FIFTH GEAR HAS BEEN AXED

I thought Five was owned by the BBC.? did that change?

Five is commercial and entirely separate from the BBC.

Hint: All BBC channels have the name "BBC" in them somewhere.

Based on the footage from the Duel advert, it seems plausible that VBH and the Tiff have moved to TopGear now...I hope to see more of them.

Or they know and they don't want to comment yet.

Kill the shows quietly. That's what they traditionally do here in the states. A quick press release, the blogosphere gets up in arms fora couple of days and then - poof - no more show.

Fifth Gear is off-air at the moment. All Five has to do is ride out the Fail's news cycle and then quietly pull the plug once the fervour has died down. When they actually break the news at a later date, most people figured it had already happened and there's no uproar, no on-line petitions and no one threatening to boycot Five or their sponsors.

Are you in advertising/PR? Because that's very perceptive and something I hadn't thought of. I'd say that's the most rational thought so far.

Based on the footage from the Duel advert, it seems plausible that VBH and the Tiff have moved to TopGear now...I hope to see more of them.

Clarkson's DVDs are in no way Top Gear and should never be mistaken as so.

Bad for them, but they can appear on TG, or how about Sabine vs Vicky? or should we say, the whole crew of TG vs the "retired" fifth gear crew?

I only watch Fifth gear as a pass-time everytime TG ends a season.

Thank god this show is OVER. I loved it back in the day when Vicki and Tiff were in the spotlight. Plato is okay, nothing against him. Could care less about Jonny Smith or Tom Ford, but HOW I LOATHE TIM SHAW. FG got worse EVERY SEASON. Yes, production improved, but the reason why I like TG is because I like the presenters, content, cars, AND films. FG had what... 6 presenters? Only ones I really cared about were Vic and Tiff, keep Jason on for fun. Ax Tom and Jonny from the show while someone bludgeons Tim Shaw.

I'll miss seeing Tiff and Jason's shootouts (which kept getting shorter and shorter with each new episode) but it's worth it to never see Tim Shaw again.

Fifth gear had its faults, yes tim shaw could be a touch annoying, but overall it was a good show and those saftey crashes they arranged were always interesting, and god can tiff and jason drive.

Overall monday nights have just got that bit more boring.......

I'll say what everyone says to me when I (God forbid) criticize Top Gear.

No one was forcing you to watch Fifth Gear, if you didn't like it you didn't have to watch it. If you did watch it, it was because there was actually something that made you interested enough to watch, especially if you had to download it.

No one ever said it was Top Gear. It tried to be, sure, but no one ever said it was as good. It was more informational and reviewed many, many more cars than Top Gear has the past 4 or 5 series. That is what I, and I'm sure plenty of others, were interested in: car reviews, not stupid trips to third world countries where they make assholes of themselves for the sake of "comedy."

I feel like I'm one of the few here who will genuinely miss Fifth Gear. To those who could never see the value that the show had, I feel sorry for you. To those who appreciated the show and are disappointed that its gone, I'm right there with you.

I just hope that we'll see Johnny Smith and Tom Ford go on to bigger and better things...their bits were always my favorites.

Can't say I'm sorry if it's really gone. I used to love the show, back when it felt like old Top Gear and they had Jon Bentley and it was really nice and sensible. As things went on the show got worse and worse trying to imitate current Top Gear but really it's just not their style.

With Fifth Gear dead, the presenters can at least get off to a fresh start and maybe a new show can be started that won't try to ape Top Gear.

what other show besides TG is there that is better than FG anyway? No one actually listed them haha.

From Five's website:

http://about.five.tv/faqs/customer-services?page=1

Click on Fifth Gear to reveal:

Is It true that Fifth Gear has been cancelled?

Unfortunately, yes it is. Five is proud of Fifth Gear's contribution but after 16 series, we feel it is time to try something new.

Well, at least it's finally been confirmed in some sort of official fashion. I can't believe how long they left that hanging.

Yeesh, they're being very quiet about this, almost as if they're embarrassed about the whole thing.

Maybe they're trying to hold on to their webtv viewers until the last possible minute? This week's is with Jenson Button and isn't half bad.