was not gonna be their day.

Brazil are not the finnished article yet, but could be by next year with a few changes. Many of the team did not have great performances during the tournament, perhaps with the exception of David Luiz who had a superb Final, including a goal line clearance.

David Luiz showed that Brazil wanted to win more.

PKs to decide a winner is the worst. I would like to see keepers lose the option to handle the ball at the start of extra time.

That's another idea, lots have been looked at and even the "golden goal" suden death in ET was tried for a few years.

Most teams seem not to mind penalty shootouts, except England who loose them so often it has became a phobia & joke.

I think penalty shootouts was an American idea from the brief 1970s pro game back then, you know Pele et al. It is probably the least-worst system that works.

I think penalty shootouts was an American idea from the brief 1970s pro game back then, you know Pele et al. It is probably the least-worst system that works.

The shootout is indeed a child of the 60'/70's, but it's not the "Cosmos" soccer league that is due any credit. You must be thinking of a novel tie-breaker they came up with, similar to the tie-breaker in ice hockey (I think).