FIFTH GEAR HAS BEEN AXED

I'm Australian and never heard of 5th Gear until I came here to get my TG fix (without waiting 6 months for them to air on SBS).

I started at Season 14, and while it wasn't as good as TG as far as entertainment goes, I enjoyed the dogfights and occasional challenges. I've seen the newer seasons and recently download 13 and 12 (where it got a little harder to watch). Shame if it does go, since I think it was getting better, and I enjoyed the proper car reviews.

There are Australian car review shows whose purpose is similar to 5th Gear, but they are soooo boring to watch.

Someone should start a Poll here to see how many Final Gear members would like the show to continue or be cancelled. I'd vote for continue.

Guys, remember we still don't know anything but a DAILY MAIL rumor. I'm sure Five will release something official in the morning. Consider your sources carefully.

My condolences

Until and unless some other News agency other than the Daily Mail states that the show is dead, I really dont think you all should be really that concerned...

Well that's not good, I started watching the show back in 2003 along with Top Gear.

I was asked to conduct a survey for Virgin Media a few weeks ago, where they mentioned "5th Gear may be moving to Bravo"...

So, maybe there's still hope (but without Tim please! :p )

Unfortunately it does seem likely that Fifth Gear was cancelled as far back as the end of its previous series. When 'The Gadget Show' replaced it, they stated that the show would "run until Christmas" in that timeslot.

I'd also like to see Tiff, Jonny, Vicki and Plato doing their own FACTUAL show or indeed complement the current Top Gear with a guest section on serious driving or whatever.

Can't really feel sorry for the show. I mean, c'mon guys. It's been a Top Gear ripoff for the last couple of seasons. And if you wanna go against the Goliath of motorshows, you better have something epic to back it up with. I'd rather they'd have sticked with their classic car reviews or at least come up with something original.

Unfortunately it does seem likely that Fifth Gear was cancelled as far back as the end of its previous series. When 'The Gadget Show' replaced it, they stated that the show would "run until Christmas" in that timeslot.

There was nothing particularly notable about that, regarding Fifth Gear anyway. They'd already broadcast the normal two series for this year. The wretched Gadget Show - a programme that appears to be little more than extremely poorly presented product placement - gets twice the audience of Fifth Gear.

Five has been slashing its programme budget over the last couple of years, so programming changes were inevitable.

For me, the show has been bordering on unwatchable since Tim Shaw joined. I'd like to see them rebuild Fifth Gear as a proper car show around Jonny Smith and VB-H. Get rid of the other presenters and all of the producers, they are nothing but baggage.

Well, Fifth Gear used to be a good show, factual, a nice contrast to TG. But that was several years ago, when their "studio" was simply their offices. After spending the last three or five seasons or so seeing the decline of the show (granted, it got better again after Tim Lovejoy, but that's easily accomplished), I'm not very sad about this news.
I liked most of the presenters, though. Tom Ford has a great humour, his reviews were ace. Johnny Smith, I like his style. I even like Vicki Butler-Henderson, and of course Tiff Needell and Jason Plato. Hell, I even liked John Bentley, he was the right man for the kind of segment he did. They are all good presenters, given the right segments and the freedom to appear natural. In my opinion the producers of Fifth Gear just used them extremely poor and with too much forced humour.
So I hope the good people of Fifth Gear find new things to do, and perhaps even a new show that's worthy of watching.

they are all very good presenters, but the people behind the making of fifth gear are terrible at making use of them. I just hope most of the presenters will be picked up by a better team.

Makes me sad, I really enjoyed Fifth Gear. Tiff is like a driving god. Makes me sad, no more watching him power sliding/drifting while smiling like a kid.

One thing I noticed as sesons progressed tiff got less and less screen time, tiff should gotten air time the whole show, ha

Last edited:
Tiff for the 4th TG old man presenter. In fact, he'd become the oldest.

I'm telling you he could totally fit in.

Tiff said:
Short story? Won a Formula Ford in a mag competition to start racing then wrote track tests which led to me getting on Top Gear ...

Tiff said:
No one can seem to confirm anything but it doesn't look good. So, after 15 years on Top and 8 years on Fifth is this the end of my gears ...

Permission to say "shit!". Liked the show, Tiff, Jonny, Tom(his articles are great!), Jason and even Vicky. Can't wait to see Tiff and Vicky in Clarkson's DVD but the end of Fifth Gear? :sad: Maybe an Old Top Gear reunion?

Tiff for the 4th TG old man presenter. In fact, he'd become the oldest.

I'm telling you he could totally fit in.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBbegkrcybE[/YOUTUBE] :cool: