FIFTH GEAR HAS BEEN AXED

dam it was the best all car focus TV show esp the last season

no more tiff and Jason :(

Didn't see that coming - if I'd kept an eye on the ratings I might have, but after 7 years, it was just something that was a fixture of the Five schedule. Pity, I always enjoyed Fifth Gear for its practical approach, which seemed to compliment Top Gear's silliness rather well. I hope the team go on to bigger and better things, and that if Five decide to reboot the show at some point in the future, they don't try to make another TG from the ashes, but look to do something fresh and entertaining.

With the benefit of hindsight, it might explain why certain Fifth Gear presenters have been free to with their Top Gear mates over the summer though :cool:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This can't be true. Fifth Gear has always been a good alternative when Top Gear didn't air.... :( :(

Twitter is down this morning so no idea of Jonny or Tiff for that matter have commented. I don't see any other news outlet reporting this with a simple search. I wonder what the story is.

Fifth Gear may have been Ralf to Top Gear's Michael, but i will miss it a bit. I stopped watching for a long time when they changed the format and brought in Tim Lovejoy who, despite being good on SoccerAm, obviously knew fuck-all about cars and I hated it. I thought it was going to be axed that series really.

Tiff just commented (lighty) on the news on twitter.... Hey only said that it was very bad news....

Tiff just commented (lighty) on the news on twitter.... Hey only said that it was very bad news....

Well, I guess that makes it more likely then. Sad news.

I still can't get in twitter. Grr.

What the fuck.

This sucks.

Thats the only way to put it.

This is sad. Fifth Gear was such a great alternative to Top Gear, it complimented TG very well.

It will be missed, dearly, if only by a handful of people, it will still be missed.

Tiff's tweet...

@tiff_tv Back from nice weekend in Scotland to find the Mail on Sunday announcing Fifth Gear is dead! Not good news ...

Sounds like the Fail knew before the presenters did <_<

I hope this isn't true :( I enjoyed watching FG when there's no TG :( I quite liked Jason and Tiff too.

Just ask yourself this question. How many times have you watched a cool FifthGear seg and wish it could be extended longer?? And How many times have you watched a stupid segment and wish they should have never made it in the first place? And the feeling that the producer is trying to cram as much shit into the programme as possible?

Almost every episode. I like Johnny's and Tom's reviews, however I have always felt they were too short. I never liked the races and some other silly segments...

+rep for you, for summing up how I felt about FG.

They should now put a sticker of "Fifth Gear" on the uncool section of the Cool Wall :D
"because we all here at TopGear always thought they were cool - and we?re always wrong about stuff like that" :)

every car show on german TV < Fifth Gear

sad but true. I will miss them (if that turns out to be true). They might not have been perfect and had some really bad shows ... but overall always something that I would look forward to watch ...

Tweets from Jonny now:

To answer all the tweets about Fifth Gear ending - I don't know who the Daily Mail talked to, but nothing is official. TV is a fickle world.
http://twitter.com/Carpervert/status/4970935021

FG is always compared to the big-budget epic movie monster that is TG. It can't and won't ever be TG. FG was always more, well, grass roots.
http://twitter.com/Carpervert/status/4970973940

So both he and Tiff don't know anything about it. If someone from Five/5th Gear really DID talk to the Daily Mail without any of the presenters knowing, that's REALLY low.

Last edited:
I never liked the races

GTFO. :lol: j/k You have every right to your opinion, no matter how wrong you are. :p

Media getting ahold of "leaked" information before people involved in the show isn't that unheard of.

Meh, if they haven't told the presenters how can they possibly have axed it? Sounds very fishy.

At this point, I doubt we'll learn much more until Monday. I'm sure there are a LOT of phones ringing right now trying to figure it all out.