FIFTH GEAR HAS BEEN AXED

TurnerGTX

Fifth Gear host Vicki Butler-Henderson has been forced into the pits, with TV bosses confirming the show has been axed.

The channel Five programme was regarded as the main competitor to BBC2?s Top Gear.

Butler-Henderson, 37, had been an integral part of it since it was launched seven years ago.

But the latest series, which ended in July, never attracted more than a million viewers and Five decided it should be the last.

A source at the station claimed the decision had nothing to do with budget cuts. It is likelier its failure to make it on to the list of Five?s top 30 watched programmes had a negative impact on advertising revenue.

Fifth Gear first aired in 2002 after the original incarnation of Top Gear was ?rested? in 2001 due to poor ratings.

Several former Top Gear presenters, including Butler-Henderson were hired by Five to present the show.

The self-confessed tomboy raced karts as a child and competed in Formula First.

As one of the few high-profile women motoring experts, she is not likely to be off the circuit for long. Her husband Phil Churchward is series director of Top Gear.

Five said it was proud of Fifth Gear but that it was ?time to try something new?.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1221174/Vicki-s-career-stalls-Five-s-Fifth-Gear-driven-television.html#ixzz0UFMylrQV

Wow...

Top Gear should have the host team on as a group of special guests on one episode, and let them all do laps. Considering all of the good-natured ribbing they've done back and forth over the years, and the respect they have for each other (Jeremy and Tiff have done events together) I would love to see it.

Of course, if they did let them do laps, there's no doubt that they'd put some obstacles out there...

That sucks. I liked Tiff Needell, Jonny Smith, and Tom Ford.

I always feel badly when someone else looses his job. I hope they all find something else fulfilling.

I'm sure they will find something. I believe Ford writes for Top Gear.

Unbelievable. Yet another nice thing in the world is gone. Pff.

Damn. It was a good show with its moments, especially those Needell-Plato shootouts. I hope we see them on Top Gear someday as NecroJoe mentioned.

R.I.P. Fifth Gear :(

Perhaps Tiff could be revealed as the Stig. :p

Who said there was only one Tiff? :p

^LOL, that's a definite possibility.

There isn't even any news up on the 5th gear website yet although it's very early am in the UK, not to mention Sunday.
http://fwd.five.tv/fifth-gear

That does bring up a point. The article above is Daily Fail. They're "reactionary" but do they tend to get things like this totally wrong very often?

Last edited:
As one of the few high-profile women motoring experts, she is not likely to be off the circuit for long. Her husband Phil Churchward is series director of Top Gear.

WHAT!?!?!?!?? :blink:

I never knew that; maybe she'll get a job on TG now? :lol:

And I agree with the idea to get all of them on TG at once as the SsIRPC; that will take up like half an episode! :lol:

Wow, that's a shocker.... Wasn't a massive fan of the show, but I occasionally watched it and it wasn't that bad.

I do have to say though, I hope they don't hire any of them for presenting jobs on Top Gear, that would be shooting TG in the head after FG has been shot through the heart. Maybe they can do a Top Gear Online show or work with the magazine more... dunno.

(I am hoping the Daily Fail has got this wrong too, primarily so FG can continue and also so the Daily Fail ends up in massive trouble :lol:)

I thought about tweeting Jonny Smith about it as he seems to check pretty regularly, but am not sure quite what to say.

^ maybe "Hey, just saw this online (insert link here), should I be believing it? Hope not, thanks!"

Dunno, how do you ask a host online if their show has been cancelled? :blink:

I know! It's a bit of awkward for sure. I was also thinking something along the lines of "I'm hoping this is another daily failfail" but I figure he'll have enough people bugging him come morning.

^ yeah, let some moron with no filter between their brain and mouth do the dirty work. Then join in the joking at their expense if this is a biiiig dailyfailfail that we have fallen for.

EDIT: I should clarify that the "moron" I am talking about is the sort of prson that will probably post the article and be all "lolololololol u guyz faild"- aka a troll with no grasp of English.

Last edited: